Favorite (SPOILERS)

#1 Edited by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

What was your favorite death in Reach? Mine is torn between Jorge and Emile. I like how Jorge sacrificed himself and the fact that carter said "He died thinking he won the war. We all should be so lucky". And emile death was awesome because he went in a badassery way. "Who's Next!? Stab I'm ready! HOW ABOUT YOU?" And then he stabs the elite in the neck. But honestly, I think my number 1 fav was my own. That was very sad...

#2 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

Noble Six was definately the only one that went out like a true badass.

#3 Edited by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Kat getting shot in the head from nowhere was very surprising. At least for me, that one was the most interesting because of the shock of it happening the way it did.
The other deaths were telegraphed a mile away so it didn't phase me when they happened.

#4 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -
@Kanji said:
" Noble Six was definately the only one that went out like a true badass. "
Agreed, I was confused what was going on until my screen started cracking. It was epic. Otherwise Emile was awesome.
#5 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

That part during the mission where you're flying the falcon around the city rooftops, and that covenent cruiser comes in and starts glassing the city. That made me jump because I didn't see it coming.

#6 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Aside from Kat (who's death was just shocking), I thought all of Noble Team's deaths were pretty badass. I guess I liked Carter's the most, because while Jorge's was great it was really easy to see coming, and Emile's was pretty awesome but crazy over-the-top. Carter's just made sense and I only figured out what he was going to do when he said "you'll need help".

Good stuff, all around.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Jorge's death was touchy stuff, he died thinking he saved the planet....poor sod!
Emile was well, over the top but I never liked him much.
Jun thankfully flew off in that pelican with Halsey so fuck him too.
Carter needs to learn to fly (and the UNSC needs to put shielding at the driverseat) and not go all suicide on Scarabs.
Kat....wait what? KAPOW and she's gone...

My Noble Six went out like a champ, but I still vote for Jorge I suppose, his death had the most weight.

#8 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Kat was the most impactful death, Jorge had an amazing death too. 

So sad.
#9 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -
@BunkerBuster said:
" Kat getting shot in the head from nowhere was very surprising. At least for me, that one was the most interesting because of the shock of it happening the way it did. The other deaths were telegraphed a mile away so it didn't phase me when they happened. "
I thought that her death was the most disappointing. It seemed random and it wasn't really addressed. I really like Emile's death as it was pretty epic since he took down that second elite after getting sworded. 
#10 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@big_jon said:
" Kat was the most impactful death, Jorge had an amazing death too.  So sad. "
Yeah, the cut scene that happens after Jorge's death gave me chills, it reminds me of the reveal trailer last year.  
#11 Posted by Baillie (4074 posts) -

Kat. Dude, that was done really well.

#12 Posted by TimesHero (677 posts) -
@Kanji said:
" Noble Six was definately the only one that went out like a true badass. "
This.
#13 Posted by flufflogic (289 posts) -

Jorge, by far. Big man made sure his impact was felt.

#14 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

Jorge and Kat were emotionally powerful for totally different reasons. Six's death was really bleak, but it was sort of countered by the fact that the mission had been a success.  

The deaths were handled really well in this game. Unlike Halo 3, I'd argue. 

#15 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Kat. That cutscene after that where they're holding her body and looking at the burning city was the most powerful part of the campaign. 

#16 Edited by Kutkh (19 posts) -

Kat and Six, for me, although I thought they were all really well handled. The only frustrating one for me was Carter's - it was great, but two Spartans (even S-IIIs) could totally take a Scarab by themselves, perhaps even commandeer it like Johnson in Halo 2. If they'd done that, the end of the game could have gone very differently. 

#17 Posted by FixerofDeath (308 posts) -

I thought Emile's death was pretty awesome, but was I the only one who only managed to kill one grunt before getting roflstomped by the elites on heroic difficulty? Honestly the scene came up, I shot a grunt and then got blown up by a plasma grenade. The whole sequence lasted about 4 seconds.

#18 Posted by flufflogic (289 posts) -

There wasn't anyone to do anything to me for any of the cutscenes...

#19 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Kat's was amazing, the cut-scenes after her death was so beautiful. Noble Team staring at a burning city with her in 6's arms. 

I didn't see Carter's coming i thought he would be the last to go seeing he is the leader, and the way he took out the Scarab was badass. 
Emille went out with like a champ, as well as Jorge, throwing you out of a spaceship. 6 well we all know how great that was, kinda sad we didn't get to see what happened to Jun.

#20 Posted by Lumley (950 posts) -

Emile, he went out fighting

#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@BunkerBuster said:
" Kat getting shot in the head from nowhere was very surprising. At least for me, that one was the most interesting because of the shock of it happening the way it did. The other deaths were telegraphed a mile away so it didn't phase me when they happened. "
Yup this. It happened fast and out of nowhere.
#22 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -
@FixerofDeath said:
" I thought Emile's death was pretty awesome, but was I the only one who only managed to kill one grunt before getting roflstomped by the elites on heroic difficulty? Honestly the scene came up, I shot a grunt and then got blown up by a plasma grenade. The whole sequence lasted about 4 seconds. "
I took out 4 or 5 elites before I got my ass kicked.   Sounds like you got boned right at the start, though.  Lol
#23 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

Kat, I hated her, so to see her get shot like that, I was very happy :D

#24 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I have to go with Kat. The fact it came mid-sentence too was just awesome.

#25 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

Carter is my favorite Noble, so I liked that he sacrificed himself so you could complete the mission.  

#26 Posted by XenoNick (1394 posts) -

I thought they were all powerful ends for the squad. Noble 6 gets my vote. Fighting until the end.

#27 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Jorge picking you up and sending you off touched me.

He is also my favorite Noble.
After that, it would be Noble Six, Carter, and then Emilie.

Kat's was just stupid.

#28 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -
@JoeRiccadonna:  I would have to go with Kat's death. That one came out of nowhere like in a war movie and see was my favorite Spartan in Reach. We all running to the next objective to kick some a** and Kat is talking and then bam out of nowhere she is out. The next one I would have to say Noble 6 he went out like a G. I really liked how they did that even when he looked like he was done he was still hanging in there.
#29 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Emile, he was a tough motherfucker. Joint runner-up goes to Six, the boss guy and jorge. Kat's death was stupid and easily forgetful. 

Also: Favourite*. 

#30 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

I loved Carters death. "Carter out" 

Boom

#31 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

Kat, Jorge's or Six's. All of them are awesome.

#32 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

Question did Jun die? Because I dont remember seeing him die?

#33 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -
@Hooded: 

Yes. You can see Jun's body on the very last mission of the game where you have to fight as long as you can. He's laying there on the platform you start on (the one with the turret).

Kat's death annoyed the hell out of me. Everyone else gets a heroic death while sacrificing themselves for the mission/planet/Humanity/etc. (Jorge staying behind to detonate the Slipspace drive, Carter flying into the Scarab to protect Noble 6 and Emile, Emile protecting the Autumn and Noble 6, and Jun...well, he obviously protected Doctor Halsey. How he actually died? Probably not that heroic.) Kat was just running along and then BAM, plasma through the head. She was one of my favorites, too.

If I had to pick a favorite, though, it would be Jorge. He was just a big ol' teddy bear. Reach was his home. He was a Spartan II. He believed his sacrifice would save the planet. What's not to love?
#34 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@Aragorn123 said:
" @Hooded:   Yes. You can see Jun's body on the very last mission of the game where you have to fight as long as you can. He's laying there on the platform you start on (the one with the turret).  

Ah thanks, I didnt get to do that because I finished the game with scoring on. But good to know he died too. :)
#35 Posted by SythonX7 (134 posts) -
@Aragorn123 said:
" @Hooded:   Yes. You can see Jun's body on the very last mission of the game where you have to fight as long as you can. He's laying there on the platform you start on (the one with the turret). 
Are you sure its Jun, the halo wiki disagrees, according to them the Legendary commentary says that he is still alive, IDK you might be right. 

Anyway my favourite death was definitely Noble 6 followed closely by Emile, kinda liked the guy, having him with me the entire last mission. 
#36 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -
@SythonX7 said:
" @Aragorn123 said:
Are you sure its Jun, the halo wiki disagrees, according to them the Legendary commentary says that he is still alive, IDK you might be right.   Anyway my favourite death was definitely Noble 6 followed closely by Emile, kinda liked the guy, having him with me the entire last mission.  "
I have only played the ending once so far. I'll make sure to load up that final level again and make sure, but it definitely looked like Jun. Could be wrong, though.
#37 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@Aragorn123 said:
" @Hooded:   Yes. You can see Jun's body on the very last mission of the game where you have to fight as long as you can. He's laying there on the platform you start on (the one with the turret).  "
I don't think that was Jun. The spartan there had an EOD helmet, not the one Jun had.
#38 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" @Aragorn123 said:
" @Hooded:   Yes. You can see Jun's body on the very last mission of the game where you have to fight as long as you can. He's laying there on the platform you start on (the one with the turret).  "
I don't think that was Jun. The spartan there had an EOD helmet, not the one Jun had. "
Apparently the armor and helmets of those dead Spartans are all randomized. You saw an EOD, but I definitely saw the type Jun wears. Oh well. I guess Jun does survive.
#39 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Emile isn't dead, he just made it appear as though he was dead so that the enemy would take him back to the Covenant base and attempt to reverse engineer his armor in an attempt to find a fatal flaw in the UNSC's technology.  

That is when he would strike.  

He awoke aboard what seemed to be the interior  of a Phantom, no doubt  leaving the ruined world of Reach. First he took out the two Elites in the lab he was being kept in. They weren't were researchers, so he took them out easily by tackling the first, breaking its spine, and then pulling the Plasma Pistol it had on it and delivering a charged shot directly to the second Elite's skull, burning through the thick bone and vaporizing the frontal lobes. From there he took a few seconds to gather supplies, a Magnum they had taken off his body and the Energy Sword he had been stabbed with previously. He then made his way through the first corridor leading out of the research wing. He encountered three Grunts and a Jackal. Four bullets, four kills. He quickly located the command deck and blasted his way through the mechanical doors using a Plasma Grenade he had picked off of the previously downed Grunts. He then tossed his remaining two grenades into the room itself, taking the large group of Elites manning the various consoles by surprise. The explosion took out three targets and severely damaged one of the flight control mechanisms. As the Phantom took a sudden dip in altitude, he took the chance to rush over to a Plasma Repeater that one of the Elites had dropped. Picking up, he made short work of five more Elites before he was knocked to the ground by the commander of the vessel. A Zealot. As he recovered from the brutal melee attack, Emile looked up to see the Zealot draw a weapon all too familiar to him. An Energy Sword. The Spartan quickly jumped to his feet and drew his own sword as the Zealot took a step back, shocked though a bit pleased by this new development. The two stared each other down for almost a minute as they sized their equal up. The Zealot was the first to strike. Lunging with his back legs, the Sangheili warrior took off with his blade pointed directly for the Spartan's midsection. Emile rolled to the side and delivered a blow of his own, a powerful kick straight to what he could only assume was the alien's rib cage. The Zealot flinched for but a mere millisecond, but it was enough for Emile to strike. He plunged the blade deeply into creature's back as it released a bloodcurdling scream. He quickly retracted as a bright flash of light indicated that the weapon had met its mark. He had fought these terrifying monsters before, and he knew that what would be a fatal blow for any human man was just a shot in the foot to this xeno-solider. The Zealot quickly got back on it's feet, and instantly it was back on the offense. He took another swing at Emile, but it would not make the same mistake again. As the nimble Spartan slipped pasted the initial assault, the Elite quickly spun around and struck horizontally at his enemy's neck. Emile swiftly used his own sword to block what would have been a fatal blow, locking blades with the Zealot. Once again the two stared each other down. As Emile looked into the pitted eyes of his aggresor he felt as though he shared a moment of understanding with the alien. "What are you fighting for." That is all he could think of as time seemed to slow to a crawl and the battle seemed to become a precursory snapshot of the galactic struggle about to ensue. Emile said aloud, "Good point," before pulling his Magnum out from his side and delivering a point blank shot to the Zealot's face. He had watched his family die right in front of him, and Six had surely either been killed along with them or been taken off planet to die in another battle. There was no honor in this anymore. This was a war of attrition, and he would take every kill he could get. He slowly lumbered over to the main controls and fumbled with them until the internal power for the ship was shut down. As he flipped on his night vision, he knew that he would only have the blood of his enemies to keep him warm tonight. Emile was never heard from again, but to this day stories are told within the UNSC ranks of a mercenary for hire. A man with a skull painted on his helmet, a single man who took down an entire Covenant fleet singlehandedly. He is known, as Oddball.

#40 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I wouldn't say any of the deaths were the slightest bit impactful or emotional, but Jorge was my favorite.

#41 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -
@Soapy86 said:
" I wouldn't say any of the deaths were the slightest bit impactful or emotional, but Jorge was my favorite. "
I feel exactly the same way. Maybe if we had known these characters for more than just one game their deaths would have more impact emotionally. As it is, they're just a few more Spartans dieing in a long, bloody war.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.