Which Halo to get

#1 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

#2 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

I've just finished playing Halo 4 and was looking to go back and play some more Halo, so which one would you guys suggest? I am primarily interested in the single player as 4 will be doing all my multiplayer needs for now.

#3 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

What's with this sudden claim that ODST is the best Halo? DIdn't everyone basically pan it at the time?

I'm of the mind that Reach is one of the best, but 3 would tie in nicely to 4 somewhat.

Really tempted to play the trilogy again...

#4 Posted by beeftothetaco (425 posts) -

Three. Reach is ok too.

#5 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Reach has the best campaign, none of the others are worth playing anymore, certainly not a second time.

#6 Posted by HistoryInRust (6316 posts) -

Have you played any of the others? Maybe start from the beginning and work your way up?

#7 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@beeftothetaco said:

Three. Reach is ok too.

#8 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

I haven't played 4. And I really doubt I ever will.

But 3 and Reach were pretty good games. If you haven't played Halo 3, start that one up now. It will probably feel a little dated, but 3 had a really good sandbox campaign. More than half of the missions was just a bunch of vehicles, a ton of enemies, and a huge map.

Then I would play Reach, Reach's campaign was pretty cool. Then again maybe I liked running around with my own white and purple spartan. The space bits are worth it just for those alone, then again it just made me wish Bungie made the campaign revolve around space missions.

#9 Posted by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -

Reach's campaign is either slightly behind or on par with Halo 4's, ODST is also a really cool game.

#10 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Halo 1 is the best Halo, and always will be. Go play that.

#11 Posted by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

the first one is the last one with a good campaign. so id say anniversary definitely.

#12 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

Halo 1 has not aged too well I feel. I think Reach is the best overall game.

#13 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

ODST had my favorite campaign so I'd go with that.

#14 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

CE, still my favorite in the series

#15 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I actually like ODST a lot. You weren't a badass Spartan and the night stuff was awesome. Wish I had Tron-like vision.

#16 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Halo 1 is the best Halo, and always will be. Go play that.

You have not played it recently.

That game raised me, but it does not hold up well.

#17 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@project343: Yes I have, and yes it does.

#18 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -

Reach is still the one I'd recommend. Id pass on ODST, that stupid low health constant beeping made me hate this game more (although to be fair the story / pace change was interesting).

#19 Posted by huntad (1940 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

What's with this sudden claim that ODST is the best Halo? DIdn't everyone basically pan it at the time?

I'm of the mind that Reach is one of the best, but 3 would tie in nicely to 4 somewhat.

Really tempted to play the trilogy again...

I have no idea. ODST is fine, but I don't see how it's so good. If anything, it was a little weaker, because it was so short. I remember it being way shorter than a normal Halo game.

Anyways, go with Reach if you've played Halo 1, or Anniversary if you haven't.

#20 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Wouldn't say that ODST is the best Halo but with all of them out there, it was the best at presenting the story, was a bit different but not much & gave more atmosphere to the world making it more alive than some of the other Halo games.

#21 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Then I think you are fucking crazy. There is a whole stretch of levels in that game that are complete bullshit and reek of artificially padding out the experience (Library, Two Betrayals, Keyes). I love Combat Evolved as much as the next guy, but them rose-tinted glasses are hella foggy, son.

#22 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@project343: I'm sorry I still like a game that you don't?

But of course, on these forums. You are right and I am wrong, because.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

@Canteu said:

I agree. It has some rough spots, admittedly, but Halo 1/CE/Anniversary/whatever the hell you want to call it still holds up remarkably well.

#24 Edited by Bane122 (789 posts) -

Really they are all worth playing, aside from 2. I'd skip that one. Given how cheap they are, why not start at 1 and just go through the series?

And having just played through 1 again a couple of weeks ago, yeah, it holds up just fine.

#25 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Reach is the best game in this poll. Go with that.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

I haven't quite finished Halo 4 yet, but I stand by my statement that ODST is the best Halo.

#27 Posted by Scroll (598 posts) -

Go through all of them in order if you have the patience. So go with Reach first I guess.

Also after playing all of them recently in one go I found that reach had the weakest campaign besides 2.

#28 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

My favourite from all the games has still been the first Halo, because of how the game let you explore this strange new land at your own pace. Just you, your assault rifle, magnum, and a warthog. The different ways you could approach a combat situation, the reactions from the covenant, and the pace of it all was just fun. Halo 4 feels more like oldschool Halo in my opinion. It's making me feel the way I felt playing Halo 1, like 343 Industries wanted to bring back what made Halo 1 so different. I'm just about to finish it on Legendary. Pretty sweet.

#29 Edited by troll93 (388 posts) -

Well, the price is not so much of an issue as compared to the time commitment, so I think that I might grab reach and then try and work my way up through the series.

Also, because I am lazy, when should ODST happen, between 2-3 or after 3?

#30 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

From a gameplay point of view, go with Reach. It's a really good campaign and plays very similarly to 4. Then I'd recommend playing some ODST. It's such a very different game and it's a nice refreshing "break" from traditional Halo.

#31 Edited by bybeach (4831 posts) -

I personally liked Reach over halo 3. I have the Anniversary one still to get through... Listening to the Librarian cutsceme about killed it .....

But that doesn't matter anymore. Giantbomb, and Drew in particular, have broken my spirit. I was not going to get Halo 4., at least right away..But after so much exposure and Drew doing the TNT and all, I slunk down to Fry's today and got a copy. (BTW, F***ing Amazon thursday was wanting an extra 9.00 dollars for Sat delivery..why??????)

But I liked Reach because it played well for me, and I liked the story(grim/sometimes sad)

The Master Cheif thing gets a little annoying to me, though I have to say the beginning cutscene to Halo 4 was kind of suprising/interesting....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.