Would you buy Halo 1 HD remake for $60?

• 133 results
#1 Edited by DrSwank (439 posts) -

Read an interesting article about the Halo:CE (original Halo) being remade into HD quality for Xbox 360, but with online multiplayer!! To me, Halo 1 is still the best Halo! My friends think I'm crazy for even considering paying over $30, but the fact is, I would pay $50-$60 for a Halo 1 HD remake! I love this game, and I'm glad they're finally getting around to do it.

How much would you pay for a Halo 1 HD remake with online multiplayer?

Update: After a lot of people weighing in, seems like $30 is the target price point that they'll have to hit. People will consider $60 if it's packaged with HD remakes of H1, H2, and H3. That would be a pretty compelling package, But I can't see Microsoft doing that, imho.
#2 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

40$ maybe.

#3 Posted by SMTDante89 (2475 posts) -

I wouldn't pay a thing for it.

#4 Posted by cyraxible (680 posts) -

No, paying more than the price it debuted at 10 years ago is pretty ridiculous. $30 is still way too expensive.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

I wouldn't. If it's completely redeveloped in a new engine/Halo Reach engine, I might, but just an HD version of Halo 1? Not a chance. Halo 1 doesn't really need the graphical update like Halo 2 would, and I don't care to play it online at all.

#6 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

I'd pay $20 for it.

#7 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Nah....1200 Microsoft Points tops...but since I'm not really interested in playing that game co-op, I'm happy enough sticking with my OG Xbox version.

#8 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

It'd have to be a bit more than a straight remake to deserve over fifteen dollars.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (34619 posts) -

No, not at all.

#10 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

Nope. I'm not paying full price for an up-res'd version of a game released ten years ago. I might buy it for 15 or 20 bucks but no more.

#11 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Hell no. 10-15 dollars and I might be onboard.

#12 Posted by DrSwank (439 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk: But what if it was in the best Halo Engine to day, but all the physics and everything were brand new?
#13 Posted by Sogeman (852 posts) -

1200 MSP, like every other Arcade game. If they release it on disc...lol

#14 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

I would, yeah. Halo: Reach didn't cut it.

#15 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -

They should release all three games in a trilogy box instead with Halo CE and Halo 2 remade in HD. I'd pay full price for that package. Only paying $60 for CE in HD? No. $20 download tops.

#16 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -
I'd pay 30 for it, nothing more.
#17 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

I'd give 1200 MSPoint for it. $60? No way.

#18 Posted by DrSwank (439 posts) -
@Fullmetal216: But it's a classic! Think about adding netcode to a game that wasn't written for it though? I've heard from developers that it can be a very time consuming and difficult process. So hard in fact, that a lot decide not to. 
#19 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

If they full on remade it in a new engine so that it looks like a completely new game and they added XBL supports I would have to say yes.

#20 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -
@drewmaw: Nope. It's still the same game.
#21 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

If it was redone in the Reach engine yes but if it is just the original game in HD no.

#22 Posted by DrSwank (439 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
" They should release all three games in a trilogy box instead with Halo CE and Halo 2 remade in HD. I'd pay full price for that package. Only paying $60 for CE in HD? No. $20 download tops. "
Ooo, that's very interesting!! Maybe that's why they pulled the Halo 2 servers?
#23 Posted by DrSwank (439 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" I would, yeah. Halo: Reach didn't cut it. "
I totally agree!!!! It's like the uncanney valley effect. The closer they get to making a game like Halo 1, the worse it is for me... because all I want is Halo 1 damnit!
#24 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

Nah.

#25 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Highest I would pay is 15$ and only if it was digitally distributed.

#26 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

No, but then again I never bought any of the Halo games.

#27 Posted by Wes899 (2102 posts) -

$15

#28 Posted by Choffy (432 posts) -

I'd go no higher than $20. 1200 Microsoft Points just seems too low.

#29 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I would pay $20. I would also pay $40 if they included Halo 2.

Let's look at it this way. HD remakes is no where near worth the $60 price point. Why do you think the God of War collection was $40 when released. Same with...

-Sly Collection
-Tomb Raider Collection
-Prince of Persia Collection
-The soon to be Team Ico Collection

I mean, if I notice Microsoft charging $60 for a Halo HD, then I know they're just taking advantage of their consumers. Unless the game is a complete remake from top to bottom. Then I could understand them charging $60.
#30 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

The exact same game?  No, but if they completely redid it and didn't just upres it maybe.  If they add maps, features from newer games (not armour abilities), every map from a halo game so far, more weapons, and more it could be awesome.  Honestly, I think Halo 3 was the peak of halo, basically Halo 2 gameplay with HD graphics.  Also, CE is so unbalanced if you play it, the pistol three shots people across the map and voids the viability of every weapon.  This post is a little rambly but I'm not gonna fix it.

#31 Posted by Getz (2955 posts) -

Uh, I think the answer you're looking for is "fuck no"

It's just Halo.
#32 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

I've never played it so probably not, no.

#33 Posted by EuanDewar (4514 posts) -

Nope, even if they added XBL support I still wouldn't pay more then £20. Better halo games and specifically better Halo Multiplayer components have come out since then. They'd have to completely re-tool the maps and add all of the current vehicles, which I doubt they can be arsed to do.

#34 Posted by OldGuy (1431 posts) -

Nope. $20, maybe, but probably not.

#35 Posted by xyzygy (9631 posts) -

You know it's going to have online and expand upon Reach's online. I would probably pay 40$ for it. I think Reach dethroned CE as the best, but CE is the second best.

#36 Posted by JJGIANT (755 posts) -

Nope nope

#37 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

It's story is the only reason I played, not that it was the best story ever, but it filled a big gap for me when I was still relatively new to Halo a couple years ago.

#38 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -
@drewmaw: But those developers could spend their time working on a new game instead making an old game look nicer. Yes the original Halo was an amazing game that changed the way first-person shooters played on consoles, but that doesn't mean it's worth paying ten more dollars than it originally cost. If they really overhauled the visuals so they looked like Reach, and added some completely new things to the game then I'd buy it for a higher price. It's just I'm a little tired of the Halo series as of late.
#39 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

Absolutely. I'm 20 so Halo: CE was one of the first "new" shooters I ever played, so I have so many fond memories of that game that I'd absolutely sink down $60 for an HD remake, as long as it had the Halo multiplayer suite we're familiar with in Reach and 3. 

#40 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I am still of the opinion that the sequels to Halo CE are infinitely superior, so I don't understand why people would pay anything for this.

#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

No.

#42 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

$40

#43 Posted by DrSwank (439 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" I would pay $20. I would also pay $40 if they included Halo 2.

Let's look at it this way. HD remakes is no where near worth the $60 price point. Why do you think the God of War collection was $40 when released. Same with...

-Sly Collection
-Tomb Raider Collection
-Prince of Persia Collection
-The soon to be Team Ico Collection

I mean, if I notice Microsoft charging $60 for a Halo HD, then I know they're just taking advantage of their consumers. Unless the game is a complete remake from top to bottom. Then I could understand them charging $60.
"
That makes sense. $40 dollars then would make the most sense to us as consumers, but I'm curious what makes the most sense to M$.
#44 Posted by DrSwank (439 posts) -
@Progn0sticator said:
" Absolutely. I'm 20 so Halo: CE was one of the first "new" shooters I ever played, so I have so many fond memories of that game that I'd absolutely sink down $60 for an HD remake, as long as it had the Halo multiplayer suite we're familiar with in Reach and 3.  "
I completely agree. The nostalgia alone is worth the price of entry.
#45 Posted by Toxin066 (3197 posts) -

$60 for an HD halo 1, halo 2, and some sort of OST and I'd totally be in.

#46 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

I think people would be better off with a xbox version or digital release of Halo CE then just stick to Reach and/or ODST for multiplayer.

#47 Posted by Otacon (2194 posts) -

I'd really prefer something new, I do love Halo but I feel like the nostalgia factor would wear off quite quickly.

#48 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

You mean, would I pay $60 for an HD/updated quadrilogy of H1/H2/H3 and Reach altogether? Sure.

#49 Posted by LiquidPrince (15610 posts) -

No sir.

#50 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

No, I'd pay 30 at the most

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.