Theory On Story

#1 Posted by Arnox (22 posts) -

I already posted this in this thread but I don't think anyone saw it and I really want to discuss this so...

This is all just speculation obviously but, what if the Elites you are battling have actually gone crazy for some reason? Or, better yet, what if they were all being controlled by something else?

Or even FURTHER: What if this new threat was actually a threat of overwhelming technology, Borg style? Yeah, the flood may have already been doing this as far as controlling people but on the other hand, the Flood never gave us any cool weapons to play with or any awesome environments for that matter. (Oh look, I'm traveling through a large instestine.) At that point, if they actually made the storyline as detailed above then shut up and take my money, 343.

#2 Posted by believer258 (11046 posts) -

I'd say it's probably a threat of overwhelming technology, yeah, but so were the Covenant.

Meanwhile, I don't think the Elites have gone crazy so much as I think they're just a group that left the main force because they didn't want to join the humans. When the Covenant fell apart, it's not hard to believe that they could gather some support and followers from the Jackals and Grunts that must have scattered and probably still hold a grudge toward the humans and Chief in particular.

#3 Edited by big_jon (5661 posts) -

The books already touch on this, and the Elites are simply a sect that are anti humanity, and still worship forerunner relics, there is a huge civil war within the Sangheili society right now.

#4 Posted by Arnox (22 posts) -
@big_jon said:

The books already touch on this, and the Elites are simply a sect that are anti humanity, and still worship forerunner relics, there is a huge civil war within the Sangheili society right now.

I really hope it's not that though. That would be boring compared to overwhelming tech. Borg infection, full steam ahead.

Sorry it took so long to reply. 5 poasts per day is BS.
#5 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

I dunno I think another Flood style "parasite something that controls the host" whether its biological or technological would feel kinda lazy. They've already done that. I don't see them deviating from the established fiction, and I like where they've gone with it. It makes sense that not all the Sangheili are gonna put all those long held beliefs behind them even if its been proven to be a bunch of bs.

#6 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

Not really related to what your saying but the new bad guy is definitely the Diadact right?

In terms of the elites it's probably just Covenant splinter groups. Winning the war doesn't mean you can stop the entire species from hating you.

#7 Edited by big_jon (5661 posts) -

This is the best theory on story so far, it seems very probable, if you care I suggest you read it, it is really good.

http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/06/halo-4-campaign-what-we-know-so-far.html#more

Quote from the blog.

"I have a theory as to how we got to this point."

"Master Chief lands on Requiem, awaking The Didact. The Didact realises that Master Chief has “stirred an ancient evil” (The Master Builder, perhaps?), in order to assist Master Chief, The Didact uses Forerunner slipspace technology to teleport the Infinity (humanity's largest and most powerful ship) to Requiem before pulling it inside. In the trailer we see the Captain of the Infinity looking out of the main viewport towards Requiem, there is a definite confusion/apprehension on his face, leading me to think they could have just been teleported there - that's total speculation though.

The Didact being responsible for the arrival of the Infinity would explain his symbol appearing on the monitors as well as his eagerness to get to the crash site.

The Forerunner infighting between The Didact and The Master Builder in the Forerunner books would tend to suggest that we might be joining sides with some Forerunners against other Forerunners. It also allows for more political sub-plots which have always been a staple of the franchise.

In short, I think that The Didact will fulfill a similar role to The Arbiter in Halo 3 - Hopefully we may get a chance to play as him too!

I'd really recommend swotting up on your Halo fiction before Halo 4, well worth reading:"

#8 Edited by big_jon (5661 posts) -

@Arnox said:

@big_jon said:

I really hope it's not that though. That would be boring compared to overwhelming tech. Borg infection, full steam ahead. Sorry it took so long to reply. 5 poasts per day is BS.

I think that is a lot more interesting then the cliche of "mind control", it could lead to some very interesting conflict in the future.

#9 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

@big_jon: Yes I'm right about the Diadact then! I knew that symbol looked familiar!

#10 Edited by big_jon (5661 posts) -

@Irvandus: Yes, the large orb is likely his Cryptum, but the issue remains that he should not be evil.

#11 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@Irvandus: Yes, the large orb is likely his Cryptum, but the issue remains that he should not be evil.

Yeah I can't find anything in back story that would say why. I guess something happened to him while he was alone.

#12 Edited by Arnox (22 posts) -

Alright, it seems pretty clear that the Elites on Requiem probably are just remnants but I will still argue that a borg infection would be awesome. 

@big_jon

said:

@Arnox said:

@big_jon said:

I really hope it's not that though. That would be boring compared to overwhelming tech. Borg infection, full steam ahead. Sorry it took so long to reply. 5 poasts per day is BS.

I think that is a lot more interesting then the cliche of "mind control", it could lead to some very interesting conflict in the future.

Who says "mind control" has to be the main conflict? In my mind, it is just a symptom of a large-scale problem. And not only would it work nicely in the gameplay department in terms of giving cool weapons and levels to use and play in, it would answer some questions we already have about the story rather nicely. Now hear me out. It would explain the reason Cortana is going crazy. She could be in the process of slowly getting assimilated. Thus, two personalities are warring inside of her. Not only that, it would truly be devastating to all the races since all of them depend on such advanced technology in the first place. Now, that tech is going to get used against them directly in ways they probably never imagined. And THAT sounds like much more of a problem than the Flood.

This also opens up the usual classic metaphorical questions of whether or not it is truly a good thing to become completely mechanized or not which also could tie into the Spartans real nicely again. You see, what separates the Flood from this threat is that the Flood were just all about dominance and pure survival. Nothing else. The Infection, as I am now going to call it for lack of a better name, is the mirror image of the Flood, being about dominance and PROGRESSION instead of just survival. The Infection would open up a lot more possibilities in general than the Flood could ever do.

And this doesn't even have to carry into the other games. I, personally, would be satisfied if they just did this with one game. As always, I welcome any input on this.
#13 Posted by big_jon (5661 posts) -

@Arnox: Cortana going crazy has been a known thing coming for some time, it is established in the Halo lore that smart AIs start to go rampant after they reach 7 years of age.

#14 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

@Arnox: You have interesting ideas but the problem is there's established fiction already. There's already a reason Cortana is starting to go loony toons. There's already a schism in the former Covenant and whatnot. The devs would have to scrap huge chunks of existing fiction which seems like a bad idea.

#15 Edited by Arnox (22 posts) -
@big_jon said:

@Arnox: Cortana going crazy has been a known thing coming for some time, it is established in the Halo lore that smart AIs start to go rampant after they reach 7 years of age.

I may be wrong on this but isn't Cortana a superior sort of AI? She's already gone the full 7 years without any problems. (Well, besides that whole schtick with Gravemind anyway.)

@TheSouthernDandy

said:

@Arnox: You have interesting ideas but the problem is there's established fiction already. There's already a reason Cortana is starting to go loony toons. There's already a schism in the former Covenant and whatnot. The devs would have to scrap huge chunks of existing fiction which seems like a bad idea.

Now I think about it, the devs could still keep the established fiction. In fact the Infection would also work nicely with the renegade Elites as since they still worship Forerunner relics, it only makes sense that they would worship the Infection as some sort of way into the Great Beyond or something. Or perhaps they'll treat it like the Flood as well and think it's just another challenge set on them by the Forerunners. Either way, they can still make it work. UNLESS there's already fiction written about Requiem. In which case, they might have to take the Reach approach. Everything in the books is canon except for the parts that the games say are different.

I think we all need to remember though that no matter how good the books are, it's not the fan writers IP, it's still Bungie's/343's.
#16 Posted by Scodiac (449 posts) -

@Arnox said:

@big_jon said:

What they've done is much more believable within the established universe. This "borg infection" idea seems done before and a little too easy. What they're probably going to do with the Forerunner threat is more unique to Halo's universe and not just mimicing the "borg" from Star Trek. At one point thousands of years earlier in the Halo universe the Forerunners ran everything. They were actually able to impede species'(ie. humans) evolution because they were becoming a threat to them.

That concept is more just more Halo and it's interesting so it would be cool if they play with that in some way. Maybe, The Didact or Master Builder has been awakened from his Cryptum by Master Chief's accidental arrival on this shield world and is now looking to bring the Forerunner society back to it's full potential which is basically Godlike from a human perspective and put the other inferior races back in their place.

That guy's theory that @big_jon posted seems very close to what it will most likely be and that excites me. That's the direction I want them to go because they've been building this universe well and going in that direction seems right. I think the more reasonable fight for power between ideals is just better. I like that whole species can be divided by what they think is right, Different species that are at different stages of evolution and techological progression band together to fight for an idea. That's more interesting to me than fighting a massive faceless evil that destroys the independent mind. That's not horrible but it's very similar to what was done with The Flood which I don't want to see again.

Halo 4's story will defintely pop for fans who have been reading the books. I think it will be amazing to see things from the novels come to life on the screen as the game carries the universe forward right from where they left off. 343i is just doing a great job of making all the things they put out come together cohesively. They've certainly got a lot better at it over the years. I really believe this era of Halo will trump the first when it comes to narrative.

So, if you're that into it I'd recommend reading some of the novels. They're actually pretty entertaining, as well.

#17 Edited by Scodiac (449 posts) -

@Arnox said:

@TheSouthernDandy

said:

I think we all need to remember though that no matter how good the books are, it's not the fan writers IP, it's still Bungie's/343's.

The writers 343 brings in aren't "fan writers". They're professional fiction writers who are contracted to flesh out the universe. 343's development of the universe used to conflict with Bungie's but since it's all 343 now everything that is released from novels to comics is part of the cannon. 343 has said that they want everything to matter and nothing they put out will just be brushed off like it didn't happen within the fiction. They're definitely putting an effort into making all the pieces fit together.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.