Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Halo 4 officially dropped from MLG, no longer considered e-sport

• 53 results
    Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brighty
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ares42

Funny how he's talking about it as if it's about the gameplay. The games MLG features has always been based on audience numbers. Halo used to be big, so it was their main feature. Then SC2 came along and blew it away, diminishing Halo to a sideshow. And now we have LoL even dwarfing SC2.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

After playing some Halo 4, I can understand why. It just doesn't feel like a Halo game anymore, at least not to me. Too many small changes here and there that added up to a very different experience. It's still well-crafted; just not sure it's for me anymore.

It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped it for more PC stuff, either. It still seems very weird to me. I first learned of MLG when it was ALL ABOUT Halo 2. The idea of MLG without Halo is very strange. Without one, I feel like the other should go as well.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

MLG and most of the games they run are pretty boring to watch anyway, there's nothing like this:

I don't mind SC2, but damn LoL is boring to watch even though I love playing the game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

eSports is all about that RTS stuff now.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

If only they were move it to PC and make it free-to-play.

That's a joke by the way (mostly).

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Esports, ehhhh

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zereta

Best thing to happen to Halo, in my opinion. Hopefully, for Halo 5, 343 just stops trying to please the un-pleasable SUPER HARDCORE DUDEBRO GAMERS and focuses on making a FUN game.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By superfriend

Some of this happened because they (Microsoft) have signed some sort of exclusive deal with Virgin Gaming (yeah, I know ha ha) and therefore they can´t support something like MLG officially.

There are actually some MLG settings and gametypes for Halo4, but since the fileshare doesn´t work you have to get them from some obscure gamertags.. and since the respawn timers of some weapon drops are also borked, they had to create one custom gametype per map. So, yeah there are a lot of really weird things going on with Halo 4- a lot of the multiplayer / forge issues really make it seem like this game was released a couple of months too early. There may be an official reason for MLG dropping it, but all the little issues have surely played a part.

Overall I think they have done the MP a huge disservice by releasing in this form and without a public beta. It´s still fun, but there are too many random elements and just flat out dumb design decisions in my opinion. They cut the Assault mode for crying out loud. That and some of the other team based modes were my favorites in previous games. Now it seems to focus on highly accessible Team Deathmatch modes and is trying to please people who can´t get a kill with regular weapons a little too hard by handing out power weapons a lot more.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Tarsier

343 dropped the ball. there is a great core game in halo 4, but there is no pro gametype settled on, and there are no pro maps settled on. they JUST got a custom forge map playlist up, but only one of the maps in there could be considered for MLG. that playlist right now is terrible. i expected much more, and there are about 5 amazing maps that they could have put in there.. i think theyre just completely out of touch with this side of halo .

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Times be a'changing, folks.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Makes sense to drop Halo, but sticking CoD in? What? Get WoW or SF or something that at least attempts balance and has an audience.

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darthslughorn

CoD seems like the wrong choice, for the same reason Halo was never popular with esports. First person games just don't work well as a spectator sport.

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wsninja

I think Quake 3 was pretty fun to watch back in the day.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cmblasko

From the article:

"There’s no official comment from Major League Gaming as to why Halo has been dropped, though it’s been mentioned that Microsoft signed an exclusive deal with Virgin Gaming giving them access to the game over MLG"

I could see that being a big reason; even if MLG would have still been allowed to carry Halo per the deal between Microsoft and Virgin, they might have wanted to send a message by excluding Halo 4.

@Zereta said:

Best thing to happen to Halo, in my opinion. Hopefully, for Halo 5, 343 just stops trying to please the un-pleasable SUPER HARDCORE DUDEBRO GAMERS and focuses on making a FUN game.

IMO, you can't have a large casual audience without a stable, dedicated hardcore crowd when it comes to FPS games.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rotnac

So, does this mean all the "Halo pros" have to get regular jobs now?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheHBK

E-Sports are fucking stupid

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ehker

@Zereta said:

Yup, good way of looking at it, as it'll defiantly push them to evolve the series. Now if sales slowed enough for Call of Duty to get shaken up.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Peanut

Maybe now they'll actually focus on making the game better, instead of treading a fine line to appease these kinds of people.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon

@Peanut said:

Maybe now they'll actually focus on making the game better, instead of treading a fine line to appease these kinds of people.

These kind of people are the people who actually put time into the game, now I am not the type of person who hates armour abilities, sprint, and such but really, I could care less what the people who put a grand total of two hours into the game think, it is ridiculous the the developers are expected by some to only cater to them. Halo 4 walked a line between hardcore and casual, it did a very good job all in all.

Halo 4 is a very fun game by the way.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlastProcessing

What about Tsquared?

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By stokes

@TheHBK said:

E-Sports are fucking stupid
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By big_jon

Personally I think anything that can lead to things like this has its awesome elements.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrfluke

hopefully this humbles down 343 now, especially the dropoff in xbl numbers,

halo 4 is a very fun game, but the way 343 was running their mouth in their videos and comparing it to the actual game, they were pretentious to the max.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BigBoss1911

Theres absolutely nothing competitive about call of duty or Halo 4 for that matter, playing something that requires skill like Marvel Vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, or even Halo 1-3 would actually be somewhat interesting to watch.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ch3burashka

Sucks for them, but I don't watch e-sports anyway. I'd rather be playing than spectating.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By BBAlpert

I will say that he brings up a good point about the element of randomness being a potential problem for tournament play. At least assuming the parts that are random can't just be disabled or standardized (I haven't actually played 4 so I don't know whether that's the case).

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By haffy

@BigBoss1911 said:

Theres absolutely nothing competitive about call of duty or Halo 4 for that matter, playing something that requires skill like Marvel Vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, or even Halo 1-3 would actually be somewhat interesting to watch.

How do Cod and Halo 4 require no skill? Every game you've mentioned is dependent on how capable your opponents are. What makes those two particular games any different?

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Jayzilla

eSports. Sports for dudes who aren't good at sports. if you want to watch real geniuses go to work, watch competition chess or Scrabble.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By haffy

@Jayzilla said:

eSports. Sports for dudes who aren't good at sports. if you want to watch real geniuses go to work, watch competition chess or Scrabble.

Actually don't know if you're being dumb or joking.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TruthTellah

343 clearly put players possibly having more fun and variety over time over the interests of maintaining it as an eSport. Which, to me, is nice to see. I love eSports, but developers shouldn't necessarily have to keep catering to it. First and foremost, most games should be fun, even if that comes at the expense of their professional viability.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BigBoss1911

@haffy said:

@BigBoss1911 said:

How do Cod and Halo 4 require no skill? Every game you've mentioned is dependent on how capable your opponents are. What makes those two particular games any different?

Its not that they require no skill at all, its just that if MLG is supposed to be composed of good game players, they should play games that are balanced and deep. Call of Duty is really shallow.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zereta

@cmblasko said:

@Zereta said:

IMO, you can't have a large casual audience without a stable, dedicated hardcore crowd when it comes to FPS games.

I do not comprehend how this makes sense?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SomeDeliCook
    @darthslughorn said:

CoD seems like the wrong choice, for the same reason Halo was never popular with esports. First person games just don't work well as a spectator sport.

Counter Strike
    TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I've never liked FPS based "eSports" (God, I hate that term.). I find fighting games and RTS are better suited for me and a general audience. 1. You see the action from both sides at the same time instead of from the view point of one player. And 2. A lot more strategy is involved I feel.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Peanut

@big_jon: I never said it wasn't fun. Perhaps saying "make the game better" wasn't the correct statement either, when what I really mean is that I want it to change in more significant ways. Again, maybe now that they don't have this secondary pressure to appease the MLG "pros" they'll be willing to take bigger, more interesting risks with the multiplayer.

Then again, maybe there simply isn't enough to change with the formula anymore and it is what it is, now and forever. It's unfortunate, but if that's the case I have zero interest in playing Halo multiplayer anymore and very clearly I'm not alone.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By big_jon

@SomeDeliCook said:

@darthslughorn said:

Counter Strike

Halo 2 and 3 built MLG.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By strainedeyes

What exactly are the "Halo-cores" issues with 4?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By KaneRobot

I like Halo 4 and couldn't care less about "E-Sports," and now I am posting in this thread.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By colourful_hippie

ok

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By pweidman

Whatevs. I still really have fun with the mp, BTB especially. Need more maps though.

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dooscent

@StrainedEyes said:

What exactly are the "Halo-cores" issues with 4?

Not speaking from any sort of personal preference -- I think a lot of the stuff the "Halo-core" people liked involved holding points where heavy/important weapons drop, and timing for when the weapons would initially and re-spawn. Replacing that completely with Loadouts and Ordinances completely removes that aspect.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cmblasko

@Zereta said:

@cmblasko said:

@Zereta said:

There's never really been a successful, long-term multiplayer FPS that didn't have a core group of competitive gamers lauding it to attract a casual audience.

Maybe it would have been better if I had said that if an FPS game isn't built with competition in mind, it will have a short shelf life and fail to find a large audience. Halo 4 is kind of proving that right now.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zereta

@cmblasko said:

@Zereta said:

@cmblasko said:

@Zereta said:

There's never really been a successful, long-term multiplayer FPS that didn't have a core group of competitive gamers lauding it to attract a casual audience.

Maybe it would have been better if I had said that if an FPS game isn't built with competition in mind, it will have a short shelf life and fail to find a large audience. Halo 4 is kind of proving that right now.

Ah I suppose I do see where you're coming from. I disagree with it but it is a valid point.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Poor Captain King. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@Zereta said:

@cmblasko said:

@Zereta said:

I don't think that's true, considering how popular Left 4 Dead is.

I see your point. But it's not a hard-and-fast totem rule.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DonPixel

That's actually kind of a shame..

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EXTomar

There might be a technical issue as well. If there is no way to host a spectator or manage teams then it limits orgs like MLG because they have to rig something to generate a feed that frankly looks sloppy. It makes it more difficult to do something like invite 32 teams, play and track them all simultaneously in a tournament allowing PPV subscribers to switch between any of them if the game's server tech doesn't support it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chrissedoff

Halo 4 is a fun game, but they don't let you melee your teammates anymore, so it's no wonder it's no longer recognized by the MLG, honestly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.