Regicide is complete garbage

#1 Edited by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

Simply put. It's such a load of shit, you get no benefits for being the king other than an overshield like once every 2 minutes.

NEVER get a lead as the king. EVER. You will lose. Not only will you have everyone on your dick, but you gain nothing at all from it. You will be worth 40 points a kill while you gain nothing. Literally nothing, there is no reason to try to maintain being the kill. It's best to die before you give others such a huge bounty and hope to get other regicides. Such is why this game-type fails spectacularly, trying to become the king is counter-intuitive to winning, as your point gain drastically lowers.

The overshield they give you every 2 minutes is laughable, straight up laughable. I played nearly an entire game being the king THE WHOLE GAME and what do I receive? A guy camping on the middle building in Outpost killing me and 2 others who were bum rushing me and him receiving a metron fuck ton of points, then it happens again because no one bothers to kill him because they just rush me some more. See? That is the optimal spot to be. So in the end I had 6 more kills and 8 more assists while dealing with the constant spam of shit my game, yet I still lose. It's a shitty mode.

So much rage, it's simply painful you don't get medals and points for staying king, IE Ballhog for oddball.

Edit: On a side note why does Promethean Vision have no counter

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

I have a solution: you probably should play a different game mode

#3 Edited by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: It's not hard to fix though, just add in points over time, like every other game mode like this. Just seems like it wasn't play-tested.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4329 posts) -

This sounds terrible. They should let the king get double points for kills or whatever.

#5 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

Yep, it's a terrible mode. I can't figure out why they don't just have standard FFA because I'm sure most people would vastly prefer it over the Regicide bullshit.

The more I play the multiplayer the less and less I like it (although this is probably because I've been playing too much :P)

#6 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@Gahzoo said:

@Sackmanjones: It's not hard to fix though, just add in points over time, like every other game mode like this. Just seems like it wasn't play-tested.

The brilliance of the playlist setup and the flexibility of the multiplayer mode variation in the Halo games is that they can respond to fan feedback and change that without hassle or going through the patching process.

#7 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -

Why not just lay low at the start of the game for a while and then start going after the leaders? I actually really like the mode even though it can be frustrating. I'm sure they will add regular FFA if enough people demand it. Get on those 343 boards.

#8 Posted by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

@HairyMike87 said:

Why not just lay low at the start of the game for a while and then start going after the leaders? I actually really like the mode even though it can be frustrating. I'm sure they will add regular FFA if enough people demand it. Get on those 343 boards.

See that just seems counter-intuitive and contrary to the point of the game mode, I'm sure they'll edit or something.

#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2924 posts) -

I miss the other objective based game modes added in Reach - Headhunter, Stockpile and Invasion. Invasion was a great addition that could/should of been expanded on. Overall the multiplayer modes seem a bit run of the mill. Slayer, CTF, etc.. and then no Firefight but Spartan Ops has kind of taken it's place? But not really.

#10 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Yeah Regicide sucks. I built up a nice lead in it and the rest of the game I'm constantly hunted. Then at the end I lose after basically dominating like 80% of the match. Won't play it again.

#11 Posted by UberExplodey (925 posts) -

opinionz.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

It's definitely a game mode I only play with friends. Then it's less about winning and more about hunting your friends to be an asshole.

#13 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

The game seriously needs Rumble Pit & Big Team Battle adding again, everything else is awesome though.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

I won 3 Regicide matches back to back today. Sorry, but its fine and its completely viable to still do well as the king. It is actually my go to play list honestly. I love FFA and this mode is great.

#15 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@Benny said:

The game seriously needs Rumble Pit & Big Team Battle adding again, everything else is awesome though.

Maaan. I was so sad that there was no BTB. Then I found Domination and never looked back... that mode is fucking bliss. It's like everything I could have wanted from Battlefield 2142.

#16 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

wouldnt the people who kill you become the king and then you get a point boost for killing them?

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -

Exactly. Regicide is NEVER justified. EVER.

#18 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

What do you guys mean there's no BTB? There's 8v8 on big ass maps with vehicles and shit. What am I missing here?

#19 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

ISN'T IT?

#20 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -
@MideonNViscera

What do you guys mean there's no BTB? There's 8v8 on big ass maps with vehicles and shit. What am I missing here?

Yeah I'm not sure where people are getting that info. Big Team Infinity Slayer is exactly the same as BTB
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -

@YOU_DIED said:

@Video_Game_King said:

ISN'T IT?

#22 Posted by lafajet (2 posts) -

The thing about Regicide is that as a whole it's built as what is known in game design as a negative feedback loop. Negative feedback loops are used to "even out" a game by designing systems that make it harder to extend the gap to other players when you are in the lead and easier to catch up when you are farther away (One example of this that I usually give is the Mario Kart series, where the closer you are to the back of the field the more likely you are to get one of those really good items like the Lightning or the Blue Shell). There isn't any real advantages to being the king because that would defeat the purpose of the feedback loop (and perhaps even create a positive feedback loop, where gaining the lead would make you more likely to do better and extending the gap to other players).

#23 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

@lafajet said:

The thing about Regicide is that as a whole it's built as what is known in game design as a negative feedback loop. Negative feedback loops are used to "even out" a game by designing systems that make it harder to extend the gap to other players when you are in the lead and easier to catch up when you are farther away (One example of this that I usually give is the Mario Kart series, where the closer you are to the back of the field the more likely you are to get one of those really good items like the Lightning or the Blue Shell). There isn't any real advantages to being the king because that would defeat the purpose of the feedback loop (and perhaps even create a positive feedback loop, where gaining the lead would make you more likely to do better and extending the gap to other players).

True dat. Good for party games, not for competitive multiplayer.

#24 Posted by lafajet (2 posts) -

@RustySanderke said:

True dat. Good for party games, not for competitive multiplayer.

Meh, there are enough competative game modes in Halo 4 that I'm fine with having Regicide for quick pick up and play games when I'm playing alone. It's not for everyone though, if you are a die hard competitive person you probably should stay away.

#25 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@UberExplodey said:

opinionz.

Have you played the mode he is talking about?

#26 Posted by RAMBO604 (137 posts) -

Regicide is fine, FFA always pissed me off in past Halo games because it is incredibly hard to move up the scoreboard if you were not already in the lead.

I'm more pissed that there is no SWAT, it was one of the most played game types in Reach and its been the only game type I played regularly since it was officially added and even before when you had to do custom games.

#27 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1920 posts) -

I like it just fine. I usually stand in a place where I can kill all the people blindly charging at the king.

I will agree it is kind of insane there is no standard ffa.

#28 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Gahzoo said:

Edit: On a side note why does Promethean Vision have no counter

The counter to Promethean Vision is Promethean Vision.

#29 Posted by Veektarius (4583 posts) -

Fyi - riding your dick is a good thing, it means sucking up. Riding your ass is a bad thing. It means harassing you. I hope that helps.

#30 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

I played one game of regicide, went from 4th to 1st in the last minute because I killed the king twice in a row. I will now retire that game mode forever with my perfect record!

#31 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -
@NickL

I played one game of regicide, went from 4th to 1st in the last minute because I killed the king twice in a row. I will now retire that game mode forever with my perfect record!

It's best to go out when you're on top.
#32 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2299 posts) -

I don't mind it, but I wish they would bring back classic Lone Wolves.

#33 Posted by OneManX (1680 posts) -

@RAMBO604 said:

Regicide is fine, FFA always pissed me off in past Halo games because it is incredibly hard to move up the scoreboard if you were not already in the lead.

I'm more pissed that there is no SWAT, it was one of the most played game types in Reach and its been the only game type I played regularly since it was officially added and even before when you had to do custom games.

I don't own the game, but I swear on TNT they played some SWAT.

#34 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

I actually like it. I like being hunted, and proving that I can stand my own for having the bounty. It's a fun challenge .

#35 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

@OneManX said:

@RAMBO604 said:

They totally did.

#36 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -

Rocket Race is the ONLY game mode I need... Well, also Big Team CTF. The rest of the modes can go straight to hell.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

@OneManX said:

@RAMBO604 said:

They did but they were also playing private custom games NOT playing on the public playlists.

#38 Posted by RAMBO604 (137 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@OneManX said:

@RAMBO604 said:

They did but they were also playing private custom games NOT playing on the public playlists.

Yeah SWAT is only available in private matches it is not available in matchmaking. They said they kept the matchmaking streamlined so there would would be higher player counts for everything. Which is kinda dumb people will play what they want to play why limit that.

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

@RAMBO604: Yeah, I want some damned SWAT already! Although I've really been starting to dig the chaos of KotH.

#40 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

@project343 said:

@Benny said:

Maaan. I was so sad that there was no BTB. Then I found Domination and never looked back... that mode is fucking bliss. It's like everything I could have wanted from Battlefield 2142.

Domination is basically the only mode I play. Love it.

#41 Posted by Ravelle (1184 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@RAMBO604: Yeah, I want some damned SWAT already! Although I've really been starting to dig the chaos of KotH.

I also would love the Multiple Teams battles back, those were good fun.

#42 Edited by TheMasterDS (2015 posts) -

I don't understand the kind of person who has to win at a free for all mode to be happy. Hey man, you realize when you win in a free for all game like 7 or more other people are losing? How do you think they feel? Hopefully they're just having fun.

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yeah and it sucks that Regicide is the only free for all mode.

#44 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

I have a solution: you probably should play a different game mode

This gentleman solved your problem with the very first post.

#46 Edited by PandaBear (1300 posts) -

I love how old shit just shows up on the front page sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.