Halo 4 UNSC weapon video.

#1 Edited by big_jon (5708 posts) -

I am liking the look and sound of them all aside from the Rocket launcher, it really sounds quiet, and weak (like a slight breeze blowing through a partially open door or something like a dog whistle) to be representing an anti tank weapon in my eyes.

The new sound design is pretty different from the past Halo games, I for one find it pretty refreshing.

#2 Posted by Rotnac (595 posts) -

It's... definitely a departure from the previous games. The Railgun gave me goosebumps (can't wait to try it out this fall!) and it's a pleasant surprise to know they're still keeping the shotgun in the game.

I've played the video over several times with a good pair of headphones and I'm just not feeling the sound for some of the weapons. They just don't correlate to how powerful some of the weapons look -- they sound weak or... something. The DMR and BR sound almost identical and not powerful enough. The sound of the SAW reminds me of the Halo 2 SMG which may or may not be a bad thing (the way the thing looks though, in my opinion, it should pack more punch). I'm personally digging the new sound the Rocket Launcher makes. But that Railgun... they just got that shit right on that Railgun... The AR sounds cool too... but that Railgun... do want!

It'll be interesting to see/hear how different the covenant weapons are. I only hope that they don't botch the sound of the Needler, it's become so iconic that changing it would be like changing the formula to Coka-Cola.

#3 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

Sounds really awesome. Game looks a lot better than in previous builds.

#4 Posted by GTCknight (653 posts) -

After seeing and hearing the weapons in the video. I feel like they got half and half right, some of them look as though they be packing more of a punch. However, I will hold my complete judgement as depending on design it could make sense.

I will note that the rocket launcher doesn't sound at all like a rocket launcher should sound like to me though.

#5 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3182 posts) -

I would love to use the SAW.

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Very hit and miss, the magnum still sounds like its fucking weak (yet its one of the strongest guns) and the shotgun lacked punch...but meh, I'll forget that in 5 minutes once I get my hands on the game.

#7 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

assault rifle sounds nice and thats about it..... the pistol sounds horrible

#8 Edited by yoshisaur (2612 posts) -

I don't know, I like the sound of the rocket launchers, actually. I don't feel alone in saying that Halo is "futuristic" and I have a feeling sound projection is something most likely upgraded in those types of weapons. More efficient launching systems generally means a quieter shot.

EDIT: Damnit, now you went and got me all excited for Halo 4 :/

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

I generally like the weapon sounds, Halo takes place in the years of 25XX, so it would be safe to assume that the UNSC have developed more advanced systems to launch projectiles from the rocket launcher for example. The pistol sounds a bit weak though, and the rail-gun sounds like a beast, which makes sense since it is based on the most powerful weapon technology in the UNSC arsenal (the Magnetic Accelerator Cannon).

#10 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

I thought most of the guns sounded OK. That shotgun sounds weak as hell though.

#11 Posted by DharmaBum (1038 posts) -

Glad you chose the non-dubstep version of that trailer.

Promethean pistol if you pause at 0.48 right after he shoots the rocket?

#12 Posted by Brendan (7670 posts) -

Sounds good. I don't understand the comments talking about how weapons don't sounds like they "should". It's almost 600 years in the future, they have creative licence to develop weapons that are very different from modern ones.

#13 Posted by big_jon (5708 posts) -

I am surprised that no one has mentioned how awesome the Sniper rifle sounds.

#14 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@big_jon said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned how awesome the Sniper rifle sounds.

I was just about to. I saw some video the other day (no idea where) that featured the sniper and it sounds kick ass.

#15 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Soo excited after watching this!

I think they all sound great, i actually like the soft sound of the Rocket Launcher.

#16 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Never underestimate the Magnum, people.

#17 Edited by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

Looks good, sounds good. I really want to get my hands on that railgun >:)

On a side note, I think their introducing killstreak mechanics a la COD is a good move. The franchise needs to start evolving, even if it's just by imitation at first.

Edit:

@Lebensbaum said:

Glad you chose the non-dubstep version of that trailer.

Promethean pistol if you pause at 0.48 right after he shoots the rocket?

good catch sir!

#18 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

So is the SAW a LMG? Has Halo ever had an LMG? I'm pretty sure that yes....but I can't seem to remember....

Also those guns sound pretty good and different, except the magnum.

#19 Posted by big_jon (5708 posts) -

@Vinny_Says: Never has, It's a welcome addition in my eyes.

#20 Posted by CODA117 (30 posts) -

Looking foward to the Railgun!...sooo excited! >_

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.