Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

No autosaves, again? Really?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

So, my game froze a few checkpoints into a chapter and I had to turn off my 360. On hitting continue, I fully expected to get launched straight back to where I had left off. But no, for some utterly idiotic reason, 343 decided to keep Bungie's broken system of only ever saving if you quit out to the main menu.

Is there any way to change this? Because, if not, that is seriously annoying.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#2  Edited By sammo21

I don't know. I know that launch night my friend and I went through on co-op and beat the game straight through on heroic. When we were finished it didn't count that we played and beat Chapter 5 or Chapter 8. We had to go back through both from the beginning on heroic for it to count. We never exited the game or exited the single player, so I have no idea what happened there.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

It's kind of a minor thing. They probably didn't even think about it. I wouldn't have.

Anyway, I wish they would just do like PC shooters and let you save anywhere.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@believer258 said:

It's no longer like that my friend. The fact that I cursed so many times at various checkpoints in various games on PC during the last year, followed by hugging my pillow and reminiscing about spamming F5 in Crysis and Half-Life 2, says a lot about it. Alan Wake, Metro 2033, Alpha Protocol and MOH Warfighter come to mind.

Hell, fucking M a x P a y n e 3 didn't make like a Max Payne and incorporate a quick save button.. That means all is lost :P Max Payne 1 and 2 were the epitome of quick save games.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac
    @believer258

It's kind of a minor thing. They probably didn't even think about it. I wouldn't have.

Losing progress in a game that you payed for is not a minor thing. This is a huge blank check project that took years to make. For them to not add this feature is ridiculous.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By sammo21

I just started my solo legendary run. Beat the first level OK, but I noticed one thing: checkpoint saves work differently as well. You can no longer goose the checkpoint system into working for you if you are smart enough. There are ONLY the predefined checkpoints and that's it. That, my friends, is extremely disappointing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258
    @AhmadMetallic

@believer258 said:

It's no longer like that my friend. The fact that I cursed so many times at various checkpoints in various games on PC during the last year, followed by hugging my pillow and reminiscing about spamming F5 in Crysis and Half-Life 2, says a lot about it. Alan Wake, Metro 2033, Alpha Protocol and MOH Warfighter come to mind.

Hell, fucking M a x P a y n e 3 didn't make like a Max Payne and incorporate a quick save button.. That means all is lost :P Max Payne 1 and 2 were the epitome of quick save games.

Yeah, I have been playing PC games and going from saves to checkpoints is jarring.
    vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By vaportra1l

I had to play through chapter 2 3 times in a row because of this, I finally figured it out the 3rd time around, derppp.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RAMBO604

I forget who it was (I think Jeff) in a Bombcast way back in the day said if you're not saving and quitting in Halo that is all on you. And that quitting to the menu before shutting off should be regular behavior you do in all games anyways.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

@RAMBO604 said:

I forget who it was (I think Jeff) in a Bombcast way back in the day said if you're not saving and quitting in Halo that is all on you. And that quitting to the menu before shutting off should be regular behavior you do in all games anyways.

I do this now simply to make sure my cloud saves on the 360 go through properly, cause I've had problems where I've lost like hours of progress going from one house to another, and having to redo a giant chunk of the game I already beat, when I thought I could just quickly pop in and make some progress on my game.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Seroth

@RAMBO604 said:

But when the game freezes, it's not your fault.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nightriff

You guys wanted more halo you got it, it all comes in the same package, faults and all.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RAMBO604

@Seroth said:

@RAMBO604 said:

But when the game freezes, it's not your fault.

Yeah true, its just the way Halo has been for forever. And I've never once encountered a game freezing bug in a Halo game ever before though so its never been an issue before. But honestly its really not a problem. Halo has never had particularly long levels and since 3 they've had the rally points while inconsistent in how they're spread out are at least something to drop you in mid level.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sooty

@RAMBO604 said:

Well the Giant Bomb crew seem to have a habit of not caring about things until it directly affects them.

Then again I suppose every website seems to have done that with Skyrim getting so many GOTY awards.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vitor

@Sooty said:

@RAMBO604 said:

Well the Giant Bomb crew seem to have a habit of not caring about things until it directly affects them.

Then again I suppose every website seems to have done that with Skyrim getting so many GOTY awards.

Brad bitched about this hard though. This wasn't the view of the entire bombcast and I'm surprised he didn't mention it again.

MunchChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MunchChomp

I'm saving and quitting and I now have to play Indigo Checkpoint or whatever it's called for the third fucking time in the Reclaimer mission. I even play through until after some kind of conclusive cinematic and then save & quit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.