Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Did you feel a connection with the NPCs and "You"?

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather

I have a deep connection with Masterchief, Cortana, Sgt Johnsson, Keyes....but these new characters nothing i just couldnt care less about them.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I really like the characters in the Half-Life universe. Also the characters in any Double-Fine game.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

If anything, I hated the NPCs in Reach.  They're always squawking at you to do something, whilst doing next to nothing themselves. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

They annoyed me, I wish I could have just played the game squadless.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By niamahai

i like Kat and Freddy Mercury-spartan.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

I think Halo is the only game where I felt absolutely no connection to anyone. Seriously, I've kinda hated every single character in every Halo game I've played (Halo: CE, Halo 3, Halo: Reach)

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By FreakAche

I never really cared for the characters in Halo games, so no.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By EvilTwin

Halo: Reach has gone farther down the road of actually developing characters than any Halo game before it.  It wasn't masterful, but it was serviceable enough.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777
    @EvilTwin said:
    " Halo: Reach has gone farther down the road of actually developing characters than any Halo game before it.  It wasn't masterful, but it was serviceable enough. "
    Agreed
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By flaminghobo

I've never particularly felt any connection with any of the characters in the Halo universe. The game that was able to come the closest was Halo 3: ODST and even then I didn't find the characters particularly interesting.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Teran
    There are BIG Halo Reach spoilers in this post.

@AnimalFather

said:

" I have a deep connection with Masterchief, Cortana, Sgt Johnsson, Keyes....but these new characters nothing i just couldnt care less about them. "

There are three Halo games featuring these characters (give or take).  Take any one of those games and think about the character development that happened... Reach did a far better job of character development than Halo 1-3.

I personally didn't grow too attached to the characters because I have read the Halo books and knew from the get go what would happen to reach.  Part of me hoped some of the team would survive but I assumed they would be dead by the end of the game and enjoyed them the same way I enjoyed the marines in Aliens.

I was actually really pleasantly surprised at the quality of character development... in fact some of the cutscenes do an incredible job showing off the personalities and priorities of the team through their actions.  Look at the cutscene at the end of "Winter Contingency" (first playable level) and you see more personality than could easily be described.

We see Jorge duck the elite attack and his first instinct is to put his body between the civilian and elite and once he's on the ground he takes care not to crush her (she'd have been red paste if he let the full weight of his armor rest on her) and even struggles to keep her under him as she panics.  We see Kat absorbed in the technical aspects of getting the com center working.  Carter watches the over all situation and shoves Kat out of the way of an energy sword attack (practically shoving her into/through the computer).

Noble 6 is aware and on top of things and along with Carter immediately opens up on the elites before 6 is bowled over and knocked flat.  What came next was Noble 6 establishing himself as a badass who is at the Master Chief's level (well in the games at least, MC did take a few elites unarmed in the books) managing to deflect a fatal blade attack before punching the elite in the face buying just enough time for Carter to come over and kick the elite off of you likely saving your life before sliding your rifle back into your hands.  Once the immediate danger is passed Carter orders two Spartans to go after the elites as though failure against evenly matched enemies simply was not possible... and then you not only go after the elites, but Jorge locks the door behind you to prevent anyone from escaping.

Now a lot of this may not be traditional character development, but more along the lines of world development.  We see elites do things we've never seen before like taking a hostage, we see Spartans operating in the way they were meant to operate (squads) which we never got to see in the others.  We see that the marines while fragile aren't written off as cannon fodder, just outarmed and armored soldiers doing their best to beat a superior opponent.  Over all Halo: Reach had reasonably strong / interesting characters but its biggest contribution was fleshing out a part of the world folks who haven't read the books never knew about...  The last thing that really impressed me was the subtle way they developed Noble 6.  In every game level we basically learn something new about him/her and we start to see that Noble 6 was waist deep in black ops and things so classified even his superiors aren't supposed to know about. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.