Moderate NAT

#1 Posted by Hef (1158 posts) -

Alright so I've been playing halo 4 just fine until today. I go to join my friend, not joinable. Friend sends me an invite and all of a sudden moderate nat may affect connections or whatever the hell it said.

So I go searching around the internet and did all the things I found.

Forwarded ports 53, 80, 88 and 3074.

UPnP has always been enabled so I never touched it.

I enabled DMZ for my xbox's static IP.

Still nothing is working and I have no idea why it all of a sudden decided to break and it's really pissing me off. If anyone has any more suggestions I'd love to hear them.

#2 Edited by big_jon (5788 posts) -

I don't know what any of this means, I rarely change my router setting because I think it's too complicated.

Halo often tells me to open my NAT, I am pretty sure it is though.

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Is it only when joining your friend? Maybe it's something on his end.

#4 Edited by Hef (1158 posts) -

@Ravenlight: I don't think so because I've never had joining problems until today or this Moderate NAT message when trying to join his games before. Plus he can join my other friends just fine while I can't join anyone and vice versa. I can matchmake but it takes way longer then it used to.

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Me and my friends have run into this problem lately on Halo 4 and to a lesser extent Black Ops 2. One of my friends can't join my games and I can't join his, so we both join a third person and then we can play just fine. Weird stuff.

#6 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

Contact Your ISP. Sometimes a New firmware is necessary.

#7 Posted by doublestack (19 posts) -

I've had the same problems through the years with LIVE and have done all your steps as well. From what I've read LIVE is quite particular and certain routers work better than others. It seems I finally get my NAT type open and then 4 months go by and i'm back to the bullshit again of trying to remember what worked. Halo games have been far and away the most picky with NAT types. Honestly at this point I am thinking of finally junking this verizon POS router.

#8 Posted by Phatmac (5728 posts) -

LEMME SEE YOUR NAT GURL.

#9 Posted by Hef (1158 posts) -

Well I figured it out. I never assigned a manual IP address and I forgot to put in my PPPoE settings again when I did a factory reset because it's on a separate tab.

It seems the big thing is to not let the Xbox choose it's own IP address. Just assign it one high in your range, for instance my range is .10 to .254 and if you assign it too low it mightbe overwritten when someone tries to connect a new device.

But it's all better now!

#10 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Hef said:

Well I figured it out. I never assigned a manual IP address and I forgot to put in my PPPoE settings again when I did a factory reset because it's on a separate tab.

It seems the big thing is to not let the Xbox choose it's own IP address. Just assign it one high in your range, for instance my range is .10 to .254 and if you assign it too low it mightbe overwritten when someone tries to connect a new device.

But it's all better now!

Yay I was about to write a response saying do just that but you dun it. What kinda router do you have, btw? I'm just curious. I had to set static IP's on all my devices on a Belkin router because it would do DHCP renewals every 30 minutes regardless of what I set the renewal rate to. Kept getting booted off my work VPN.. I do not recommend Belkins heh

#11 Edited by Hef (1158 posts) -

I have Bell (canadian) and they only use belkin hehe

#12 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

I hope they get rid of this NAT shit next gen, I've never been able to go online for multiplayer with any of my consoles, yet my PC has never had even the slightest issue.

#13 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

My nat is set to open but for whatever reason Halo 4 and BLOPS 2 say it's moderate. A year ago in the Live update beta the Live service fucked up a lot of the beta participant's nat type. A subsequent update fixed it but I noticed with the newest Live update that my nat type will say moderate in some games but open in others. Not sure if Live has anything to do with it again but I wouldn't waste your time reconfiguring your router.

#14 Posted by believer258 (12203 posts) -

My Xbox has never not had a Moderate NAT and I haven't had any problems.

#15 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Hef said:

I have Bell (canadian) and they only use belkin hehe

Must be a Belkin thing. Oh well

#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@Hef: I had a strict NAT playing halo 4, so I went to the dashboard and did the "test internet connection". Went back to halo 4 and my NAT was open again. No playing with the modem or any of that crap.

#17 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Do the ports you forwarded match the IP of your Xbox? That's the problem I had, my Xbox's IP address changed so I had to change the IP of the ports to match the Xbox.

#18 Posted by EkajArmstro (397 posts) -

If one of you or your friend has open NAT then it shouldn't matter what the other has. See if your friend changed something.

#19 Posted by OldManLight (914 posts) -

what's your network setup like? Do you have multiple routers? How are you connecting to your xbox to the router (wired or wireless) Is there a router built into your modem you got from your ISP and if yes do you have a 2nd piece of network equipment that you are using as well?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.