Worst Kill Cams Ever?

#1 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

So after playing about 50-60 matches I think I can confidently say this game has either some of the worst kill cams I've ever seen or its possibly completely broken...I haven't decided. I've played every Halo and its multiplayer pretty religiously since the first one...I like them all and have appreciated all of their little tweaks and additions. Halo 3 and Halo: Reach were hands down my favorite, but at that point the formula was pretty solid. I never once said, "You know what Halo needs? Kill cams!" Well they are here, but who cares? That is until almost every kill cam I see basically boils down to a guy killing me while his reticle is 2"-3" away from my body. That or I'm starting to see more and more people succeeding with 2 hit DMR and BR kills with no one assisting them.

Is anyone else getting this? If I wasn't on a 50 Mbps dedicated connection I would say I'm lagging, but I don't know. I want to love this game, but all the issues I'm coming across in the multiplayer is almost making me think of picking Reach back up.

#2 Posted by Scroll (598 posts) -

Have kill cams ever been accurate?

#3 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

I never seemed to have problems with them, at least with the last 3 Call of Duty games. Especially this wildly inaccurate. Literally, 2-3" away from my character's body.

#4 Posted by Redsox44 (482 posts) -

I just always mash X after dying and never watch any of them

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

Do you have to enable killcams or something? I have played quite a bit of multiplayer and I have never seen a killcam.

#6 Posted by coribald (312 posts) -

I just hate that you don't see them taking damage - makes it look like you're shooting blanks at em.

#7 Posted by BillyTheKid (485 posts) -

I did not know that they were even there because I just re spawn as quick as possible. Though all games with killcams generally appear laggy.

#8 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

I also hate how they have modeled the shield/no shield animations as its never fully clear when they have 0 shields and when their shield is out or recharging.

@laserbolts: I get killcams 3/4 of the time but I've noticed that sometimes I don't get them; it also depends, I think, on what mode you are playing.

#9 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

i think their servers are also taking a lot of damage right now. All weekend the game has just kind of been off lag wise, when it was fine early in the morning during the week. It is the first weekend after all

#10 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

@Pinworm45: and its 2012. I don't let any developer get away with that excuse. That's why you 1.) beta stress test 2.) over lease server space as you KNOW at least how many people will be on the first week. I've played games with larger player counts and bigger maps with less lag, frame rate drop, and server issues.

#11 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Do you have to enable killcams or something? I have played quite a bit of multiplayer and I have never seen a killcam.

There are no killcams for big team slayer. Might be the same for any multiplayer match over 8 players.

For the record, I have seen some minor issues with the killcams, but I thought their omission from Halo: Reach was notable. Unlike the OP, I quite often found myself thinking "you know what this needs? Killcams." I'm glad to have them in Halo 4 even if they aren't always perfect. It still conveys the necessary information, specifically, who killed me and from where, with what weapon.

#12 Posted by TheCrusher (6 posts) -

They really are nice to have. I love it most in CTF on big maps like Ragnarok where people can have snipers, rocket launchers, or an assload of other instant-kill weapons that will blindside you with no warning.

#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6310 posts) -

They're hilariously inaccurate at points. But they're useful to see where the craftier lurkers are.

#14 Posted by Ravelle (1262 posts) -

@Redsox44 said:

Same here, I just want to continue fighting and not watch myself die. It also prevents me from seeing if my grenade killed some dudes when I threw it before I died.

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

They may not be perfectly accurate, but they don't detract from anything else, it's not like there was something more important taking place in the time while you're waiting to respawn. I also played a ton of Halo 2 & 3's multiplayer and found myself constantly saying "WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE FUCKING BULLETS COMING FROM?!", so sometimes, it's nice to see where the fuck those fucking bullets were coming from.

#16 Posted by Rafaelfc (1346 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

They may not be perfectly accurate, but they don't detract from anything else, it's not like there was something more important taking place in the time while you're waiting to respawn. I also played a ton of Halo 2 & 3's multiplayer and found myself constantly saying "WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE FUCKING BULLETS COMING FROM?!", so sometimes, it's nice to see where the fuck those fucking bullets were coming from.

Precisely. Also it gets way easier to detect the camping spots on the map, and make that strategy less annoying.

#17 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

I find the Kill Cams in CoD to be inaccurate with its reticule placement as well.

#18 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but things like this are probably a result of network smoothing. Like when the data is moving between the clients, the system to some degree predicts the movement of players so that everyone around you isn't moving really rigidly. Which means that the actually position of the player's aiming as you see it can often appear slightly different from where they actually shot you. P2P hosting doesn't exactly help either.

#19 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

It's better than CoD's killcam.

"What the hell, i put an entire clip into that guys face yet he still killed me!" *watches kill cam* "Well according to this man's television i was standing there admiring this floor and did not fire a single bullet, isn't that strange"

"Nobody in this room? Cool" *gets knifed* *watches kill cam* "Odd how that man seems to hold the power of teleportation and matter phasing as he seemed to pass through this wall from 50 feet away"

And don't go telling me this was lag, as it happened not just to me, but all of my friends who i played the game with too.

#20 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Kill cams will look off sometimes, mainly if you were sprinting. That doesn't mean the person who shot you was aiming off target and still hitting you though. On their screen, their crosshairs were on target. That's just how it has to be for now unfortunately. They can't make the internet work as well as a lan party. Just know that other players are not sniping you when their crosshairs were a meter away from you, even though the kill cam makes it appear that way.

#21 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

It seems like there is more aim assist in this game or else I have just gotten way better at headshotting guys.

#22 Posted by elko84 (1068 posts) -

@Redsox44 said:

#23 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2388 posts) -

Yeah the killcam makes it look like everyone has aimbot, but that's nothing new. My only problem is it only appears some of the time.

#24 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Yeah, the kill cams are hilariously off, especially when someone's using a precision weapon. If I were them I would have just showed a 3rd person view of the action, similar to how they do in theater mode.

#25 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

@Green_Incarnate: I agree, but with how wildly inconsistent the game is for me compared to those in the past it makes me wonder if the problems lies deeper than just the killcam playback. I think the general net code for this game is far poorer than any of the past games. Halo Waypoint shows me as having 30 incomplete games, which is ridiculous and far more than any game in the series' past. Not to mention several games that fail after a person leaves, party members not being able to come into the game or seemingly being left out when the match starts, etc. Can't really say I'm pleased with the package this time around and it makes me think for the first time that the majority of review for this game are over inflated but mostly because the people reviewing them typically don't play Halo games. I need to see what Dan Hsu thought of the game.

#26 Posted by endersghost (1 posts) -

I'm so happy someone else has brought this up. The kill cams on Halo 4 are an embarrassment to FPS games. They really should disable them for now work out the bugs. Just tonight I was sniped and I wasn't even on their screen. As for COD their kill cams are rarely off except for the occasional quick scope kill. Not seeing the damage is also frustrating. In fact the only time I get annoyed while playing Halo 4 is when I watch the kill cams. There is no comparison to COD. COD shows grenade throws, shows damage received, is calibrated correctly and is consistent. I'm not sure why in Halo 4 some kills have kill cams and others don't. Overall a frustrating experience and I don't think it's something you can blame on lag since the rest of the game play has been consistent. 343 has some work to do. Maybe they'll address it in their next update.

#27 Posted by big_jon (5726 posts) -

They have been confirmed to be glitched, but I never see them anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.