um, guys?, i think this game is in trouble.

• 70 results
#51 Posted by HatKing (5567 posts) -

Looks like they were right about the multiplayer being changed. It is just a little less identifiable, and less reason to stick with it.

Go figure, Bungie knew what they were talking about.

#52 Posted by munnyman5 (184 posts) -

I don't have a lot of time to play games nowadays (posting this from a biochem class, but I read ahead for it so it's cool guys don't worry my GPA is doing well), but whenever I do dip back into Halo 4, I have a great deal of fun with it.

And that's true of SWAT, too. The instant-gratification, more twitch-based killin' is just as much fun as the large-scale, jetpack-wearing, tank-hijacking, fool-sniping, shotgunning mayhem of the bigger game types, which in turn is just as much fun as the regular-ass 4-on-4 deathmatches. Can you tell I'm a Halo fan yet? I also like Spartan Ops, but ~95% of that is just because I like hearing Jennifer Hale talk. The other 5% is because I'm a sucker for the Halo universe, for no good reason besides the fact that it was the first shooter I got into, probably.

One thing I do miss from my younger days was coordinating with friends to play online. We could do fuckin' WORK when we had a 4-person team all communicating with each other during matches.

#53 Posted by spaghettitime (32 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@TooWalrus: true, but imagine morale in 343 is a bit low to see this sharp of a drop though.

It's got to hurt if you spent serious time and effort working on this game's multiplayer component with serious love as I bet a lot of the people at 343 did, sure, but in the end when they push X number of units out of the door at the end of a console's lifespan, that's all that's going to matter to the people spending the dough on getting these things made. It's not like there's any doubt at all that they're going to deliver Halo 5. And to be honest I don't find it that sad that the multiplayer numbers are so low, it might encourage 343 to work on the flaws of their vision of Halo and make the next one every bit of a smash that Halo 3 was.

I mean I have my doubts they'll accomplish that, but I'm still interested to see what their long term game-plan is to use Halo 4 as their stepping stone.

#54 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Never really got into the Halo franchise, but It's sad to see the popularity die down like this in favour of Generic Of Duty X.

Hopefully Activision will kill off CoD like they've done with every other single franchises since Guitar Hero and games like Halo will yet again be on the top of the foodchain.

Because space marines shooting aliens in a linear FPS is so unique and original. Halo ODST, Halo Reach, Halo 1 reboot, Halo 4, there has been no shortage of Halo games over the last few years. They might've had different characters fighting different enemies in different settings but that's about the same as any Call of Duty game.

At least Activision knows when to kill off a franchise. EA, however, is absolutely fucking clueless. They still shit out the same tired old franchises year after year, MoH, Sims, C&C, Need for Speed, etc.

#55 Posted by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

@spaghettitime said:

@mrfluke said:

@TooWalrus: true, but imagine morale in 343 is a bit low to see this sharp of a drop though.

It's got to hurt if you spent serious time and effort working on this game's multiplayer component with serious love as I bet a lot of the people at 343 did, sure, but in the end when they push X number of units out of the door at the end of a console's lifespan, that's all that's going to matter to the people spending the dough on getting these things made. It's not like there's any doubt at all that they're going to deliver Halo 5. And to be honest I don't find it that sad that the multiplayer numbers are so low, it might encourage 343 to work on the flaws of their vision of Halo and make the next one every bit of a smash that Halo 3 was.

I mean I have my doubts they'll accomplish that, but I'm still interested to see what their long term game-plan is to use Halo 4 as their stepping stone.

true, at the end of the day the game was a success.

the flaws with this game just have me to question their ability to deliever, so i hope the low numbers make them step their game up, especially since its another 2 years before halo 5 as next year is the halo 2 anniversary

#56 Posted by big_jon (5661 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@spaghettitime said:

@mrfluke said:

the flaws with this game just have me to question their ability to deliever, so i hope the low numbers make them step their game up, especially since its another 2 years before halo 5 as next year is the halo 2 anniversary

Halo 5 will not be made on a 2 year cycle.

#57 Posted by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@mrfluke said:

@spaghettitime said:

@mrfluke said:

Halo 5 will not be made on a 2 year cycle.

you' re right, i digress then. as i forgot that talks were going around that halo 5 started preproduction before halo 4 shipped, so it will be more than 2 years in the making

#58 Posted by CatsAkimbo (583 posts) -

Probably cus it performs like garbage when under the least bit of stress. I get like a half second controller delay in big team battles and spartan ops, which just makes it feel floaty and awful. Dont have the same lag in earlier games or the calls of duty.

#59 Posted by sate2801 (343 posts) -

I was in Halo 4 for the story(no, really.) and spartan ops sounded like something to keep me playing, at least a few hours every week.

but that pause between ep5 and ep6 really turned me down, an I've moved onto something else since :/

#60 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4482 posts) -

Yeah franchise is in the deteriorating phase; though I guess Halo is going to have the opposite argument of "I only play it for the story brah; CoD's for multiplayer!"

#61 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

The only halo game I haven't bought.

#62 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Yes. If only they made another Halo game... instead of implementing ideas that are currently popular and generally regarded as "successful".

As someone on the outside who could barely stand to finish Halo 3 on easy, I'd say it has nothing to do with the quality of the game, it's glaringly obvious that Call of Duty has overtaken Halo as the casual-shooting-friends-online experience.

The minority chiming "lol not surprised it wuz teh wurst halo evar!!11!" probably said similar things about every most-recent Halo game.

#63 Posted by Village_Guy (2409 posts) -

I hope they keep their faith in the story they are telling and continue that, on the multiplayer side though...

I would like Halo 5 to be like the first three Halo games more, no load-outs(!) please, keep the SPARTAN customization, keep sprinting, armor abilities would then be placed around the map like equipment was in Halo 3. Want the jetpack? Well either pick it up fast enough, or kill one of the guys that have it and take it from them.

#64 Posted by spaghettitime (32 posts) -

@KittyVonDoom said:

The minority chiming "lol not surprised it wuz teh wurst halo evar!!11!" probably said similar things about every most-recent Halo game.

To be fair, if you weren't too wooed by its admittedly great graphical displays during preview footage, all of the things people are complaining about with the multiplayer and sub-par story were transparently knowable pretty much up front. I bought it because it had shiny graphics and I like playing weird custom slayer games with bizarre rules. It delivered on that front just fine.

There were plenty of people being extremely vocal about their concern over the game from the outset when 343 Studios was announced to be the team developing it, and I think a majority of said vocal Halo fans are mostly just people who wanted a new company taking at a stab at the series to survive it's metaphorical Freshman year, which they did. I doubt anybody really thought it was going to be the Halo to bring back Halo games. 343 played things way too safe with the formula, which is immediately apparent to anybody who picks it up and plays it. It's not really surprising that they did, all things considered. I think what matters more than their inaugural release into the franchise is the direction they decide to edge it towards with the following games. If Halo 5 teasers start coming and all they can promise us is more light rifles and another round of mountain dew sponsorship, then yes I think it's fair to say people will collectively stop giving a shit about Halo.

#65 Edited by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

checking back in on that data........

.............wow

#66 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

@mrfluke: Wowee-wow. I still wanna check out Halo 5, but.. Fuck. The only thing that will kill Halo is if Destiny out-builds it's own Forge mode. ~ Not even CoD has a Forge-thing, so.. Damn!. : /

#67 Edited by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: i think halo 5 will still go on to be successful, but i dont think this game has anywhere the same pull it had under bungie. this game seems to have truly pissed off some fans. i dont buy the argument that its cause of the console generation, cause cod still has strong numbers,

and hollly crap if they actually manage to fit/pull of a forge like mode into destiny, if they add like a simulation arena creation type of area in which you can bring your buddies to go at it.

#68 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

@mrfluke: Actually.. That's kinda fucking guaranteed, now that I think of it. Leaked documents said that They're supposed to release a Destiny thing every single year, like expansion packs. If, more like: Destiny, Comet, Destiny, etc.

So, if not the first time around, they'll bolt it on a Comet release. ~ Hmm.

#69 Posted by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: yea thats true, id say its at least guaranteed that there would be a sequel to fully utilitze the next consoles and then expansions afterwards.

all they need is to show us a game now that capitalizes on their ambitions..........

#70 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4029 posts) -

@mrfluke: Well shit. Now I thought, both companies are gonna have to pull a Firefight mode out of their ass. At this point, both have to think how much will it hurt them this time around if they don't put Firefight in.

Spartan Ops isn't really a very good replacement, as much as I love how much David Ellis is pretty cool.. Doing good stuff..

#71 Posted by mrfluke (4844 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: i dont think destiny would necessarily need that, as they i think are going for something different, and id much rather have them flesh out the world some more so that i can get a awesome dynamic moment where "im getting cornered by those big enemies from destiny then all of a sudden an anonymous internet user flanks them from behind and we both team up and kick ass"

i think its more needed for halo, as spartan ops for me only became decent after the 2nd half, and told only a ok story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.