Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Length in comparison to other Halos

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on the game's length in relation to other Halo games. One of the only things I found disappointing about Reach was the length of the campaign, it was a little short when put beside 3, 2 and 1 (But it was oh so sweet). Perhaps that was because there were whole missions that took place in a vehicle or something, I don't know, but it felt shorter. My memories of Halo 3 make me remember it as the longest Halo, but maybe that's just plain false, I don't know. Anyway how long is this game?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

It felt like 6-7 hours. Unlike previous Halo games, Halo 4 has no bullshit filler content. It's all meat. So in that respect, you are getting significantly more bang for your buck even if the hour-count doesn't sound appealing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

Me and my buddy ran through it in 7 hours on co-op legendary but we've been at these games for 11 years.  It was 7 awesome hours, as stated above.  There was one, possibly two sections that felt like padding but they didn't last long.  All in all, I didn't notice much of a difference in terms of length with the previous games.  All depends on the difficulty (and co-op makes things much easier since they're pretty nice about respawning your buddy quickly).  

Game was fantastic front to back, I think.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By HairyMike87

It did feel much shorter in comparison, but there is some great variety to the game. It's not going to feel like a Bungie game, but it's not a bad thing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Great responses, sounds like I have something amazing to look forward to!

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By hawkinson76

I've been told its a good size. Maybe even a little too long, at least according to Jeff, and he would know.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MegaLombax

The length was just right for me. It didn't overstay its welcome. By the end of the game, I didn't feel like I needed more from the campaign. Its definitely a solid start for the new Reclaimer trilogy.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vonocourt

Six hours on normal, which i thought was totally fine. Unlike Reach where I got tired a good two hours before it ended.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By grilledcheez

My friends and I (4 people) ran through it in just over 3 hours on Legendary...I don't remember being able to do that on other Halos. Having said that, this is almost a different Halo entirely, very interesting direction.

(This was according to the game play time, I think it may have been closer to 4 hours because there seemed to be some tracking issues)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

@hawkinson76 said:

I've been told its a good size. Maybe even a little too long, at least according to Jeff, and he would know.

Jeff is not a good metric on time , he still think a 4 hour campaign is ok for 60 bucks non sense I say , and no the vehicles sections in HL2 do not overstay their welcome Jeff .... THEY DO NOT >:3

7 hours seem a bit too little for me , but granted Im the kind of dude that likes his games long :/ tho I think Reach is the most perfect of Halos , apparently it is short , I dunno D: ... wait what was the question?

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By hawkinson76

@Aetheldod said:

@hawkinson76 said:

Jeff is not a good metric on time , he still think a 4 hour campaign is ok for 60 bucks non sense I say , and no the vehicles sections in HL2 do not overstay their welcome Jeff .... THEY DO NOT >:3

7 hours seem a bit too little for me , but granted Im the kind of dude that likes his games long :/ tho I think Reach is the most perfect of Halos , apparently it is short , I dunno D: ... wait what was the question?

I was talking about penises.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah. The game's duration is fine. Definitely not the issue that campaign struggles with.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It felt longer than Halo 3, which on the short side for me, but still not as long as Halo 1 or 2 - all in all, I don't think the length is something to be worried about, also the game pretty much avoids any and all filler content to stretch out the gameplay, and I found that I could down right skip quite a few encounters if I didn't want to fight them (playing on Heroic).

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bell_End

i never felt reach was too short.

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nhoj_Sllew

I think the stat page doesn't account for deaths and such. it also didn't count level 4 and 5 for me so I wouldn't give it too much credence.

that said I think its a good length, the plot really moves alone for a halo game and nothing felt like filler. plus it is fun!

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Rave

Keep in mind there is the spartan op stuff that could add a significant amount of playtime to the game. It can also be done solo doesn't need to be multiplayer

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By morkaithewolf

@project343 said:

It felt like 6-7 hours. Unlike previous Halo games, Halo 4 has no bullshit filler content. It's all meat. So in that respect, you are getting significantly more bang for your buck even if the hour-count doesn't sound appealing.

Pretty much what this duder said. Me and a buddy ran through it on Heroic (Been a while since we played Halo and we just wanted to see the story basically) around 8 hours but that includes us spending about an hour trying to break one specific level thanks to the friendly co-op spawning (We did it to prove a point, no other reason xD ).

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By lumley

I'm half way through the campaign playing Heroic solo and I've spent about 3 1/2 hours on it so far. So yeah, 7/8 hours for a solo run through sounds accurate.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

@xyzygy said:

Hey guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on the game's length in relation to other Halo games. One of the only things I found disappointing about Reach was the length of the campaign, it was a little short when put beside 3, 2 and 1 (But it was oh so sweet). Perhaps that was because there were whole missions that took place in a vehicle or something, I don't know, but it felt shorter. My memories of Halo 3 make me remember it as the longest Halo, but maybe that's just plain false, I don't know. Anyway how long is this game?

That's strange, I always remembered 3 as the shortest one, it's the only game I've ever beat twice in one sitting and I felt like it was about 5 hours or so. I could never finish Reach myself but that's cause I got bored and the multiplayer was more exciting.

Halo 1 always feels like the longest to me, but that's probably because it tends to drag more.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#20  Edited By sammo21

Feels about the same, in my opinion. Even the pacing is about the same. I think Halo 1 has the worst overall pace which can make it feel longer. Halo 3 probably is the shortest.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rawrz

I finished Heroic in 8 hours solo and at least felt longer to me then 3 and Reach did. Then again maybe thats because I was learning how to deal with new enemies unlike those games where I already knew how to deal with them all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.