Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Why not check out this Halo 4 Gameplay Launch Trailer?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

Master Chief returns to battle an ancient evil bent on vengeance and annihilation. Shipwrecked on a mysterious world, Master Chief is faced with new enemies and a powerful new Forerunner menace.

Halo 4 releasing November 6, 2012.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Phatmac

Surprised by the lack of comments considering that this is Halo 4.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DharmaBum

Not much to comment on I suppose. The game looks good and I can see why it requires an 8 gig install.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By august

Pretty cool.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

This is more of my kind of trailer despite it telling me more than I would want to know but I already guessed that stuff before finding it out. I'm already sold on the game, now there's just the waiting game.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kindgineer

I haven't been "excited" for another Halo release since 2, so I'll gobble up anything to help satiate me until the 6th.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quarters

That is literally the first full on cinematic trailer using game footage that I've seen for this game. Looks okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

looks awesome

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

Didact looks sweet.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

"Who needs leaks when our marketing department can just spoil the whole plot in the trailers?"

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By big_jon

@HistoryInRust: All the stuff shown is before the first half of the game I am pretty sure, though I get what you mean.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YOU_DIED

As a massive fan of Halo: CE who thinks it's the best in the series by far, not really interested, but thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

@HistoryInRust: All the stuff shown is before the first half of the game I am pretty sure, though I get what you mean.

As someone who's watched a stream of the back end of the game, I can confirm this statement to be false.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phatmac

Have they stated before that the forerunners would be coming back?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Cloudenvy

Even though I'm not a huge Halo fan, it looks pretty neat! Now if they'd just get rid of those terrible looking mechs. : (

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zombie2011

AGHH, i'm seriously about to explode from excitement. I watched the entire 24 hour stream, played ODST played Reach, and i'm so ready right now!!

After the 24 hour stream i was soooooo close to searching for a Halo 4 play through to watch. It's crazy seeing i've only bought 2 games this year and i thought that i was kind of done with video games, but Halo 4 has me excited again.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaneDev

I don't really think any of the trailers they released have been very good. I mean their alright but the David Fincher produced trailer was dull and this one is kinda meh, to me at least. The game itself looks great though. At least we know Keith Szarabajka voices the bad guy.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zombie2011

@HistoryInRust said:

@big_jon said:

As someone who's watched a stream of the back end of the game, I can confirm this statement to be false.

So why are you complaining if you've already watched the game being played?

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By murisan

@zombie2011: He's not complaining, he's saying that most of the trailers are only showing stuff before the second half of the game. Oh, wait, that dude.. yeah, fuck him.

I love all of the people hemming and hawing about little parts of this game like they wrote the fiction. "OMG WHAT, MECHS ARE IN THE GAME???!?!!!?!!" Sure, why not? Why wouldn't the UNSC make mechs?

Oh well, more enjoyment for me.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By big_jon

@zombie2011: Temper your expectations.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By veektarius

@YOU_DIED said:

As a massive fan of Halo: CE who thinks it's the best in the series by far, not really interested, but thanks.

Not to derail the thread, but why is that? My understanding was that the most common knock against Halo is it hasn't changed much since the first game except for better level design, what did the others add/remove that you disliked?

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DharmaBum

@Veektarius: CE just had a perfect sense of simplicity. Still remains the most competitive game in the series strangely enough.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By murisan

@DharmaBum said:

@Veektarius: CE just had a perfect sense of simplicity. Still remains the most competitive game in the series strangely enough.

According to you. According to the popular opinion, Halo 2's competitive scene was the best of the series.

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

Not to derail the thread, but why is that? My understanding was that the most common knock against Halo is it hasn't changed much since the first game except for better level design, what did the others add/remove that you disliked?

I disagree with that sentiment. I think Drew and Alexis said it best during the stream, that each Halo game feels significantly different than the previous one. Halo 1 -> 2 changed the shield/health system and added dual wielding. Halo 2->3 added grenade types, weapons, and of course the generational graphical upgrade. ODST went back to the Halo 1 healthpack system and had you playing (obviously) ODST, who are not quite as advanced as Spartans, so the gameplay was inherently different. Reach added armor abilities, which provided for much better movement (cloaked, burst movement, and verticality) along with another graphical update. Halo 4 looks poised to add the most to the series since Reach, and that's exciting.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

On the contrary, the level design has gone downhill. I'd exclude ODST from that statement. Many of the weapons were rebalanced to the point where they were useless, like the plasma rifle for example. The hitboxes and aim assist were expanded enormously from 2 onward:

I can go on if you want. In general, the games became way more bland and less fun to play. A lot of small changes have culminated in them becoming more 'modern' shooters, and by that I mean homogenized and boring. In one of their vidocs Bungie went as far as to say that Halo 2 was their 'sophomore slump'.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DharmaBum

@murisan: that's a common assumption because Halo 2 practically invented Xbox Live and had some of the best designed maps, but the mechanics of the first game still provide the most competitive skill gap, according to people that have mastered all the games.

Edit: Actually, people still haven't mastered Halo: CE, what with grenade tricks and other tactics that constantly evolve. The CE pistol remains the definitive utility weapon that requires the most skill, whereas the Halo 2 BR and sniper had way too much auto-aim assist.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By veektarius

@YOU_DIED: @DharmaBum: If this is all multiplayer focused, you're talking a different language than me, so I can't really rebut your reasons. I've always thought Halo was a worse competitive experience than Battlefield, which is my MPFPS of choice, but Halo is my goto for SP campaigns.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DharmaBum

@Veektarius: yeah, I tend to rope in multiplayer when I think about the games as a whole. But I know a lot of people just play it for the campaign. Even then they might argue that the first game had the most simple, elegant story, before the Gravemind and other rings were introduced (I think Joe Staten was responsible for much of the "extended fiction" passed CE). They're both team-based shooters with vehicles but it's hard for me to compare it to Battlefield when one's class-based and the other is an arena shooter from the Quake/UT heritage. I get why you would have your own go-to multiplayer that you prefer though.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By MistaSparkle

I'm fucking pumped. I keep thinking I'm done with Halo, but damnit I'm getting this day one! I only wish it were on PC...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Bloody hyped, fuck everyone's opinion I'm ready for some Halo!

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED: @DharmaBum: If this is all multiplayer focused, you're talking a different language than me, so I can't really rebut your reasons. I've always thought Halo was a worse competitive experience than Battlefield, which is my MPFPS of choice, but Halo is my goto for SP campaigns.

I'm talking in terms of both SP and MP. ODST is the only one that comes close to CE in SP because of the interesting environment/story (including the audio log side story). If they had added an adversarial multiplayer mode to ODST I would probably still be playing that.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By csl316

I want.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By big_jon

@DharmaBum said:

@Veektarius: yeah, I tend to rope in multiplayer when I think about the games as a whole. But I know a lot of people just play it for the campaign. Even then they might argue that the first game had the most simple, elegant story, before the Gravemind and other rings were introduced (I think Joe Staten was responsible for much of the "extended fiction" passed CE). They're both team-based shooters with vehicles but it's hard for me to compare it to Battlefield when one's class-based and the other is an arena shooter from the Quake/UT heritage. I get why you would have your own go-to multiplayer that you prefer though.

I still say Halo 3 has the highest skill gap. ;)

But in reality, Halo 2 was the easiest of all the games, I was one of the most competitive, but the hitscan, magnetism, and huge hit boxes made it the easiest. I played it on PC I few month back, I was swipe sniping people so much that I got kicked for "Hacking" with a 360 controller. lol

From what I can tell Halo 4's movement and shooting mechanics should put skill back on top for sure.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DharmaBum

@big_jon: in some ways 3 has the most difficult shooting (non-hitscan, having to lead your shots, plus the spread). I just popped it in tonight and the aim acceleration is really awkward to get used to again. I'm sure Halo 4 will have smooth aiming on the axis though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011 said:

@HistoryInRust said:

@big_jon said:

So why are you complaining if you've already watched the game being played?

Do you even know what a complaint is?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

I would argue the idea the sequels have better level design is laughable.

EDIT: Eh. I had a brainfart. Halo 2 does have the best of the Halo multiplayer maps. For some reason only thought about the campaign when responding.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By veektarius

@HistoryInRust said:

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

EDIT: Eh. I had a brainfart. Halo 2 does have the best of the Halo multiplayer maps. For some reason only thought about the campaign when responding.

Well, I'm talking about the campaign. How can you claim the first game has the best level design? They're like, copy and paste design, reused templates, low detail environments...

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By project343

@YOU_DIED: I hate Halo 2 So. Fucking. Much. The entirety of the Halo 2 experience, coupled with CE's library, are the only two notable blemishes in the entire series. The inclusion of the utterly convoluted and unnecessary dual wielding system, the wretched disjointed story, the e-peen-heavy multiplayer experience... ugh.

Since Halo 2, the series has really embraced some special features that encapsulate the silly shenanigans of the Halo experience (Forge, screenshots, video recording), it has really expanded the sandboxey toolset with some meaningful additions, and it has layered some really enthralling motivators for investing yourself in the game and community (with a heavy spotlighting on community-created content, daily/weekly challenges, cosmetic upgrades). Is it that same impenetrable, hardcore Halo 2 multiplayer experience? Fuck no, but for me personally, that's a huge step forward for the series. Halo was never about taking itself seriously; sure, it has some competitive legs, but I think the widespread appeal is that it's an inherently giving and silly romp.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veektarius said:

@HistoryInRust said:

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

Well, I'm talking about the campaign. How can you claim the first game has the best level design? They're like, copy and paste design, reused templates, low detail environments...

I see what you are getting at, but I think you're mislabeling some things and short-changing others.

The issue with Combat Evolved's campaign is the fact that levels 8, 9, and 10 are the same locations as levels 5, 3, and 1, respectively. And, yes, that's a problem. But as for the design of the levels themselves, I'd argue the levels are engineered in a way that best takes advantage of the style of combat Halo made as its watermark. They encourage motion and fluidity, they transition mostly seamlessly between their indoor corridors and outdoor expanses, and in a lot of cases it hides the linearity of the critical path much better than any of the subsequent games in the series. I've always felt that, apart from the Library (for sake of monotony), Combat Evolved, of all the Halo titles, best gives you an illusion of freedom with your tactics.

Mushy46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mushy46

Back to the trailer, that as pretty sweet. November can't come fast enough.

bloodfarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bloodfarts

I hope the Multi grabs me harder than Reach. Graphics look great, though.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Veektarius said:

@HistoryInRust said:

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

Can you provide specific examples? Some of the best games ever make use of assets many times over, and the knocks you just described don't necessarily equate to a level being less fun to play.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By veektarius

@YOU_DIED said:

@Veektarius said:

@HistoryInRust said:

@Veektarius said:

@YOU_DIED said:

Can you provide specific examples? Some of the best games ever make use of assets many times over, and the knocks you just described don't necessarily equate to a level being less fun to play.

I don't really see what the point is in going into it at length. I can't really fathom where you guys are coming from. Halo 1 was a revelation for me, as a guy who didn't like FPSes aside from 1942 before that game. But even when I was at my prime in Halo 1 terms, I would get lost in levels 2 and 4, and playthroughs often ended at the library because of what a slog it was. I never had any problems like that with levels in the other games.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By impartialgecko

Videogames!

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DharmaBum

@Veektarius: all the campaigns are guilty of homogenous corridors or ledges that try to disguise what's really a corridor, and having to backtrack through previous areas. The missions you mentioned in CE like the 2nd level and the infamous Silent Cartographer gave you a massive map with different points of interest and you were forced to explore. Those were a welcome change of pace to the typical linear shooter, even if getting lost was a possibility.

@adam1808 said:

Videogames!

Indeed.

LordAltmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LordAltmer

Wasn't mad on Reach but I am really looking forward to this

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Is it me or is somebody else voicing master chief?

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheFreeMan

Hey, it's the Crowfather!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.