Rumor: Halo: CE Remake Might Ship With Co-Op

• 92 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

So, more rumors are swirling about that supposed Halo: Combat Evolved re-release that is supposed to be coming later this November, just in time for the original game’s 10-year anniversary. According to sources speaking to Joystiq, Halo: CE HD is being re-made with brand new art assets and might just ship with online co-op for two. 

The pub’s sources also reveal that TimeShift developer, Saber Interactive, is the company behind the remake--a remake that’ll be able to boast about its 1080p visuals, 3D support, and new control schemes. The engine, however, won’t be Halo: Reach’s, as has been rumored in the past, according to these sources. 

Believe.

... And that’s all the new “news” regarding this supposed title, if sources prove accurate. Like Destructoid says in their post about this, it’s hard to believe that Microsoft won’t stand to make a lot of money from this venture, so it’s definitely believable. Still, grain of salt.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

So, more rumors are swirling about that supposed Halo: Combat Evolved re-release that is supposed to be coming later this November, just in time for the original game’s 10-year anniversary. According to sources speaking to Joystiq, Halo: CE HD is being re-made with brand new art assets and might just ship with online co-op for two. 

The pub’s sources also reveal that TimeShift developer, Saber Interactive, is the company behind the remake--a remake that’ll be able to boast about its 1080p visuals, 3D support, and new control schemes. The engine, however, won’t be Halo: Reach’s, as has been rumored in the past, according to these sources. 

Believe.

... And that’s all the new “news” regarding this supposed title, if sources prove accurate. Like Destructoid says in their post about this, it’s hard to believe that Microsoft won’t stand to make a lot of money from this venture, so it’s definitely believable. Still, grain of salt.
#2 Posted by shibs (1 posts) -

Finally

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11136 posts) -

I was going to say that Halo CE already had co-op, but then I read the word online. So never mind! 

#4 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I've always wanted to play the first Halo on my 360. 
#5 Posted by MisterMouse (3555 posts) -

not really interested...

#6 Posted by Ockman (194 posts) -

Ya know, I'll be honest that I would not complain about a remake of Halo CE, largely because the art assets in that game haven't aged as well. It's still the best of the single player Halo experiences IMO, and with some upgraded visuals, I'll be glad to play it again!

#7 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

ZZZZzzzZZzzZZzzzzzz

#8 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Now I knew they had to be doing something for the anniversary. 
I would certainly not mind a HD remake of CE... though one could hope they do something about the dreadful flood corridors.

#9 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

COOL HALO CUSTOM EDITION GETTIN THE HD FIX.

#10 Posted by big_jon (5734 posts) -

More Elites! I can't wait to so Reach style Elites fight flood.
#11 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1216 posts) -

what a bold rumor

#12 Posted by walterkovacsv (94 posts) -

bleh

#13 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Why the hell wouldn't it be the Reach engine?? BOOOOO!!!

#14 Posted by EveretteScott (1497 posts) -
@FiestaUnicorn said:
" I've always wanted to play the first Halo on my 360.  "
You already can.
#15 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

God, I'm getting old - has it really been 10 years?

#16 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

Brings back fond memories of 8 person split screen matches in my friends basement

#17 Posted by RampageAssassin (426 posts) -

Not going to buy it unless it releases at a discounted price. Sabre aren't that great.

#18 Posted by Waffles13 (610 posts) -

How the hell does this qualify as news? Christ.

#19 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

I've been skeptical but the fact that they're not just slapping the awful engine from Reach on here and calling it a day is promising.

#20 Posted by AuthenticM (3739 posts) -

Why wouldn't it use the Reach engine? Does it belong to Bungie?

#21 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

Want. 

Betcha' it's true, too. Sony and Microsoft have the worst time trying to keep these types of things behind closed doors. Always leaks out. Always.

#22 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (686 posts) -

I'd love this. 

#23 Posted by warmonked (361 posts) -

Halo was great and all... for the time. But it seriously has some of the worst level design ever. I wouldn't want to play a remake.

#24 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Can't say I'm super excited for this, but it is a nice thing to do for the 10th anniversary and it's about the only FPS I have any interest in playing for the next good while.

#25 Posted by dck (50 posts) -

Wait, a Russian studio is remaking Halo CE? Sounds kind of ridiculous.

#26 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Reckon i'll probably give this a miss if it does indeed exist. 

Remade in the reach engine (which isn't that great anyway but certainly palatable)  sure why not - kinda wouldn't want to go through the Halo :CE experience with 'slightly less jaggies' and an updated frame rate. 

I'd say the way that Reach ended pretty much demanded the first game be remade in a similar fashion though

#27 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@FiestaUnicorn: 

Which you can do by inserting the game into the disc drive, or purchasing it from the marketplace.
#28 Posted by kenya24 (235 posts) -

Were I to re-play this, and for it to really capture the magic of the first halo... They'll have to jack the graphics way way up. At LEAST to crysis level maxed out.  

But it's likely being made for 12 year olds that were too young at the time to play it. However, the awesomeness of the original halo will likely be lost on them. They're the same people that like the Star Wars prequels more...

#29 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Halo: Still the only franchise that knows how console multiplayer is supposed to work.

#30 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

This is the only HD remake I'm interested in. I'd love to see an updated version of Halo (still the best game in the series, BTW). Gimme all those old maps in HD with online/co-op play and I'm set.

#31 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1037 posts) -

I don't have enough love for the Halo series to ever play through the first one again--not even in a shiny new package--but I'm not gonna shit on you folks that are excited. Have fun. :)

#32 Posted by Master_Funk (734 posts) -

I love Halo:CE, but the level design would feel very dated in 2011.  
Like Jeff said about playing orcarina of time on 3DS, it would probably ruin you memories of it.

#33 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Fuck this game.

#34 Posted by Valkyr (668 posts) -

The 360 can't output 1080p natively, the engine could be capable of rendering at 720p at best and then the image would be upscaled by the hardware upscaler to output in 1080p. There is no Halo game running at true HD (1280x720), Halo 3's resolution is 1152x640 and Halo:Reach's is 1152x720 and I can't imagine Saber Interactive's engine performing better than Bungie's.

#35 Posted by big_jon (5734 posts) -

Wait, no Reach engine? That would be lame.
#36 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@VinceNotVance said:
" This is the only HD remake I'm interested in. I'd love to see an updated version of Halo (still the best game in the series, BTW). Gimme all those old maps in HD with online/co-op play and I'm set. "
It's not an HD port, it's a full remake.
#37 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

Would purchase in a heart beat.

#38 Posted by Terjay (817 posts) -

I'd buy the hell out of this.

#39 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Hope this is true.  Whether or not it re-uses the Reach engine.

#40 Posted by Scotty_Gun (23 posts) -

I would expect any Halo iteration from this point forward to offer the current baseline feature set.
#41 Posted by Max_Antrax (107 posts) -

didnt the origional CE had co-op Im just saying

#42 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Very enticing yes, but not for a full $60. Well maybe if it's really good. 

#43 Posted by ez123 (1966 posts) -
@Max_Antrax said:

" didnt the origional CE had co-op Im just saying "

Title /= Article
#44 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
#45 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

Original Halo re-make. I'm in.  

There's nothing like going back to the source and re-tasting things again to see how much things have changed since you first played it. 

As a cool side bonus hopefully the achievement score is 1000/1000 and not indie level achievements like 200/200. :-)

#46 Posted by TromboneTony (156 posts) -

Meh, I bought Halo: CE on Live when it was only $5 during Microsoft's Black Friday sale. I played it for maybe an hour, then completely forgot about it. Don't think I'll be picking this up when it comes out.

#47 Posted by ZipCrash (175 posts) -

Am the only one who sees "Halo: CE" and think people are talking about the collector's edition of Halo? Always takes me a minute to go "Oh yea, Combat Evolved".

#48 Edited by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

I thought Timeshift was a decent game, but I dunno if Saber are the ones to remake the original Halo. Trashing the game that started it all doesn't seem like a wise move for either party.
#49 Posted by Siphillis (1292 posts) -

Longshot, but I wish this game ran at 60fps.

#50 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Y'know... This game is still totally playable. Does this really warrant a re-make?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.