Multiplayer frame rate drops are a real problem.

#1 Edited by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

I'm really loving the game so far, but is anyone else experiencing brutal frame rate drops (mainly in big team matches)? Is there anything that can be done to improve the situation? Admittedly, I'm running an older Xbox at this point, but with everything else in the game so beautifully polished, this just seems unacceptable. I know the guys in the TNT were seeing it as well.

Does anyone know if 343 has acknowledged this at all? There is no way they weren't aware of it before the game went gold.

Edit: Sounds like it's confined to Big Team and Dominion games. I still think that's pretty messed up.

#2 Posted by Bawlsz (84 posts) -

I've only experienced severe frame rate drops on Spartan Ops, but the other modes are fine.

#3 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

What framerate drops? 212 matches 1 day and 3 hours played. I cant say its been a big problem. Lag on the other hand has happened bad enough about 10 out of 212.

Frame rate drops. I havnt noticed enough to hinder me.

#4 Posted by Ravelle (1406 posts) -

I've so far never encountered any frame rate problems, has been running smooth so far.

#5 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -

It looked real rough in TnT. What was that about?

#6 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

I've played quite a bit of the multiplayer and I haven't experienced frame rate drops. Lag has been bad here and there but overall it runs really smooth for me.

#7 Edited by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

@Pie said:

I'm having the same problem, those who haven't seen it and are premium members, if you watch the tnt, it's plainly apparent.

#8 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

Just finished playing an hour or two with my brother and noticed it heavily, but my story is voided because we were playing splitscreen and thats understandable. right?

#9 Posted by CatsAkimbo (644 posts) -

@Optix12 said:

Just finished playing an hour or two with my brother and noticed it heavily, but my story is voided because we were playing splitscreen and thats understandable. right?

That doesn't seem acceptable actually. Halo is known (to me at least) as one of the last franchises to still support split screen and make it as good of an experience as you can get on splitscreen. Except maybe Gears of War (and I don't recall how well it was supported in 3), I can't think of another franchise where you can play every game mode splitscreen, including campaign and online multiplayer.

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4488 posts) -

@Pie said:

Seriously. I want to know too cuz that looked fucked.

#11 Posted by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

@CatsAkimbo said:

@Optix12 said:

That doesn't seem acceptable actually. Halo is known (to me at least) as one of the last franchises to still support split screen and make it as good of an experience as you can get on splitscreen. Except maybe Gears of War (and I don't recall how well it was supported in 3), I can't think of another franchise where you can play every game mode splitscreen, including campaign and online multiplayer.

I'm of the opinion that if you're releasing a console game and it has a given mode like split screen, the thing should work just like any other mode. It'd be kind of fucked up if you were just expected to put up with frame rate hangs because you want to play locally with friends, right?

#12 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

@M3RPHY: @CatsAkimbo: Yea after I posted that it got me thinking about my splitscreen with the previous call of dutys (black ops, mw2 + 3) and halo reach and that has ALWAYS been fine. Maybe its a sign of the hardware really being stretched to the limit now?

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

I played campaign, spartan ops and multiplayer both offline splitscreen and online with friends and I've rarely seen framedrops.Not sure what's causing it.

I've got the MP disc installed and disc 1 as well, if that makes a difference.

#14 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

Haven't personally seen any here! I'm running an old-ass Arcade system with a 60gb HDD in it. Both discs installed. I don't think the install would help the frame rate though?

#15 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

The only problems I've had are in Spartan Ops, but HOLY FUCK ARE THERE PROBLEMS IN SPARTAN OPS.

#16 Posted by RubberFactory (291 posts) -

Agreed, the framerate in Big Team Battle and Dominion games is fucked. It seems like it's probably a software issue and not a hardware one, since the singleplayer pumps out more detailed scenes with just as much going on without a hitch. Hopefully they can fix it, because it's unplayable as it is.

#17 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

It's horrific in vehicle maps with 10-16 players, specifically meltdown. Just avoid big team games and you should mostly avoid it but yeah, I doubt they'll actually be able to fix it.

#18 Posted by big_jon (5783 posts) -

It happens in BTB pretty rarely for me.

#19 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -

I haven't played any Big Team modes yet, just Team Slayer, CTF, and Regicide. No frame rate issues for me yet. Remember the TNT had issues when they did Big Team type matches.

#20 Posted by therealnelsk (321 posts) -

Sounds like you guys are suggesting I should just stay away from Big Team and Dominion; I could, but don't you think it's kind of fucking broken if I need to avoid my two favorite game modes?

#21 Posted by Hemmelight (164 posts) -

The FPS drops were happening in the TNT only when in 16 player matches. Once they bumped it down to 8 players it was real good.

#22 Posted by OldManLight (914 posts) -

I agree that lag is the greater problem with multiplayer. I've hit a few framerate drops but its always because of something crazy happing all at once in big team but i've never been harmed by it.

#23 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -

Lag is a death knell to this game. Swat, particularly, becomes comically unplayable when shit gets crazy serverside.

I've had framedrops, lag "teleports", random instances of my Spartan zooming in when I haven't zoomed, random instances of my Spartan switching weapons when I haven't switched weapons, not to mention a total inability to affect anyone on the battlefield.

Trash.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.