On purpose?

Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

Was it a conscious decision by Bungie to not kill off Masterchief at the end of Halo 3 so that 343 could take the reigns and continue using him? Or did 343 just take what they were given and devise a way to make it so that they wouldn't need a new character?

#1 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

Was it a conscious decision by Bungie to not kill off Masterchief at the end of Halo 3 so that 343 could take the reigns and continue using him? Or did 343 just take what they were given and devise a way to make it so that they wouldn't need a new character?

#2 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Spoilers* 

They never killed him off. It was always this way. If you beat it on Legendary you get the extra scene of the chief floating in space. 

#3 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

The former.

#4 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Bungie probably didn't have any say either way.  It was a conscious decision by Microsoft to not let Bungie kill off Master Chief I'm sure.

#5 Posted by NTM (7321 posts) -

I'm just happy to continue the Halo franchise with Master Chief and Cortana. 

#6 Posted by Xdsk (268 posts) -
@Green_Incarnate said:
Spoilers*  They never killed him off. It was always this way. If you beat it on Legendary you get the extra scene of the chief floating in space. 
This.
#7 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

When they said "Here's a new xbox trilogy" I was expecting a new IP, but instead we got HALO 4....

#8 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@Rawrnosaurous: I don't know if they necessarily knew they would be handing the reigns over to 343 but I'm sure Microsoft made sure Bungie left it a little open ended so that the franchise could be resumed at a later date by somebody. There was always going to be a Halo 4.
#9 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

Even if they did kill him they could have probably bought him back as a Cortana style A.I. or something.

#10 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I never understood the appeal of Master Chief as a character.

What exactly makes him so special? Could they really not think of anything better to do with the franchise? It's actually a pretty interesting universe.

#11 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

They weren't going to kill a character that's worth millions of dollars, anyway it was Microsoft's decision not Bungie's.

#12 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I remember hearing when they made reach the original idea (or at least one direction they were thinking about taking) was to continue on from the legendary ending of Halo 3, so I think Bungie had some idea of where they would have taken it if they went down that path so hopefully 343 will develop on that idea whatever that was for 4,

#13 Posted by snetErz (120 posts) -

I'd like to see them dig deeper into the Forerunners. Perhaps they still exist out there after all. =O

#14 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

@snetErz said:

I'd like to see them dig deeper into the Forerunners. Perhaps they still exist out there after all. =O

I'm hoping that's what that huge portal/halo looking thing at the end was.

#15 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

That's no planet... But really I hope to see what is beyond that opening.

#16 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
I never understood the appeal of Master Chief as a character.  What exactly makes him so special? Could they really not think of anything better to do with the franchise? It's actually a pretty interesting universe.
Same here. I find him to be absolutely boring, and the very definition of a cardboard space marine. I am however, looking forward to playing the remake for CE, and Halo 4. I just really, REALLY hope that they make a good campaign. Halo 3's campaign was boring and bare bones, and I couldn't remember anything from it.
#17 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -

He never died, which people who finished it on Legendary will know. 
Whether it was Bungie's desicion or not is irrelevant really. It's what 343 does with the storyline. 

It's safe to say Im looking forward to the CE remake more than I am to playing Halo 4.
#18 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

I know that he didn't die, I just don't know if they let him live because they had a vision of where it would go or if he was alive and 343 needed him because a Halo game not by bungie is a hard enough sell that they needed Masterchief.

#19 Posted by JoeH (197 posts) -

@CandiBunni: The reason why they keep re using him is cause it's not really a character, he's become a brand now. You see Master Chief you think "Halo". Microsoft aren't gonna just throw away a symbol as recognisable as Master Chief. And really I don't mind them using him again, the Halo games have never really been about compelling characters, more about large scale "plots" with really well engineered action.

#20 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

The real reason he's still a character is because he's not really a character. 

Let me explain. Let's say they kill off Master Chief. What kind of character would the next game have? Obviously it'd have to be a strong tough military guy. That's basically all MC is. I'm not saying this as a bad thing, I'm saying it like it is.. Halo isn't exactly a game about depth of Character. Killing off MC would only mean they have to make a new character that's basically identical. This does nothing other than waste time and annoy fans who are into him. 

#21 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

With the way they emphasized showing the planet at the end of the Legendary H3 ending, I'm gonna say yeah, this was in the cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.