um, guys?, i think this game is in trouble.

• 70 results
#1 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -
#2 Edited by believer258 (11800 posts) -

I don't think I ever saw Halo Reach get numbers as high as Halo 3. There were regularly 200-300 thousand people on there or more for several years. EDIT: And by that number, I mean "at any given moment", not "over the course of a day". /EDIT

Anyway, this is how multiplayer populations go. A whole lot of people play it for a month or two and then it levels off to a dedicated group of players.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

This game already came out and sold a ton. Even if it doesn't stay popular for years, it's already a success.

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

i mean shit, it had the worst campaign out of the bunch,

but it was still the best playing, sounding, and looking halo imo. i guess people reallly dont like the multiplayer.

really curious to see when halo 5 comes out, how much are jumping on board, halo 5 might get a pass since it will have that "next gen shine".

#5 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

People have moved on I think, cross-reference COD's playerbase.

#6 Edited by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@believer258: yea but that steep of a drop though? those numbers for halo 4 are nuts.

@TooWalrus: true, but imagine morale in 343 is a bit low to see this sharp of a drop though.

#7 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

I guess that is how the landscape is these days, but it always hard for a Halo game since it is always going to be compared to Halo 3 which was most likely an anomaly and not a norm.

#8 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@aquamarin: guess they didnt move on from cod though, according to major nelson, black ops 2 and MW3 were the top 2 of last year

#9 Edited by mrfluke (5130 posts) -
#10 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Well pretty much every change they made to the multiplayer totally fucking sucked, so no wonder. I'm not even that picky about this type of thing, but their whole line of thinking was just retarded. "Let's just change everything we can for no good reason!".

#11 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

I'm still playing and there are plenty of other people to be matched with.

I think people are just not as into actual hard shooters these days, one shoot one kill, quick and easy is what people want. Personally the popularity of Call of Duty still baffles me, I think those games play like hourse shit, but hey to each thier own.

#12 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

Well, gosh, that's just not true at all.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

I think 343 dropped the ball on Spartan-Ops which helped people forget the game and move on.

#14 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

I think 343 dropped the ball on Spartan-Ops which helped people forget the game and move on.

Personally, I probably would've stuck around if it had Firefight in it.

#15 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Spartan Ops is getting much better for the record but yet, the first 5 episodes were dull.

#16 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@EXTomar said:

Personally, I probably would've sticked around if it had Firefight in it.

That too. I guess what I mean is that although you can have some fun with just running around in random matches, they were not that compelling compared to that other game that is such a juggernaut that does. Without that content, gamers have moved on.

#17 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that the popularity of Halo has been in pretty steady decline ever since CoD 4 came out. This isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

#18 Posted by Andorski (5270 posts) -

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of the multiplayer. The highest played games on XBL don't hit those numbers with a tremendous amount of hardcore gamers (i.e. the people who would be pissed about Halo 4's lack of competitive multiplayer scene). If the near 75% drop off in active users were Halo fans angry about Halo 4's gameplay, I would think that there would be a spike in players for either Halo 3 or Reach. Both games don't seem to have had a significant change in playtime according to Major Nelson's XBLA charts.

So what's changed? The 360 has had a significant drop in year-over-year sales. Also, I'm willing to bet that overall playtime on the platform in general has dropped off due to how far this console generation has gone. Then there is Call of Duty. During the original Xbox, Halo was the game that most people roped their friends into playing. Call of Duty changed that mentality as this console cycle progressed. Halo nowadays looks like the tactical, skill based shooter when compared to CoD.

#19 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

People also seem to forget how diluted Xbox live is now, look t all the games Halo 4 is contending with, not only the lasted Call of Duty and all the ones before it but Battlefield, the past Halo's, and all the other resent release's to. Halo 3 had nothing else to contend with outside of COD 4 and Halo 2. There were literally no other popular shooters on the Xbox at that time.

#20 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@mrfluke said:

with the exception of odst (music was great though), i loved the original trilogy including reach,

this one i found it to be a complete disappointment.

#21 Posted by Gaff (1711 posts) -

Oh, GAF...

#22 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@big_jon said:

Spartan Ops is getting much better for the record but yet, the first 5 episodes were dull.

i noticed, seems they are finally going more full into the covenants motivations now and creating memorable missions., i still worry it might be too little to late.

see i agree with you that xbox live is diluted and all that, but 343 was running their mouths saying how they were aiming to take down call of duty though, (not every dev says that, and the way this game was made, i can see that they were trying to compete with cod)

i just find the rapid drop in players depressing, especially for this being a master chief halo game, but ive also havent touched that game in months, so im part of the problem too :P

#23 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This doesn't really surprise me, Halo is way past its expiration date. So is Call of Duty.

Halo didn't get any better after 2, which is still the best multiplayer and maps.

#24 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

Cant say im surprised. Having people spawn with long ranged weapons and the ordanance drops killed what made halo so balanced and skill based. I had fun for the first month but the lack of what made the previous games great has kept halo 4 from touching my disc tray. The fact that I could go 30-0 on ragnarok camping the pelican with a DMR and lucky sniper killstreak drops is fucked.

#25 Edited by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@big_jon said:

i noticed, seems they are finally going more full into the covenants motivations now and creating memorable missions., i still worry it might be too little to late.

see i agree with you that xbox live is diluted and all that, but 343 was running their mouths saying how they were aiming to take down call of duty though, (not every dev says that, and the way this game was made, i can see that they were trying to compete with cod)

i just find the rapid drop in players depressing, especially for this being a master chief halo game, but ive also havent touched that game in months, so im part of the problem too :P

I think that was an article writers spin, I remember reading that, I this 343 is way more modest than that, Frank O' Connor wrote a statement about the game a few weeks ago, it was very on the level, and respectable.

I have been liking the game more as of late, and the community forge playlist is a great reason to get back in.

I am rank 122 right now, when I reach 130 I will be doing I write up on my thoughts about everything Halo 4.

#26 Edited by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@mrfluke said:

with the exception of odst (music was great though), i loved the original trilogy including reach,

this one i found it to be a complete disappointment.

It did not play enough to Halo's strengths, to much corridor fighting Prometheans.

The Campaign had some highs, but more lows than any of the past games in my eyes, Reach left a much better taste in my mouth.

@laserbolts: I find myself using the sandbox more now, the AR is actually a usable weapon now, and the ordinance drops are only broken when the two teams turtles up with them, which happen on Valhalla because it is a poorly designed map. Mind you it is not a perfect system by any means, it can be improved.

After a weapon balance pass I think the weapons will be great, the DMR is too dominant, and so is the bolt shot, aside from that every weapon serves a purpose, Unlike Halo 2, 3, or Reach.

#27 Posted by mellotronrules (1188 posts) -

not too surprising. halo's day in the sun has long since passed- it's been call of duty's ball to fumble for awhile now. it won't last forever, but unless they make some real dynamic and dramatic changes to halo's formula, they're just making games for a diminishing player base.

#28 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2434 posts) -

Alot has changed in 5 years because of Call of Duty 4.

#29 Posted by Scotto (1178 posts) -

I enjoyed my time with the game, and even managed to get to rank 70-something in multiplayer. I stopped logging on when they took the break with Spartan Ops, and haven't really bothered turning it back on since.

Halo isn't the big dog anymore when it comes to multiplayer, and this has been true for a while. The franchise still sells millions of copies though, which is ultimately what matters.

If you're into fanboy wars, then graphs like these matter. If you just want to log on and be able to find a game, then they don't matter.

#30 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2363 posts) -

I still play a few games every day. The file browser is apparently finally going to be fixed next week, so maybe some of the crowd could come back to try some customs.

I think a lot of it simply boils down to Halo just isn't the only thing on Xbox anymore. Not to mention 343 did a lot of things people didn't like (Rotational playlists, faster paced, ditched Firefight etc.) so people just switched to something else.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate that Reach chart is. I played Reach back in 2011 and I don't ever remember there being that many players.

#31 Posted by Stonyman65 (2675 posts) -

@aquamarin said:

People have moved on I think, cross-reference COD's playerbase.

Exactly. COD cleaned them out.

The real question here is will the next Halo game even matter? From everything I've seen and heard, people are starting to get on the "fuck this" train pretty fast in regards to the Halo franchise.

#32 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@mrfluke said:

This.

And people move onto different games, I think this is the thing with all games.

#33 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Never really got into the Halo franchise, but It's sad to see the popularity die down like this in favour of Generic Of Duty X.

Hopefully Activision will kill off CoD like they've done with every other single franchises since Guitar Hero and games like Halo will yet again be on the top of the foodchain.

#34 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

The "sea change" to CoD style multiplayer happened years and years ago (was Halo 3 effected or influenced?). Why are people surprised another outlier can't compete against Battlefield or CoD since Halo hasn't been competing for years?

But that is irrelevant because it is a questionable premise. If someone liked Halo 4 and enjoyed playing multiplayer but has moved on, is that really a problem?

#35 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Maybe 343 should have made a Halo game rather than making Call of Duty: 2557. I'd still be playing it otherwise.

#36 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

As a devoted Halo player I just didn't ever dig Halo 4's multiplayer. I felt that you died too quickly for it to even be considered Halo multiplayer. Halo 4 went for COD's twitch gameplay far more than I wanted and that what made me fall out with Halo 4. It's still a good game, but I didn't like the multiplayer that much. The maps are way better than Reach's though.

#37 Posted by mlarrabee (2925 posts) -

This new trilogy won't have to worry. Halo 5 will be out on the new platform even if it's not one of the launch titles, and 6 will finish off the Reclaimer trio, so both of those are guaranteed successes.

#38 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

@Sooty said:

This doesn't really surprise me, Halo is way past its expiration date. So is Call of Duty.

Halo didn't get any better after 2, which is still the best multiplayer and maps.

This is more or less the truth of things.

#39 Posted by KaneRobot (1541 posts) -

Shrug. I still love playing it online. Even if it's a significant drop there are still a ton of people playing.

Spartan Ops has been freshened up a lot this week, for whatever that's worth (possibly not much).

#40 Posted by Slag (4250 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Maybe 343 should have made a Halo game rather than making Call of Duty: 2557. I'd still be playing it otherwise.

yeah Halo 4 is a good game, Halo however historically however has been a series of great games. It's hard to go back to good, when you are used to great.

You have to wonder what it would have been like if Bungie made it.

#41 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Halo 4 isn't as bad as people make it out to be but it lacks a certain simplicity that Halo 3 had.

Man, Halo 3 was fantastic.

But still, the era of Halo has passed. It will always have its dedicated fanbase (That will rage on everything but whatever). Now, its Call of Duty's era to shine but just like COD4 appeared out of no whee, we'll get something new soon enough.

#42 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@Slag said:

@jakob187 said:

yeah Halo 4 is a good game, Halo however historically however has been a series of great games. It's hard to go back to good, when you are used to great.

You have to wonder what it would have been like if Bungie made it.

When it comes down to brass taxes, it's not a Halo game. It's a Call of Duty game set in the future with the visual skin of a Halo game. At first, I was okay with it...but the more I played, the more it pissed me off. It felt like so much of the combat strategy was taken out of the game in favor of customizable loadouts and faster-paced combat. There was a methodical level of depth to the multiplayer in that game which has now been lost.

With Reach, the loadout stuff was fine with me. They were offering something similar to setups like Call of Duty, but they were MAKING IT A HALO THING. With Halo 4, 343 just made Call of Duty a Halo thing, and that rubs me the wrong way altogether.

I'm hoping they can pull back some on Halo 5 with that shit and really bring it back to what makes Halo its own entity within the shooter genre. By that time, however, I'm sure Destiny will be out and I'll have lost my soul to it forever.

#43 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Game sold A SHIT TON, player base don't matter as LONG AS THE CHECK HAS BEEN CASHED

Here is the 2012 Top 10:

• #1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii U)** Activision Blizzard
  • #2. Madden NFL 13 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, Wii U) Electronic Arts
  • #3. Halo 4 (Xbox 360)** Microsoft (only on xbox)
  • #4. Assassin’s Creed III (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, PC)** Ubisoft
  • #5. Just Dance 4 (Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3) Ubisoft
  • #6. NBA 2K13 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC)** Take-Two Interactive
  • #7. Borderlands 2 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)** Take-Two Interactive
  • #8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
  • #9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS, DS, PC) Warner Bros. Interactive
  • #10. FIFA Soccer 13 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS, Wii U, PSP) Electronic Arts

It was one of the top selling games of 2012 and it came out in NOV.

#45 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@jakob187 said:

brass taxes

Brass tacks.

You're welcome!

Thanks.

#46 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

@jakob187: I like brass taxes better anyway.

#47 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@xMEGADETHxSLY: Halo isn't 1 game though, it's a franchise. If people have a bad time with your last game, they are less likely to buy your new game. BUT the next Halo will be on new hardware and that will probably give it a huge bump anyway.

Also, those numbers look a little unfair because those old numbers are from Sept. before the CoD that year came out. New numbers are in direct competition. Never mind, I scrolled down. A yearly chart, too.

#48 Posted by Synaptic (308 posts) -

Weird. I played it at a friends house, I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer.

#49 Posted by isomeri (1254 posts) -

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

Game sold A SHIT TON, player base don't matter as LONG AS THE CHECK HAS BEEN CASHED

Here is the 2012 Top 10:

• #1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii U)** Activision Blizzard
  • #2. Madden NFL 13 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS Vita, Wii U) Electronic Arts
  • #3. Halo 4 (Xbox 360)** Microsoft (only on xbox)
  • #8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard

It was one of the top selling games of 2012 and it came out in NOV.

I think that the evidence to why the Halo 4 player base has dropped is right here. Even the Call of Duty game from 2011 made it's way to this list. The "competitive" scene or whatever you'd like to call it has moved away from Halo a long time ago. That is why I still like playing Halo.

#50 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

@isomeri: Yeah, I thought about bringing that up too. Sign of the market, for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.