I have Halo 4, but can I play it?

#1 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

So here's the question! I work at a video games rental store, we've got Halo 4 in and we're authorised to rent it out before release (so that's all dandy), but I do know that a few weeks ago Microsoft were banning accounts for playing early. That was with a pirated copy though, presumably before review copies went out, and before stores started to get their stock.

So my question is, can I throw Halo 4 into my Xbox now and not have to worry about being Xbanned, or should I play offline?

Thank you good Bombardiers :D

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

I would ask Microsoft to make sure and explain your situation.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@Obinice

So here's the question! I work at a video games rental store, we've got Halo 4 in and we're authorised to rent it out before release (so that's all dandy), but I do know that a few weeks ago Microsoft were banning accounts for playing early. That was with a pirated copy though, presumably before review copies went out, and before stores started to get their stock.

So my question is, can I throw Halo 4 into my Xbox now and not have to worry about being Xbanned, or should I play offline?

Thank you good Bombardiers :D

I would play it offline just to avoid your friends constantly sending you messages, frankly.
#4 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2298 posts) -

The only reason Microsoft is banning accounts for playing the game early is because those people had illegitimate copies of the game. I have never heard of people being banned for playing a real copy of the any game early. You should be fine.

#5 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

As long as you have a legitimate copy of the game I don't believe Microsoft will ban you.

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3869 posts) -

@Obinice: I think you're alright to play, especially if you're authorized to rent it out. I'm curious is that a normal thing? I remember recently I saw Dishonored at a local video rental place the weekend before it was released. I thought they were breaking street date but maybe that was the same deal?

#7 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

@Obinice: Want double XP for 200 matches? I got a Dorito code for double XP and I ain't getting Halo.

#8 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2389 posts) -

Yup.

#9 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

Thanks folks, a few thoughts for, a few against, I think I'll live life on the edge and go for it :P

@TheSouthernDandy: I can only get it because I work there, we certainly wouldn't rent it or sell it to anybody until the day of release! And staff can't always get everything early, I guess it's down to company agreements.

#10 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Awfully kind of you! I wouldn't say no :)

#11 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3869 posts) -

@Obinice: Ahhh I see. So they DID break street date. Dirty rascals.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

That's strange that you are allowed to rent it 7 days before release day

#13 Edited by believer258 (11907 posts) -

I would make an alt account and never take that account online, just to make sure.

I would then make sure that everyone knows that I will be too ill to leave the house or even answer the phone on the coming Saturday and should be much better Monday morning.

Seriously, you should be A-OK. I hear about people getting legitimate copies of games early all the time and they don't get banned.

#14 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

I think its close enough to the release date that they wouldn't ban you. I'm sure Microsoft is aware that some businesses do things like yours, and that some places break street dates.

#15 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@Obinice said:

we're authorised to rent it out before release

Why would they authorise renting it out before release? That seems counter intuitive as it'd eat up day 1 sales, unless they're getting some type of hefty cut from the rentals but even then that's kind of a slap in the face to the people who actually pre ordered the game. 'Yeah you renters, you get to play before release. You pre orders, wait like everyone else.' Weird.

#16 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Nope if you rent it out to people they're fucked.

#17 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

There seem to be around 70 or so people playing Team Slayer at any given time these days. I don't think they're all press. Don't know for sure, though.

Staff
#18 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Think about it logically:

There is potential that people could get the game early without ever realising they were getting it early, and you can just imagine the shitstorm of Microsoft banning several accounts belonging to people whose only crime was to purchase from someone who broke the street date or whatever.

You are fine.

#19 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@Obinice said:

we're authorised to rent it out before release

Why would they authorise renting it out before release? That seems counter intuitive as it'd eat up day 1 sales, unless they're getting some type of hefty cut from the rentals but even then that's kind of a slap in the face to the people who actually pre ordered the game. 'Yeah you renters, you get to play before release. You pre orders, wait like everyone else.' Weird.

Apologies, let me clarify :) We (as in staff members) are authorised to rent it out (to ourselves). Not to customers! lol, that would indeed, if you'll excuse the expression, be a dick move.

#20 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@Obinice: I know for sure that played the entirety of Halo: ODST before it actually came out because Amazon sent it out early. I know because I watched him do it. You are probably in the clear.

#21 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@Obinice: Ah okay. makes more sense, perks of the job. Now I just have this funny image of you renting the game to yourself, better watch those late fee's :P

#22 Posted by ShockMister (1 posts) -

@Obinice: Ha i was about to make this very same thread.

Glad to hear that it should be alright to play online.

#23 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

You should be entirely fine, honestly. Review copies have been released and Microsoft is generally looking for pirated copies, not authorized discs. I'm sure they have some sort of way of tracking a signature of some sorts, and you obviously have a retail copy.

#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I would make an alt account and never take that account online, just to make sure.

This is your best bet. Even though you really don't have anything to hide, it'd save you the time and effort having to explain your situation to the suits if they addressed you about the situation.

#25 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Obinice: Want double XP for 200 matches? I got a Dorito code for double XP and I ain't getting Halo.

Sure. Give double XP to the guy who got the game five days early.

Would you also like a handjob, sir?

#26 Posted by gaminghooligan (1445 posts) -

@Obinice: former blockbuster employee here. Unplug your ethernet chord or turn off wifi, as long as you don't connect to live your fine, but when you do they will most likely lock your account if you're playing the game since there has been so much trouble pre launch for this game

#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@awesomeusername said:

Who cares? It's all over Dorito packs and Mountain Dews. Get yourself to the store and just record the codes on all the packs you want. It's double XP. It's not a free game.

#28 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1975 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@awesomeusername said:

The jealousy is strong in this one.

#29 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

There's a thread on GAF by a guy who got his console and account banned. Even if Microsoft reverses it, don't risk it. Its not worth the frustration.

#30 Edited by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

As long as your copy is legit you should be fine.

If you were any consumer who happened to stumble into a store that was breaking street date, buy the game, and play it - Microsoft won't punish you for doing nothing wrong.

I just did a quick search on twitter and a few people have asked this very question to Xbox Support, their official stance is "We recommend just waiting until Tuesday." So that's a good non-answer.

#31 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Personally, I wouldn't play multiplayer just yet.. I'd play campaign offline (disconnect your wifi adapter/ethernet cable and enjoy)... but I'm paranoid.

#32 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@awesomeusername said:

Who cares? It's all over Dorito packs and Mountain Dews. Get yourself to the store and just record the codes on all the packs you want. It's double XP. It's not a free game.

Lol, I was quite obviously joking. Couldn't give a shit less about Halo multiplayer. Just funny to give the earlybird the code.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.