Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

Nostalgia vs Familiarity: Familiarity wins.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

Edited By flufflogic

So, I took my original Xbox with me to work yesterday. 

No, it wasn't an act of self hatred (damn that thing is heavy), but nostalgia: with Reach out tomorrow, I wanted to go back and play some CE or the sequel, to get me back in the mood. I'm a massive fan of the series, and naturally I've played every part of the series. Heck, I used to own a mint condition Legendary edition of Halo 3 (which, due to some financial bumps, I've now sold). I figured going back to the first games would be easy, that it'd be a nice trip down memory lane before the new game. 

I was so, so wrong. 

Not for the reason you'd expect; gameplay-wise, it's still fantastic. I got back into the weapon trees, pistol sniping and so on very easily. The problem is... well, you forget how much they've honed the game now. The first time I had to quit totally out of the game to the main options just to invert my sticks (first time I had to do combat), I remembered how inconvenient gaming used to be. The first time I got in a Warthog, I discovered how much game physics had moved on. And everything was so huge (playing on the 42" LCD didn't help, natch), the controls were fiddly... 

I got up to Truth and Reconciliation (post-boarding) before quitting. By that point, on Heroic, solo, I'd had 5 deaths: 2 to enemies (damn that boarding repelling party is tough), and 3 to just not being able to control the Warthog properly. I love Halo CE, and I want it to remain that way - so I had to stop. I can't let reality ruin my great memories...

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By flufflogic

So, I took my original Xbox with me to work yesterday. 

No, it wasn't an act of self hatred (damn that thing is heavy), but nostalgia: with Reach out tomorrow, I wanted to go back and play some CE or the sequel, to get me back in the mood. I'm a massive fan of the series, and naturally I've played every part of the series. Heck, I used to own a mint condition Legendary edition of Halo 3 (which, due to some financial bumps, I've now sold). I figured going back to the first games would be easy, that it'd be a nice trip down memory lane before the new game. 

I was so, so wrong. 

Not for the reason you'd expect; gameplay-wise, it's still fantastic. I got back into the weapon trees, pistol sniping and so on very easily. The problem is... well, you forget how much they've honed the game now. The first time I had to quit totally out of the game to the main options just to invert my sticks (first time I had to do combat), I remembered how inconvenient gaming used to be. The first time I got in a Warthog, I discovered how much game physics had moved on. And everything was so huge (playing on the 42" LCD didn't help, natch), the controls were fiddly... 

I got up to Truth and Reconciliation (post-boarding) before quitting. By that point, on Heroic, solo, I'd had 5 deaths: 2 to enemies (damn that boarding repelling party is tough), and 3 to just not being able to control the Warthog properly. I love Halo CE, and I want it to remain that way - so I had to stop. I can't let reality ruin my great memories...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.