Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Teaser dissect

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

Have you guys noticed any detail that could have gone unnoticed on the first viewing? I noticed snow/ice at the feet of the cryopods. This leads me to believe, considering those are surely made with the best of technology, that for them to leak like this, decades, if not centuries, have probably gone by between Halo 3 and 4.

Man, I am really psyched! Them saying that they want to get rid of the colour purple in the game makes me think that the game will feel different from its predecessors. I am excited.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By TomA

The halo 1 pistol is there. Doesn't mean it's as awesome though. Also, he slapped something on the end of it, attachments??? Hopefully not. But I want the arbiter and Sarge to be in the game, so i hope it's just a few months after the third one.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By darkfury

I'll go ahead and assume that he's about to get pulled into a Shield World. If that involves encounters with Forerunners that have survived there over centuries, it'd definitely breathe new life into combat etc.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By N7

It looked like Galactus fused with a Reaper and he was aboard the Normandy SR2 and him and Shepard(USING XBOX EXCLUSIVE VOICE CONTROL!) to save the universe... Again.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yanngc33

Yo at one point Chief shoots a gun. That's my dissection

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The massive nerd in me is kind of really annoyed that the Mark VI MJOLNIR apparently has rocket boosters now but whatever. As DarkFury said that planet is almost certainly a Shield World, and quite possibly the planet from the end of Halo 3 which fans did hypothesise was a Shield World at the time. This is all speculation but it may be possible that the Shield World is Onyx and that entering it will reunite the Chief with Halsey and the other Spartans who were trapped in the Micro Dyson Sphere in the centre of the planet at the end of Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PillClinton

It looked like he was flying into a mass relay at the end. friggin' universe crossing up in this bitch!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

@Gamer_152: That would be great, but I thought that Bungie did not consider the books canon; rather, they inspired themselves from them. Reach does contradict a lot of stuff from the books, and throughout the last decade, the games have constantly reminded us that Master Chief was the last spartan alive, regardless of this being flatly untrue in the books.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By onarum

There's no need of this, all you need to know is that at one point you'll be shooting aliens in the face.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By darkfury

@Gamer_152 said:

This is all speculation but it may be possible that the Shield World is Onyx and that entering it will reunite the Chief with Halsey and the other Spartans who were trapped in the Micro Dyson Sphere in the centre of the planet at the end of Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.

Would love that. Just finished novel number 6 today, what timing! I'm glad this picks up right where 3 ended, but yeah, were those rocket boosters in the cryopod or something?!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@AuthenticM: Actually Bungie do consider the books canon, the Joseph Staten interview here shows him declaring them canon, although there are probably also other sources out there saying the same thing. While the events of Halo: Reach did contradict some of the original Halo: Fall of Reach, the book was actually edited so that the canon of the game and the book fit together.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Gamer_152 said:

This is all speculation but it may be possible that the Shield World is Onyx and that entering it will reunite the Chief with Halsey and the other Spartans who were trapped in the Micro Dyson Sphere in the centre of the planet at the end of Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.

i had this same theory after reading the book and watching the ending of halo 3

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By BasketSnake

Remember the new mario 3DS reveal. Remember the racoon tail. Remember reach. Never forget.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AuthenticM

@Gamer_152 said:

@AuthenticM: the book was actually edited so that the canon of the game and the book fit together.

What, so they republished the book? That's a little weird; retconning a book.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slaker117
    @AuthenticM said:

@Gamer_152 said:

@AuthenticM: the book was actually edited so that the canon of the game and the book fit together.

What, so they republished the book? That's a little weird; retconning a book.

At least they are trying to make a cohesive universe. As much as a hate retconning, I like it better than pretending there are no logical inconsistencies.

@TomA
    said:

The halo 1 pistol is there. Doesn't mean it's as awesome though. Also, he slapped something on the end of it, attachments??? Hopefully not. But I want the arbiter and Sarge to be in the game, so i hope it's just a few months after the third one.

I think the gun came apart when fired, and he was just reattaching the nose. Kind of weird to have a pistol segmented in that way, but that's what it looked like to me. As for bring in old characters, I actually hope they don't do that. The proper Halo arc got it's trilogy, I want to see new stuff. I'm kind of pissed they are even calling it Halo 4 because it implies so much that I think it would be better to leave alone at this point. I doubt they will go that direction, but the positioning creates weird expeditions, and I suspect that there will be a fair amount of uninformed backlash because of it.

@Gamer_152
    said:

The massive nerd in me is kind of really annoyed that the Mark VI MJOLNIR apparently has rocket boosters now but whatever. As DarkFury said that planet is almost certainly a Shield World, and quite possibly the planet from the end of Halo 3 which fans did hypothesise was a Shield World at the time. This is all speculation but it may be possible that the Shield World is Onyx and that entering it will reunite the Chief with Halsey and the other Spartans who were trapped in the Micro Dyson Sphere in the centre of the planet at the end of Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.

If you play attention you can see other elements of the armor that changed as well, from a visual standpoint at least. Probably the easiest one to notice, other than the new jet pack thing of course, are the shoulder pads. Not a big deal by any means, but annoying considering that there is no real reason for that. Same thing happened between Halo 2 and 3 though, so I guess it's just one of those things you have to put up with.

Frankie O'Connor implied pretty clearly that the planet was the one from the end of Halo 3 (and why wouldn't it be?). The Dyson Sphere seems like a pretty solid theory at this point. It's at least the most obvious way to go. Also, it was nice to see Frankie again.
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

This time he gets it on.

That's right...it.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By trylks
    @TomA said:
    @Slaker117 said:
    I think the gun came apart when fired, and he was just reattaching the nose. Kind of weird to have a pistol segmented in that way, but that's what it looked like to me. As for bring in old characters, I actually hope they don't do that. The proper Halo arc got it's trilogy, I want to see new stuff. I'm kind of pissed they are even calling it Halo 4 because it implies so much that I think it would be better to leave alone at this point. I doubt they will go that direction, but the positioning creates weird expeditions, and I suspect that there will be a fair amount of uninformed backlash because of it.   

The gun shoots grenades, or something like that, at 1:03 you can see there is one, then at the end of the trailer he reloads it. 

Looks cool to me.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slaker117
    @Trylks I am almost completely certain that is a piece of the gun itself he is reattaching.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trylks
    @Slaker117: check it again, or we can wait for a third opinion. But basically, you can see it, there is no doubt.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slaker117

@Trylks: Hm. After looking at it again, I can see it both ways, which probably means you're right. It looks enough like the classic Halo pistol with the end attached, but that's what I want it to be. A grenade round also works and makes more sense.

My bad.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By trylks
    @Slaker117: NP. Anyway, I agree it looks like the classic pistol with something attached, that's what I mean, that something attached is something that can be fired, and by the size I guess it is something like a grenade. So far the only weapon that could double (as far as I can remember) was the plasma pistol, which could shoot plasma blasts. 

So from the trailer we can guess the classic pistol can double now as a grenade launcher, depending on the ammo used, and maybe other weapons will be more versatile too, which could get as far as BulletStorm, where every weapon can be used in two different ways, (at least in the demo, I didn't play the game). 

I would like to see some combat evolution in the new Halo, we have already 3+2 classic Halos. I would even accept a game worse than the previous games, full of bad ideas, if there is at least one good idea that sticks and remains in the shooter genre (which is probably the main genre in games nowadays). Halo popularized healing (med kits were more usual before Halo), gears of war cover based mechanics, and many other games invented or popularized (by perfecting) some other mechanics, gameplay styles, etc. I'd like to see some of that in the new Halo. 

"If it ain't broken don't fix it" but we have already enough cool Halo games, IMHO, a new trilogy is a new canvas for a new story and new dynamics, I hope it is well used.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.