Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo: Combat Evolved

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ptc

I was never a big Halo fan until now.  I absolutely love Reach, even inspired me to read the book by Nylund (great read BTW).  Played part of Halo 2 and all of Halo 3 (neither held my interest for long). 

So, should I try Halo: Combat Evolved?  I see it's only 1200 pts through games on demand.  I really want to know more about the story, so I can read the next Nylund Halo book (First Strike) and not miss any story elements. 

My question: How long does it take to play through and does the gameplay hold up?  If it doesn't, I'll just buy The FLood book which supposedly covers the plot of CE. 

So, play it or read it?   
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

I'd buy it for PC because of online multiplayer. I haven't played it in a long time but it's Reach without semi-regenerating hp.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By conker
    @ptc:
    Dude. Halo: Combat Evolved. Buy one. Buy TWO! Thats an order soldier. 

Virtual Cookie for who knows who said that!
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think the core gameplay of Halo: Combat Evolved still holds up well but I can't guarantee if you will, you didn't like Halo 2 and 3 so maybe the core gameplay of the games is not what interests you. I can't give you an exact figure for the average play-through time of the game but rest assured, although the campaign is a good length I wouldn't say it's longer than most Halo campaigns. If you just want the story then you could read The Flood although I get the impression most Halo fans consider The Flood a rather poor adaptation of the game. Still, you do seem to be very interested and if you have the 1200 points then I say go for it and try it out, I can't guarantee you'll like it without knowing exactly what you like about Reach but from an objective standpoint (if there is such a thing) I'd say most people wouldn't consider the game too out-dated. Even you find the game is not for you and don't want to read the book you could always quickly brush up on the plot at Halopedia. Suffice to say Combat Evolved/The Flood does act as a pretty essential bridge in the story to know what's going on at the start of First Strike.

EDIT: @Conker: That would be Sgt. Johnson.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By conker
    @Gamer_152:
    +1 Virtual Cookie
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I can't speak for everyone, but I think Halo CE still plays fantastically.  It doesn't feel "old" like alot of games do.  I have played current generation games that I felt played "older" than Halo CE does.  It doesn't look to shabby either because of the art design.   

As for length, probably 8-10 hours.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cegoraph

Certainly, it's considered by many fans to have the best campaign and story within the series. When you do get the chance to play it, play it on the Heroic difficulty first. The game is filled with dazzling set-pieces, mission variety, superbly paced vehicle segments, excellent enemy A.I., and vast outdoor levels. 

The game does have it's flaws though. The indoor levels are mostly copy-and-pasted throughout, and The Library is one of the most mind numbing experiences I'v had in a video game. But the gameplay makes up for those flaws. 

It also has the best pistol in video gaming ever.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jasta

Its dirt cheap for PC, might aswell. 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Djeffers03

The controls in halo CE are still better than a lot of games that come out now. The game holds up awesomely, it's one of the only old games that I go back and play again and again. Be sure to play in co-op, it's unbelievably fun.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @ptc: I fucking love reach, but Halo:CE is still the best. It has incredible atmosphere, spot on pacing(except for 30 mins in the library), amazing story. But i would recommend the pc version, as the mp is still active, and it looks way better.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ch13696

Wait a sec. It's $15 for that game? That's a lot for a game that did not age well. 

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cegoraph
    @ch13696 said:

" Wait a sec. It's $15 for that game? That's a lot for a game that did not age well.  "

I know. I mean, it's dynamic A.I., sandbox combat, smooth scripting, and vehicular combat, doesn't hold a candle compared to the jdozens of military, "aim down your sights" shooters where all you do is shoot through wave after wave of brainless baddies from one overly-scripted set-piece to another. Halo is so generic compared to those games. I mean colors? Pfft, what games need that anymore?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ch13696
    @Cegoraph said:
    " @ch13696 said:

" Wait a sec. It's $15 for that game? That's a lot for a game that did not age well.  "

I know. I mean, it's dynamic A.I., sandbox combat, smooth scripting, and vehicular combat, doesn't hold a candle compared to the jdozens of military, "aim down your sights" shooters where all you do is shoot through wave after wave of brainless baddies from one overly-scripted set-piece to another. Halo is so generic compared to those games. I mean colors? Pfft, what games need that anymore? "
    Ok, so let me rephrase that. For a game with no multiplayer and the only replay value is trying other difficulties, it's not worth the $15. Like most people are saying, get the PC version.
    Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cegoraph
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Cegoraph said:
    " @ch13696 said:

I know. I mean, it's dynamic A.I., sandbox combat, smooth scripting, and vehicular combat, doesn't hold a candle compared to the jdozens of military, "aim down your sights" shooters where all you do is shoot through wave after wave of brainless baddies from one overly-scripted set-piece to another. Halo is so generic compared to those games. I mean colors? Pfft, what games need that anymore? "
    Ok, so let me rephrase that. For a game with no multiplayer and the only replay value is trying other difficulties, it's not worth the $15. Like most people are saying, get the PC version. "
    Have you ever played split-screen on GoldenEye with your friends? Have you ever heard of the phrase "co-op" or "lan-parties"?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ch13696
    @Cegoraph said:

" @ch13696 said:

" @Cegoraph said:
    " @ch13696 said:

Ok, so let me rephrase that. For a game with no multiplayer and the only replay value is trying other difficulties, it's not worth the $15. Like most people are saying, get the PC version. "
    Have you ever played split-screen on GoldenEye with your friends? Have you ever heard of the phrase "co-op" or "lan-parties"? "
    Ok fine. You win. But, can you even do that with the version on 360? I haven't seen or heard about anyone trying that. If you can't, then do you think it's still worth it? 

EDIT: I'm pretty positive split-screen will work, but not sure about the other modes.
    Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cegoraph
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Cegoraph said:

" @ch13696 said:

" @Cegoraph said:
    " @ch13696 said:

Have you ever played split-screen on GoldenEye with your friends? Have you ever heard of the phrase "co-op" or "lan-parties"? "
    Ok fine. You win. But, can you even do that with the version on 360? I haven't seen or heard about anyone trying that. If you can't, then do you think it's still worth it?  EDIT: I'm pretty positive split-screen will work, but not sure about the other modes. "
    I'm not sure about lan-parties, but I wouldn't recommend buying the CD copy of the game. Despite enhanced HD visuals, Halo: CE has more framerate problems than Halo: Reach on the Xbox360. Of course, the best solution would be buying the game off from XboxLive.
    eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By eliminator

Halo CE was actually a great and  memorable game for me, even tho there are far better FPS.You should get it.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Fosssil
    @ptc: You can find it cheaper than $15, but even at that price it's well worth it. Definitely the best game in the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.