Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

The "lack of originality" of new weapons isn't a bad thing

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JazGalaxy

In reviews for Halo 4, I keep seeing reviewers point out that the new weapons in Halo 4 are dissapointing because they're hte same as the old weapons.

I think the thing that they're missing is... that's the point.

Halo had it's origins as a RTS game. And, as such, that meant that the two factions, Human and Covenant, were designed like Warcraft 2 factions. They had the same build tree, but different. They both had a handgun, they both had a rifle, etc. They both had a car, they both had a plane, etc.

Adding in a new faction to that scenario, it only makes sense from the backbone structure of the universe to give them an equivalent build tree.

Also, as someone who hates gimmicky, unecessary weapons in FPS games, and hates when there's too many weapons in Halo, It's frustrating for reviwers to knock the game because of it.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By algertman

After the QL "nothing new" seems to be about right.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

A lot of Halo 4's originality comes from the armor abilities. There is a lot of fantastic stuff in there. And all the Promethean weapons are spectacular.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

the needler doesn't really have an equivalent gun, the spartan laser was also quite unique when introduced.. also, wasn't the brute shot the only grenade launcher in 3? There is no need for there to be more than one version of a gun in a game where there are no factions (in the sense that you're never forced to use a single factions loadout), theres no balancing that needs to be done in this front.

There isn't really an excuse for boring weapon design.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@JazGalaxy said:

In reviews for Halo 4, I keep seeing reviewers point out that the new weapons in Halo 4 are dissapointing because they're hte same as the old weapons.

I think the thing that they're missing is... that's the point.

Halo had it's origins as a RTS game. And, as such, that meant that the two factions, Human and Covenant, were designed like Warcraft 2 factions. They had the same build tree, but different. They both had a handgun, they both had a rifle, etc. They both had a car, they both had a plane, etc.

Adding in a new faction to that scenario, it only makes sense from the backbone structure of the universe to give them an equivalent build tree.

Also, as someone who hates gimmicky, unecessary weapons in FPS games, and hates when there's too many weapons in Halo, It's frustrating for reviwers to knock the game because of it.

Yeah, but given we're ten years out from that original point of inception, you'd have thought they may have branched out a little.

Saying that, I adore the new designs.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

But dont they have some quirks to them? They are not carbon copies of existing designs are they? (By that I mean they shoot the same in all modes , do the same damage , have the same recoil/rate of fire etc.)

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@rebgav said:

People are inevitably going to complain if you misrepresent re-skinned versions of old weapons as "new" weapons.

Within the game?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EXTomar

As a rule of thumb: I'd rather see fewer, specific weapons than more, repeated weapons. I don't need a shotgun and a short-range multi beam laser and a anti-mater scattergun nor do I feel it is compelling when it is clear they are functionally the same but sound and look different.

That said I like how the new weapons in Halo 4 look but it is hard to say they are anything but copies. Keeping the "tron look" is fine but suggesting the weapons add anything more is dubious.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kermoosh

@Aetheldod said:

But dont they have some quirks to them? They are not carbon copies of existing designs are they? (By that I mean they shoot the same in all modes , do the same damage , have the same recoil/rate of fire etc.)

well i think some of the promethium weapons have an alternate fire, so there's that

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

Sounds like you're just annoyed that people wanted something more creative than a generic arsenal.
    I recognize it as a valid complaint, but like you I never find myself caring for the funkier weapons.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@rebgav:

And these UNSC weapons are already present in the game?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@rebgav said:

@Video_Game_King: This is why you have such a crazy post count, isn't it?

My powers relate more to that.

On topic, though, if this is all true, then the complaints are valid. Why bother having that space for multiple weapons if the weapons are functionally identical?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By JazGalaxy

@rebgav said:

@JazGalaxy said:

That justification only makes sense if Halo had remained an RTS. It did not.

People are inevitably going to complain if you misrepresent re-skinned versions of old weapons as "new" weapons.

I disagree. There are some things, when you're talking about design, that prop up the entire design. To eliminate certain core elements eliminates what is great about the game. Featurecreep has claimed more game franchises in the industry than I can name.

Would Halo be broken with new, different guns? No. But it wouldn't be Halo, either. The concept of deciding between the human pistol, which had no refire limit but required ammo, and the convenant pistol which had no ammo but a limited refire rate was a backbone of what made Halo, Halo. Taking that RTS dynamic and placing it in an FPS game was a giant chunk of it's charm. To me, anyhow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.