Bungie Launches iOS App for Halo: Reach, Signals Start of Something Big

Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

E3 2011 has come and gone without nary a mention of Bungie and Activision's collaborative project, suspected to be an online, massively multiplayer shooter codenamed Destiny.

As Bungie transfers control over the Halo franchise to 343 Industries this year, Bungie's taking its first steps forward without Master Chief, starting with the launch of an iOS application called Bungie Mobile and teasing details on Bungie Aerospace, a mysterious thing the studio's been filing trademarks about for a while.

Right now, the iOS application only pulls statistical data for Halo: Reach, keeps you updated on the latest Bungie news, and look up other people by their gamertags.

More is coming, though.

"It’s our first, small step into the mobile world. The first of many," said community content writer Eric Osborne. "It really is just a beginning--our first, super cute baby step. We already have adult-type plans to keep updating Bungie.net Mobile with new features and enhancements in the months and years to come."

The studio has said less about Bungie Aerospace, which will be revealed during Bungie Day. The festivities surrounding Bungie Day actually begin on June 23 and eventually conclude July 7.

"We're going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what Bungie Aerospace is all about," said Osborne.

What you shouldn't expect, however, is a reveal of Destiny--if it's called that. Not yet.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

E3 2011 has come and gone without nary a mention of Bungie and Activision's collaborative project, suspected to be an online, massively multiplayer shooter codenamed Destiny.

As Bungie transfers control over the Halo franchise to 343 Industries this year, Bungie's taking its first steps forward without Master Chief, starting with the launch of an iOS application called Bungie Mobile and teasing details on Bungie Aerospace, a mysterious thing the studio's been filing trademarks about for a while.

Right now, the iOS application only pulls statistical data for Halo: Reach, keeps you updated on the latest Bungie news, and look up other people by their gamertags.

More is coming, though.

"It’s our first, small step into the mobile world. The first of many," said community content writer Eric Osborne. "It really is just a beginning--our first, super cute baby step. We already have adult-type plans to keep updating Bungie.net Mobile with new features and enhancements in the months and years to come."

The studio has said less about Bungie Aerospace, which will be revealed during Bungie Day. The festivities surrounding Bungie Day actually begin on June 23 and eventually conclude July 7.

"We're going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what Bungie Aerospace is all about," said Osborne.

What you shouldn't expect, however, is a reveal of Destiny--if it's called that. Not yet.

Staff
#2 Posted by Burb (10 posts) -

What is it!?

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5152 posts) -

cool

#4 Posted by HeliumSpoon (136 posts) -

weeeeeeeeeee

#5 Posted by andrewhandshoe (6 posts) -

Sadly no Android app. Hopefully soon.

#6 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

Cool, got my free stuff and sent some invites to some friends.

#7 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

Patrick keeps it real, and neat as always.

#8 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Well, after barely any research at all I think I've got it! Typing in aerospace in the giantbomb wiki sends you to UAC or the Union Aerospace Corporation. The UAC, for those wondering are, "a fictional research company located on Mars." Guess which game this UAC is from.................................DOOM. It's a Doom game. Catch it!

#9 Posted by TrustyPelletGun (17 posts) -

Having access to the challenges, my stats and my friend's stats on my iPhone is probably going to make me get back into Reach more often. Oh, and the blue flames were a nice gift. Thanks Bungie.

#10 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -

well I feel like that confirms that a future release will be mobile bound...

#11 Posted by Tumbler (161 posts) -

Apple lovers! Where is the Android App!? I would like to see another sci fi shooter. Sounds like Respawn and Bungie are trying to get a sci fi shooter going. Plus Prey 2! Finally getting some games I am excited to see!

#12 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

What is the name of this app?

#13 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Sounds cool.

#14 Posted by Agent47 (1896 posts) -

And it's free....hmmm imagine that.Unless they come out and say it's not but Bungie aren't dicks.

#15 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I thought Aerospace was Destiny. I have never heard them ever mention Destiny on Bungie.net and they only refer to their one project as being Bungie Aerospace. You sure this is right?

#16 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

Wouldn't this be more of a 343 Industries joint, with Bungie about to move on? Unless Bungie is handing over the Halo portion of Aerospace eventually, and changing its focus to Destiny in the future...

#17 Posted by techknight (5 posts) -
#18 Posted by MeatSim (10853 posts) -

I hope it's not some sort of mobile game.

#19 Posted by dagas (2833 posts) -

Am I the only one who read that as "Bungle" instead of "Bungie"?

#20 Edited by AngriGhandi (779 posts) -

Aerospace implies flight... and the spaceflight part of Halo: Reach was pretty cool... therefore Bungie must be doing some kind of cool space combat game!

I'm good at this.

#21 Posted by circle_of_iron (37 posts) -

Aerospace ... maybe a flight sim?  that would be kinda cool... 

#22 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

i find it so amusing that this app came out first on iOS and doesn't even mention a Windows Phone 7 version.

#23 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

So it's like a counterpiece to Call of duty's Elite.

#24 Posted by rmanthorp (3946 posts) -

Halo is srs bzns!

#25 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I find it funny they release an app for iPhones when there's far, far more phones out there running Android.

#26 Posted by Aaron_G (1615 posts) -

Big deal really. I wish Bungie would have shown something off this year at E3.

#27 Posted by Consaw (250 posts) -

It's cool but, I would have been a lot more interested in this if it came out with Reach. Now its just kinda mehh...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.