So, what if I don't have space to install multiplayer on my HDD?

#1 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

And I don't want to delete anything? That is, unless, I've overlooked something and I don't have to install it at all if I don't want to.

#2 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

Then you're SOL for multiplayer unfortunately. Cheapest thing you can do is buy a 16G USB stick. That'll work.

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Go buy a flash drive and install it to that.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9577 posts) -

Can't you just run it off the second disc?

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Then you're SOL for multiplayer unfortunately. Cheapest thing you can do is buy a 16G USB stick. That'll work.

Yeah this. I see 8GB ones for 8 bucks, and I just got a 32GB stick for 17 bucks, so even if you have to spend a little extra... it ain't that much.

Still man, how do you fill up an xbox hard drive with stuff you don't wanna delete? Probably wiping one game install you don't play that frequently would make up the space.

#6 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@MikkaQ: It would. Most of my HDD is taken up by Borderlands 1 and Resident Evil 5 DLC. I can probably delete some of it, but why force me to do it anyway?

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk said:

@MikkaQ: It would. Most of my HDD is taken up by Borderlands 1 and Resident Evil 5 DLC. I can probably delete some of it, but why force me to do it anyway?

Well, it is nicer than swapping disks, and for the majority of people out there, hard drive space isn't an issue. I had a 20GB xbox until a year or so ago, and I was only just feeling the pressure to upgrade. But that's because I never install games, I don't really care about loading times.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: 8gb works just fine.

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

@TooWalrus: It does but USB sticks are super cheap so you might as well get a 16. More storage is always better.

#10 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk: Why keep Borderlands 1 & RE5 DLC? Those games are old and have sequels.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Kind of makes me wonder how much storage the next Xbox will come with by default.

#12 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Idk. Preliminary signs of a hoarder?

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Kind of makes me wonder how much storage the next Xbox will come with by default.

Anything under 120 would be crazy. Maybe a lower storage model for people just buying it for Kinect 2 but I have a 120 and I'm always having to clear space for new stuff. A lot of it is Rock Band songs but with the next gen being way more about digitally downloaded content they need to ship some larger storage boxes.

#14 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2177 posts) -

I really hope the next xbox comes with a good amount of memory (at least 100 gigs) and that there is only one model. That way developers don't have to throttle their games based on what model system people have.

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk said:

@awesomeusername: Idk. Preliminary signs of a hoarder?

Sounds like a new terrible television show. It'll be the digital hoarding version of that current hoarders show. Someone give me a contract!

#16 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@awesomeusername: "Man, he's got so many hard drives, he's swimming in 'em!"

#17 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk said:

@awesomeusername: "Man, he's got so many hard drives, he's swimming in 'em!"

Host: "So Michael. You have no space left on this 1TB PS3 and we need to clear space. Do you even play Lost Planet anymore?"

You: "No. That game is soooooo old. I won't ever play it again. I sold my copy too."

Host: "So I'll just delete this update data...."

You: "Don't you dare mother******!!!!"

#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I was running an original twenty gigabyte hard drive ever since I started on the Xbox 360. I just bought an old school hard drive that's 250 gigabytes for fifty dollars. I suggest you do the same.

#19 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Pure gold.

#20 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@Napalm: I thought you had to get Xbox 360 specific hard drives.

#21 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk: I'm already pitching this idea to companies. (Not really)

#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@michaelfossbakk said:

@Napalm: I thought you had to get Xbox 360 specific hard drives.

They are Xbox 360 specific. They are just third party, and they work fine.

#23 Edited by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@TooWalrus: It does but USB sticks are super cheap so you might as well get a 16. More storage is always better.

That's TOTALLY FINE, but your exact words were:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Cheapest thing you can do is buy a 16G USB stick.

Which is just not true!!

#24 Posted by Aleryn (703 posts) -

Oh, you can't play multiplayer unless you install it locally? OoOoo... I wonder if part of their reasoning is to speed up match loading times globally. Awesome of them if so. However it IS insane how that console didn't just ship universally with a 60gb from the get-go.

#25 Posted by stenchlord (227 posts) -

16GB USB memory stick, put saves and XBLA games that are under 1GB on it. The rest save to your console HDD.

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

That's TOTALLY FINE, but your exact words were:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Cheapest thing you can do is buy a 16G USB stick.

Which is just not true!!

YEAH WELL YOU KNOW WHAT??...uh....SHUT UP! THAT'S WHAT!

#27 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1374 posts) -

You have to sell the game.

#28 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

@Ghost_Cat: I see no other option...

#29 Posted by Lumley (940 posts) -

It doesn't need as much space as it says. I installed disk 1 and it took up 7Gb of space on my HDD then installed disk 2 and it only took up 3-4Gb. Not the ridiculous 8Gb's that they specify. I'm away from my Xbix so those values may be inaccurate

#30 Posted by Scroll (593 posts) -

@Aleryn: I'd assume so, and its nice not having to swap discs. It's reasonable to assume that people interested in playing halo 4 multiplayer have a sufficient hard drive for their 360.

Only dlc I keep installed on my hdd for a long time is the GTA IV expansions.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

I still have a 20 gig hard drive on my halo 3 special edition Xbox. I ran out of space just from saves dlc and xbla games. But I have never deleted any thing after they removed all those midway arcade games.

#32 Posted by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

It takes 2.5gb-3gb (at the moment) to install, so it really isn't that big of a deal. It requires 8gb, however, due to Spartan Op updates and Wargame updates. (future)

#33 Edited by project343 (2809 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@michaelfossbakk said:

Well, it is nicer than swapping disks, and for the majority of people out there, hard drive space isn't an issue. I had a 20GB xbox until a year or so ago, and I was only just feeling the pressure to upgrade. But that's because I never install games, I don't really care about loading times.

It also allows them to work under the assumption that everyone has the multiplayer map content streaming through the HDD. This means that the load times are lightning fast.

#34 Posted by Bollard (5198 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Yeah this. I see 8GB ones for 8 bucks, and I just got a 32GB stick for 17 bucks, so even if you have to spend a little extra... it ain't that much.

Still man, how do you fill up an xbox hard drive with stuff you don't wanna delete? Probably wiping one game install you don't play that frequently would make up the space.

Some of us still have 20GB (or 13 by MS standards) hard drives.

#35 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

but no matter how much storage you have you will eventually run out and either need to buy a larger storage device or delete shit you don't use.

#36 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

It's simply unrealistic to develop a fully-featured console game in 2012 and continue to be beholden to the assumption that a part of your audience won't have a hard drive. What are you people doing with an Xbox without a hard drive in 2012? Like, come on y'all. That played in 2005, but it's 7 years later. You need a hard drive.

#37 Posted by Scullinator (511 posts) -

I had to delete about 4 gigs of rock band music, Super Street Fighter with costumes, along with a few other games I dont play anymore that had a lot of download content. example halo Reach. I can always redownload right?

#38 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

@MikkaQ said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Some of us still have 20GB (or 13 by MS standards) hard drives.

Like I said above, I had one up till a year ago and was comfortable able to fit everything I needed to, including the Forza installs. I just never installed whole games to the drive. Just get rid of some old DLC or something.

#39 Posted by Sammo21 (3198 posts) -

Then you aren't playing the multiplayer, unfortunately. Absolutely dumb, yeah. Even dumber is the fact the game has frame rate issues either way.

#40 Posted by Zereta (1363 posts) -

Either get a usb stick (I think halo 4 multiplayer takes up 8 gigs) or just delete the Resident Evil 5 stuff. That franchise is fucked anyway (I kid I kid... or am I?)

#41 Posted by Lukeweizer (2582 posts) -

Just delete an Arcade game you don't play anymore. Don't delete your save file, but just the game itself. You only need around 3 gigs or so for the MP install.

#42 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Why arent you installing every game. Its what I have done since they allowed it and havent had a problem with my Xbox since.

#43 Posted by Gamer_152 (14049 posts) -

I sat down with a pen and paper, and worked out what I could reasonably delete to give me enough space, but if you don't have it then just go out and buy an 8GB flash drive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.