Lengthy ViDoc on Infinity Multiplayer

#1 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Lots of footage and talk about their motivations behind multiplayer. They're merging all modes - Campaign, Spartan Ops, War Games - under one persistent career and trying to make the game more accessible for a new audience. There will surely be some controversy over things like not being able to drop the flag, not getting unscoped while being shot, and of course all the new loadout customization options. It remains to be seen how base player modifications will affect gameplay balance on a competitive level, but I'm willing to give 343 a chance with their decisions because the game does look great overall.

Also looks like they're having playlists organized by specific gametype, perhaps to better hone skill-based matchmaking:

#2 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Ok I don't really like the join in progress thing.

#3 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

Thanks for posting duder.

@MideonNViscera said:

I like it, it's absolutely miserable when your 2 on 4 or even less than that in previous Halo games. You could argue that you could just quit out but in 3 you'd lose xp and in Reach you would lose your jackpot benefits.

#4 Posted by Lumley (964 posts) -

That was awesome, I can't wait for this god damn game!

#5 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

I was skeptical at first, but I'm really liking what 343 is bringing to Halo 4. I too would agree that join-in-progress, and even killcams, are a welcome addition to Halo. I always hated waiting for my friends to end a game when there were open spots on their team.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

No PC release makes me a sad panda, but this looks great. It's almost enough for me to cave and renew my Gold subscription.

#7 Posted by Trav (240 posts) -

I don't know, if there's a flood gametype, I have a feeling they're going to utilize those assets in campaign too. I really didn't want flood in campaign, but hopefully they've made the interactions with them more entertaining.

#8 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

"big team infantry slayer", finally there won't be some guy in a scorpion (or in this case a mech) getting 30 kills without dying

and everything just looks great, glad there's incentive to rank up now with the specializations and weapons, instead of just unlocking a picture and different armor

#9 Edited by Rotnac (817 posts) -

It's amazing the kind of stuff they're able to still pull off with 7 year old hardware! Really looking forward to trying out everything H4 has to offer.

@Irvandus said:

@MideonNViscera said:

I like it, it's absolutely miserable when your 2 on 4 or even less than that in previous Halo games. You could argue that you could just quit out but in 3 you'd lose xp and in Reach you would lose your jackpot benefits.

It's still certainly fun though when you're able to win a game when you're 2 people short simply by having good team work.

I don't really have a problem with the join in progress stuff. It would definitely improve Big Team 12-16 player gametypes, but I can understand the criticism if they enabled that for 4 v 4 match-ups.

#10 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I just like how in Halo matches have always been between who enters, and nobody else. The whole hop in and out thing like CoD really makes win/loss feel pointless.

#11 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

If you're a fan of competitive Halo, here's a good discussion with the lead multiplayer designer:

Random side note: I was perusing the Halo Waypoint app on Xbox and found a funny highlight video of Giant Bomb's tribute to the end of Halo 2, described here. If you search by game and select Halo 2, it should be the most recent one. Man, I miss those days.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -

I really can't wait for this game.

#13 Posted by SushiNao (52 posts) -

Ahhh, this video.. I was walking around today at work going "Oh my god" cause I'm craving this game so fucking bad. Not long to wait now!

#14 Edited by big_jon (5782 posts) -
#15 Posted by csl316 (9421 posts) -

Not really into Join-in-progress things unless it's a big team battle or something similar. One of my favorite matches ever was when my whole team dropped and I played 1 v 4. I guess I should've dropped to be courteous, but I was winning until the last 30 seconds.

Regardless, can't wait. Thank god I'm off that week.

#16 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

@big_jon: whoa, thanks for posting that - had no idea people already got a chance to play. I had to edit the ViDoc because Microsoft removed it from the official Waypoint channel for whatever stupid reason. Probably to force people to use Silverlight.

#17 Posted by Hashbrowns (662 posts) -

@Trav said:

I don't know, if there's a flood gametype, I have a feeling they're going to utilize those assets in campaign too. I really didn't want flood in campaign, but hopefully they've made the interactions with them more entertaining.

During one of the Halo Comic-Con panels Frank O'Connor straight-up said "you will not be fighting any Flood in Halo 4". They'll very likely be mentioned in Halo 4, and I'm sure they'll make appearances in Halo 5 and 6 in some capacity, but rest easy knowing there aren't any "The Library" or "Cortana" levels lying in wait in Halo 4.

#18 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2402 posts) -

It took them 3 fucking games to finally add join in progress for online games. Glad it's being put it.

#19 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3242 posts) -

They do a great job in hyping people up with these ViDocs. Very well edited, emotional, impacting, and bright. Too bad it's a facade for what will quite possibly be a very disappointing game like Reach, Halo3, and Halo2.

#20 Posted by Trav (240 posts) -

@Hashbrowns said:

@Trav said:

During one of the Halo Comic-Con panels Frank O'Connor straight-up said "you will not be fighting any Flood in Halo 4". They'll very likely be mentioned in Halo 4, and I'm sure they'll make appearances in Halo 5 and 6 in some capacity, but rest easy knowing there aren't any "The Library" or "Cortana" levels lying in wait in Halo 4.

That's relieving then, I hope plans didn't change. Faith in Frankie.

#21 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

@kermoosh: I think it's Infinity BTB actually. Sounds like vehicles will still be around, maybe even taking more priority now unfortunately.

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

They do a great job in hyping people up with these ViDocs. Very well edited, emotional, impacting, and bright. Too bad it's a facade for what will quite possibly be a very disappointing game like Reach, Halo3, and Halo2.

They've got it down to a science at this point with multi-angle camera cuts on each sentence and stirring music cues. :P

#22 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

Halo 1 was a boring game of infinitely repeating hallways.

#23 Posted by big_jon (5782 posts) -

@DharmaBum: Vehicles should have some level or priority, every aspect of the game should be fun and well balanced, including Warthogs, and the like.

Reach had poorly balanced vehicles.

#24 Posted by SushiNao (52 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@DharmaBum: Vehicles should have some level or priority, every aspect of the game should be fun and well balanced, including Warthogs, and the like.

Tell me about it! My favourite thing to do in Halo 3 was take a Warthog through hell and back, 30 barrel rolls and keep right on driving. Reach totally fucked with that, with every little bump I'd be upside down and soon dead. I reeaaallly hope that 4 has that nimbleness to the driving that I need. I'm also glad there's medium-sized maps that have some vehicles, as much as I love Halo, I feel it's a little shallow when it's solely infantry combat... I need those vehicular shenanigans, without having to go into BTB

#25 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Don't get me wrong, I love the way Halo supports interplay between infantry and vehicles. The fact that you can cover ground on a vehicle and seamlessly jump off to lay down fire at any given moment is a testament to the versatility of the sandbox. And there's nothing quite like a good match of Big Team Battle between two even teams with the constant chaos and flow on a large scale battleground.

Personally, I just never gravitate toward vehicles because it always feels like a crutch for not being able to hold your own on foot. Of course I'll hop in to complete an objective or to counter the other team abusing the Banshee/Scorpion. But it's annoying to me when I'm busy doing work, earning my kills, and then a random enemy Ghost just shows up to pester me with plasma, with no effort on his part other than holding down a trigger. I'm concerned that there won't be enough smaller scale arena maps. But I know what you mean about it becoming monotonous when everyone's just strafing and shooting each other.

@big_jon: anything will be better than Reach's Warthog that felt like it was made of styrofoam when being shot.

#26 Posted by big_jon (5782 posts) -

@SushiNao said:

@big_jon said:

Tell me about it! My favourite thing to do in Halo 3 was take a Warthog through hell and back, 30 barrel rolls and keep right on driving. Reach totally fucked with that, with every little bump I'd be upside down and soon dead. I reeaaallly hope that 4 has that nimbleness to the driving that I need. I'm also glad there's medium-sized maps that have some vehicles, as much as I love Halo, I feel it's a little shallow when it's solely infantry combat... I need those vehicular shenanigans, without having to go into BTB

I think the hog has a lot more weight in Halo 4.

I love Halo's infantry only combat, but I also like good quality vehicle combat too. I want great, competitive infantry, vehicle, and BTB maps, and combat.

I think I am one of the few people who truly loves almost every aspect of Halo, not quite MLG, but completive none the less, I love good quality small maps, Lockout, The Pit, High ground, Guardian, Sanctuary, Turf and so on while still loving good quality BTB maps too, Containment, Bloodgulch, Terminal, and so on.

#27 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@JacobG said:

I was skeptical at first, but I'm really liking what 343 is bringing to Halo 4. I too would agree that join-in-progress, and even killcams, are a welcome addition to Halo. I always hated waiting for my friends to end a game when there were open spots on their team.

How is killcam ever a welcome feature in any game? It's a feature for the dumbs.

#28 Posted by big_jon (5782 posts) -

@Rohok: Not sure I get that but okay...

#29 Edited by SushiNao (52 posts) -

@Rohok said:

@JacobG said:

How is killcam ever a welcome feature in any game? It's a feature for the dumbs.

Positioning, weapon used, and rank of player - which gives you information about what unlocks they could possibly use - is all valid and valuable information.

-edit: damn, it even shows when someone's using promethean vision

#30 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

Man, this game has got me so excited. I'm a big Halo fan and I loved Reach but I haven't stuck with MP long term since probably 3. I really like the changes they're making though, I think I might be in it for a while with this. And that's on top of Spartan Ops which is gonna be super rad. No disrespect at all to Bungie, but it feels like 343 is a little more willing to make some bigger additions to MP then Bungie were. I might be wrong but for some reason I can't see Bungie ever doing anything like Flood mode or the transforming bases in Domination.

#31 Posted by Spitznock (598 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

Thanks for posting duder.

@MideonNViscera said:

In Reach you'd also be locked out of matchmaking for a little bit if you left too often. Back when the game launched it was fine, but now that 2-3 people leave every single match (either making your team steamroll the other, or making the other team steamroll yours), it's a joke.

If you ask me, I think Gears 3 did it the best. Have a public playlist where folks can join in progress and leave all they want, then have a ranked playlist where there are repercussions for leaving a match in progress, and people can't join in midway. It's the best solution in my opinion.

#32 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Agreed, the Gears 3 method would work perfectly, and nobody would have anything to complain about.

#33 Posted by Spitznock (598 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Agreed, the Gears 3 method would work perfectly, and nobody would have anything to complain about.

Oh they'll find room to complain.

#34 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Thanks for all the videos everyone posted in here, finally got me excited for Halo 4!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.