'Spartan Ops' Is Halo 4's New Episodic Multiplayer Mode

• 59 results
Posted by Alex (2204 posts) -
Spartan Ops will take you to the UNSC Infinity...and beyond! HAH! You see it's funny because...it's...okay, I'll just show myself out.

So today is Halo 4 news day, evidently. In addition to the details on Halo 4's Special Edition release, Microsoft additionally revealed new details regarding Halo 4's multiplayer suite. Most notably, the Spartan Ops mode.

Spartan Ops is a story-based multiplayer mode for up to 4 players that takes place aboard the UNSC Infinity, the ship that acts as Halo 4's primary multiplayer hub. The missions that take place in Spartan Ops are essentially an offshoot of the main Halo 4 campaign, with new missions released on a weekly basis that flesh out the story of the Infinity, its crew, and a new team of Spartans. These missions will allow players to "explore the corners of Requiem in these objective-based missions, and help uncover the secrets of the mysterious Forerunner world."

This mode comes in addition to the previously revealed War Games mode, which serves as Halo 4's competitive multiplayer option.

I expect we'll be hearing a whole bunch more about Spartan Ops and War Games come E3, since, you know, that's kind of what E3 is meant for.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2204 posts) -
Spartan Ops will take you to the UNSC Infinity...and beyond! HAH! You see it's funny because...it's...okay, I'll just show myself out.

So today is Halo 4 news day, evidently. In addition to the details on Halo 4's Special Edition release, Microsoft additionally revealed new details regarding Halo 4's multiplayer suite. Most notably, the Spartan Ops mode.

Spartan Ops is a story-based multiplayer mode for up to 4 players that takes place aboard the UNSC Infinity, the ship that acts as Halo 4's primary multiplayer hub. The missions that take place in Spartan Ops are essentially an offshoot of the main Halo 4 campaign, with new missions released on a weekly basis that flesh out the story of the Infinity, its crew, and a new team of Spartans. These missions will allow players to "explore the corners of Requiem in these objective-based missions, and help uncover the secrets of the mysterious Forerunner world."

This mode comes in addition to the previously revealed War Games mode, which serves as Halo 4's competitive multiplayer option.

I expect we'll be hearing a whole bunch more about Spartan Ops and War Games come E3, since, you know, that's kind of what E3 is meant for.

Staff
#2 Posted by Paindamnation (805 posts) -

I love your humor Alex.

#3 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

So the Infinity has a holodeck?

#4 Posted by nikopeters (84 posts) -

Neato!

#5 Posted by Purple_eye (64 posts) -

Spartan Ops.........really??

#6 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

Don't care about Halo 4 too much, but knew it was an Alex article, so I read it anyway.

#7 Posted by iAmJohn (6121 posts) -

@Purple_eye said:

My thoughts exactly.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (21763 posts) -

I'm not even excited for Halo 4 or anything. I just wanted to post a Buzz Lightyear pic.

#9 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I'm not even excited for Halo 4 or anything. I just wanted to post a Buzz Lightyear pic.

I approve of your post.

#10 Posted by Scodiac (470 posts) -

Looking forward to seeing more about this. New mission weekly? I wonder if that's just like the challenges in Reach or if there is actually some story involved. Anyway, it looks like Halo 4 is gonna cover all the shooter package angles but they seem to be doing it in a somewhat creative for for the universe. I've put a couple hundred hours into Reach over the years since it's release and I can see myself doing the same thing with 4.

#11 Posted by divxz (25 posts) -

SpartanOps...its no replacement for Firefight.

Too bad its a replacement for firefight.

#12 Posted by big_jon (5734 posts) -

Sounds like an awesome addition.

#13 Posted by CharAznable (784 posts) -

Never change, Alex.

#14 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

What is this? Halo Wednesday?

#15 Posted by drummand (29 posts) -

With captions like those, who needs bylines?

#16 Edited by Village_Guy (2598 posts) -
#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Episodic? Valve has proven that it's literally impossible to release more than two episodes. If Valve can't do it, what makes MS/343 think they can do it?

#18 Posted by wh1terav3n (659 posts) -

@Scodiac said:

Looking forward to seeing more about this. New mission weekly? I wonder if that's just like the challenges in Reach or if there is actually some story involved.

It's supposed to include an actual story and unique missions including cutscenes. The missions won't be campaign complexity or anything though.

@divxz said:

SpartanOps...its no replacement for Firefight.

Too bad its a replacement for firefight.

343 said that if you like firefight you'll like this, except it's more objective based. Older missions are replayable. My *guess* is that it will be like firefight with unique maps weekly, similar to firefight maps, except they force you to move around the maps to complete objectives (maybe with a final hold-out wave).

#19 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

This is fantastic.

#20 Posted by KaneRobot (1639 posts) -

I weep for the standards of what people consider hilarious around here.

#21 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Brilliant.

#22 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

I weep for the standards of what people consider hilarious around here.

I concur.

#23 Posted by freakin9 (1130 posts) -

I hope they have the balls to market this as the final chapter.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9966 posts) -

Don't say Spec Ops. These are Spartan Ops. They're TOTALLY different!

#25 Posted by Eribuster (494 posts) -

Will we get to know what happened to Kelly? I need to know what happened to Kelly!

#26 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

I thought this was revealed when they posted that video >_>?

#27 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1216 posts) -

Ops

#28 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Alex is getting really lazy, just lashing out at whatever in really un-inventive ways. I miss his clever remarks.

Also I think this whole thing sounds awesome. Great way to keep things interesting.

@Ravenlight said:

Episodic? Valve has proven that it's literally impossible to release more than two episodes. If Valve can't do it, what makes MS/343 think they can do it?

Valve is about the only person to fail with that model (not counting folks that don't make enough money off of it), and this is just a few missions that won't be terribly complex if I had to guess. Plenty of TV shows are episodic, and most of those are run by idiots.

#29 Posted by Tarsier (1065 posts) -

i really hate the approach to multiplayer this time around. i want varied landscapes i dont want every map to take place on the same got damn ship.

#30 Posted by poheroe (154 posts) -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#31 Posted by Scodiac (470 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

i really hate the approach to multiplayer this time around. i want varied landscapes i dont want every map to take place on the same got damn ship.

That's just the hub for multiplayer. I'm pretty sure there will be maps on the ship and on Requiem(the forerunner planet the ship is orbiting).

#32 Posted by Alex (2204 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: Lashing out? What in god's name did I even lash out at?

Staff
#33 Posted by pyrosim (4 posts) -

UNSC or USNC? The story says both.

#34 Posted by Tarsier (1065 posts) -

@Scodiac said:

@Tarsier said:

That's just the hub for multiplayer. I'm pretty sure there will be maps on the ship and on Requiem(the forerunner planet the ship is orbiting).

interesting.. so its like a spartan war battle ship and you walk around and get deployed to different places including the planet and other ships?

that sounds acceptable and quite cool and interesting.

#35 Posted by Stubee (379 posts) -

Hmmm..wonder if these episodic updates will be free?

#36 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Purple_eye said:

My thoughts exactly.

I would assume it is because of name familiarity, but that doesn't excuse it. Super lazy naming.

#37 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (316 posts) -
@pyrosim United Nations Space Command
#38 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

This seems like it could be pretty neat.

#39 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@EmuLeader said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Purple_eye said:

My thoughts exactly.

I would assume it is because of name familiarity, but that doesn't excuse it. Super lazy naming.

You know the audience they're aiming for!

#40 Posted by Rexicon (100 posts) -

So... that's a thing.

#41 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

@EmuLeader said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Purple_eye said:

My thoughts exactly.

It's merely a placeholder name for the mode and 343 Industries has already said this. Spartan Points, Spartan Ops, and the two names for the maps we know of (Wraparound and Warhouse) are all placeholder names.

#42 Posted by SHADOWINFINITE (545 posts) -

Awesome

#43 Posted by EchoEcho (828 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@Scodiac said:

@Tarsier said:

interesting.. so its like a spartan war battle ship and you walk around and get deployed to different places including the planet and other ships?

Not quite. That wouldn't really make sense, considering it's Spartans versus Spartans. The Infinity has training simulators on board (think holodecks from Star Trek) that create varied landscapes for the Spartans to battle each other in. The Spartan Ops mode will be where you're actually doing combat in other locations on the planet that the ship is orbiting.

@Brodehouse said:

They're operations undertaken by Spartan teams. Sounds like "Spartan Ops" is a reasonable term to use to describe them, even if its similarity to the term Spec Ops (and the mode's similarity to Spec Ops in CoD) is rather blatant.

#44 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Alex said:

@MordeaniisChaos: Lashing out? What in god's name did I even lash out at?

Just giving you a hard time :3 And it was more of a general thing, earlier you posted an article, I forgot what on, where you were a bit aggressive on the subject, so I think that's what I was getting at. But not I was not leveling an actual complaint.

#45 Posted by Tarsier (1065 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Tarsier said:

@Scodiac said:

@Tarsier said:

Not quite. That wouldn't really make sense, considering it's Spartans versus Spartans. The Infinity has training simulators on board (think holodecks from Star Trek) that create varied landscapes for the Spartans to battle each other in. The Spartan Ops mode will be where you're actually doing combat in other locations on the planet that the ship is orbiting.

@Brodehouse said:

They're operations undertaken by Spartan teams. Sounds like "Spartan Ops" is a reasonable term to use to describe them, even if its similarity to the term Spec Ops (and the mode's similarity to Spec Ops in CoD) is rather blatant.

ah, thats much less cool.

#46 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

Because Black Ops and Spec Ops weren't Ops enough.

#47 Posted by Frobitz (193 posts) -

Renegade Spartan Black Covert Special Ops you say?

#48 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

What is this Infinity they're talking about, and does it have wards?

#49 Posted by ez123 (1966 posts) -

Spartan Ops is an incredibly lazy name but it sounds really cool. Spartan Ops and Single player is where this game can make itself stand out, multiplayer might be fun but too CODified to be special.

#50 Posted by dragonboss (40 posts) -

Sounds like multiplayer is a cross between COD and Syndicate and will probably have some classic Halo type multiplayer as well. I just hope they don't mess the game up like the way Team Ninja destroyed Ninja Gaiden.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.