Renders of all the characters in Halo 4.

#1 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

This games art style is superb, aside from some bad looking Spartan armours the new more feral Covenant, and the Imposing Promethean knights are simply great.

The most important aspect of Halo to me has always been the Covenant, and mainly the Elites. Great enemy design is something I have always found immensely important, and from the first time I faced the deadly, cunning of an Elite or the lumbering power of a Hunter I knew Halo would be important to me.

The new Cortana has a much more 'real' appearance to her, advancements in her facial capture will no doubt help to reinforce her humanity, and personal struggle in this game.
Not much to say here but I believe this to be captain Andrew Del Rio or the UNSC Infinity, based on what I have seen of him his motion capture and facial animation is impressive.
This is Commander Lasky, the main character of the Movie Forward Unto Dawn, he and Chief have a history needless to say.
Da Masta Cheef! But really I love then new look, sleeker and more body hugging, if there is one thing I have always loved about Spartans it is their lethality, and the new Chief has this in droves, he looks like a fighter jet crossed with a tank, and I love that you can see his deltoids, and the outside of his pectoral fibres just to reinforce his physical stature underneath the suit.
Commander Palmer, a Spartan 4, not sure how I feel about her, one of my favourite things about Reach's Spartans was the industrialized heavy feel of them, and when i saw Kat I was instantly pleased that the first female representation of a Spartan was every bit as powerful, and lethal looking as her male counterparts. Palmer, I'm not so sure.
As I said before Elites are my Favourite things about Halo, these massive saurian creatures mix agility, cunning, strength and, speed into one package, they don't look stupidly bulky like so many games antagonists, yet remain dangerous looking, these Commanders look amazing, feral, and regimented at the same time, these guys look like a cross between an Elite, the Alien queen, and a Predator.
The Ranger Elites, Since Reach these guys have looked great and this time they look even better, slightly stripped down, and i love that you can see thier bare faces underneath that vacuum sealed helmet.
The Storm Elite is another great example of the more stripped down less regimented, and militarized Covenant sect that we are facing in Halo 4.
Not sure I love these guys, I not very ornate for their rank, but cool non the less.
As always the Zealot is the craziest most religious Elite of them all, and one of the highest ranking too I might add. Did I mention these guys are the most deadly Elite class? It is well represented here with the angular, and ceremonial looking armour they are wearing in Halo 4, they look like Demons, badass Elite demons.
Grunt heavies, look like hotrods crossed with grunt.
Grunt Imperial, the commander class of Grunt, or what passes for one I guess.
Grunt Rangers, FINALLY GRUNTS IN SPACE!
Storm Grunts, I love the hap hasard feral look of these guys, they look like the would over run, and bite you.
Hunters are my second favourite enemy class, they are huge, scary and unique, not sure how much I like the Halo 4 Hunter, I need to see a bit more of it first.
Jackal heavy, yeah these guys look fucking scary.
Jackal Ranger, these guys are pirats at heart, finally they have Vacuum suits, it would make sense as these guys like to ambush ship, and steal their cargo.
Fucking Jackal Snipers....

The Prometheans, these guys were created to fight the Flood, and the Knight class I believe to be the Mechanical entity of what were once Prometheans, the Forerunner warrior class, meaning that these will be very lethal, and probably more so than anything seen in Halo before.

Can't wait to see these guys on Legendary.
#2 Posted by adam1808 (1373 posts) -

343 seem to be doing a great job at making the covenant more threatening. The tone of everything they've put out seems a lot more self-serious.

#3 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

343 seem to be doing a great job at making the covenant more threatening. The tone of everything they've put out seems a lot more self-serious.

I agree.

So far they've done a good job losing the bombast of the Bungie trilogy while widening the scope of their own narrative. I can't wait to see the finished product.

#4 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

@adam1808 said:

I agree.

So far they've done a good job losing the bombast of the Bungie trilogy while widening the scope of their own narrative. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I would argue that Reach was a large step in that direction, that game was sombre as hell, and the art Design followed suit putting that feeling home.

#5 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@big_jon: I meant to refer more to the core entries (CE, 2, 3), but you're right. Reach was absolutely the first step in this direction.

#6 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Wait wait wait, there are other humans in this game besides MC? Thought it was just him and Cortana at it again by themselves

#7 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

Wait wait wait, there are other humans in this game besides MC? Thought it was just him and Cortana at it again by themselves

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have avoided every piece of media released about this game so far.

#8 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

Have you never played/seen a Halo game before? This is mind boggling.

edit: never mind I don't know how to read

#9 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

That space grunt is hilarious.

#10 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Seeing this just reminds me how I only recognize Covenenant buy their general outlines, battle's usually too fast for me to pay attention to how they really look. Like, it bothers me that I can't see the grunt's faces here, but only because I can't really remember what Grunt faces actually look like - and it's the opposite for the Hunter. I feel weird seeing his head here, because I don't remember them even having heads, really.

#11 Posted by adam1808 (1373 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@HistoryInRust said:

@adam1808 said:

I agree.

I would argue that Reach was a large step in that direction, that game was sombre as hell, and the art Design followed suit putting that feeling home.

Although I agree that Reach got a lot darker, it was darker in terms of the Human vs Covenant drama. Reach was a darker side-story, and didn't have many broader implications about the nature of the Halo universe.

#12 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3187 posts) -

I just hope the Elites animate well during combat. The way they dodged and maneuvered in Reach was badly done and caused a lot of cheap moments in combat (for example, their melee animation).

#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3: I really felt like they were hyper-aware of where the reticle on the screen was, something that none of the other enemies seemed to react to. Elites would hop out of the way before you ever fired a shot in their direction. I understand Elites are supposed to be, like, the big badasses or whatever, but yeah, like you said, it's kind of tedious after a point.

#14 Edited by DharmaBum (1047 posts) -

There's just something indescribably magical about the AI in Halo. I'm curious to see how these new enemies work together and behave alongside the Covies. Impressive how much they've improved the engine, for a series that has always struggled with faces in particular.

#15 Posted by Masakari (72 posts) -

Their struggle with faces was simply Bungie sucking on making humans, or not wanting to dedicate resources to them. The motion capture for this game looks incredible, but the actual textures and models are a matter of having good artists doing them. It would suck if, yet again, they had stunning environments and then subpar character models running around in them.

It's a shame Halo 4 isn't on PC, it looks great. It will still look great on 360, but all these supersampled, AA heavy, rendered screens aren't fooling anyone.

#16 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

They never took off John's helmet because they wanted to wait until their faces weren't terribad.

(Kidding, but seriously, those faces look gewd.)

#17 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I was initially worried that Halo 4 was going to be looking a little cartoony. So far, looking good though.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Love the look of the prometheans.

#19 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Halo Reach had great faces too people!

#20 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

This game looks amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

#21 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

Grunt heavies <3

#22 Posted by CODA117 (30 posts) -

Ugh, just over a month away....Nov 6th is taking it's sweet time getting here

#23 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

Good to see there will be no Skirmishers.

Enemy variety is cool and all, but...FUCK SKIRMISHERS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.