Halo Reach beta

#1 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -

What did everybody think of the beta I was gone when it came out did I miss a lot?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@laser56 said:
" What did everybody think of the beta I was gone when it came out did I miss a lot? "
It was a halo beta. It had the same " Wow" as the halo 3 beta. Nothing widely different other then how big the elites where. 
#3 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1229 posts) -

Grenades were WAY overpowered. 

#4 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling: Really? thats not good.
#5 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling said:
" Grenades were WAY overpowered.  "
That they were. It was basically impossible to actually have a shoot out with people, because it was useless, 90% of my deaths came from grenades.
#6 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling said:
" Grenades were WAY overpowered.  "
Grenades rained death.
#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

Some understandable issues here and there but overall some great Halo gameplay with well-designed maps and a few new things to mix things up a little.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I loved the new additions, armor abilities worked great, but the grenades....THE GRENADES I TELLS YA

If the beta was any indication how good Reach will be...that just scares me...
Can't bloody wait!

#9 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -

What kinds of grenades are there just frag and plasma?

#10 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1229 posts) -

The new Stockpile gametype was a mess:  team mates could pick up the flags you deposited and get the points for their capture, and several occasions I had a team mate in cahoots with the enemy and would take our flags and walk them over to their base, but we couldn't stop them because you'd get kicked for betrayal. 

#11 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling: Not good hope that gets fixed.
#12 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

The beta was good.  And yes, grenades were annoying as hell. The narrow corridors on that one map didn't help any.  I basically resorted to using armor lock every time a grenade was thrown at me. It worked nearly 80 percent of the time. Still it was a huge improvement over Halo 3 despite grenades.

#13 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1229 posts) -
@laser56 said:
" What kinds of grenades are there just frag and plasma? "
Yup, huzzah! No more dumb spikes and firebombs! But if I remember correctly, you're still limited to two of each type, however, certain loadouts will allow you to spawn with three or four grenades, but you can't pick up more than two after you use them. 

Also I think the Stockpile issues were resolved during the beta. 
#14 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2169 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling said:

" The new Stockpile gametype was a mess:  team mates could pick up the flags you deposited and get the points for their capture, and several occasions I had a team mate in cahoots with the enemy and would take our flags and walk them over to their base, but we couldn't stop them because you'd get kicked for betrayal.  "

They fixed all that. 

Edit: NVM
#15 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@laser56: Don't worry bungie have stated the grenades have been patched for the Retail game. Huzzzah a beta used for actually testing things!
#16 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Honestly, I really was pretty disappointed with the beta. Amazon still suckered me into preordering it, though. I can't help it. I'm a big Halo fan.

#17 Posted by Fjordson (2453 posts) -

Best Halo multiplayer experience I've had with the series. It was great.

As far as the grenades, they will perform differently at retail from how they performed in the beta.

#18 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

It definitely looks like grenades were toned down.

#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I didn't like the loadouts.

#20 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Does anyone know if they bumped up the power of the assault rifle? That thing was useless in the beta.

#21 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" Does anyone know if they bumped up the power of the assault rifle? That thing was useless in the beta. "
That it was.  A full clip into a person and their shields wouldn't even be down.
#22 Posted by BrilliantLoser (33 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" Does anyone know if they bumped up the power of the assault rifle? That thing was useless in the beta. "
Yeah they said they strengthened it slightly, but it's really hard to tell how much from the videos I've seen.
#23 Posted by Kut_U_Up (52 posts) -

If you want you can watch the giant bomb TNT of the beta, that should give you a good idea of what you missed. 

when i first played i really hated the beta, but as i played more i started to learn how to use the loadouts in certain situations and i started to like the beta a lot. theres still some balancing issues that could be done (power lock) but i trust bungie listened to the community and balanced it

#24 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -

How was the DMR compared to the BR?

#25 Posted by KyleDaniels (75 posts) -

Lol everyone should stop complaining about the grenades. They might have had a larger damage/explosion radius (like actual grenades hummm?) but they weren't the scourge everyone is making them out to be. Beta was kick-ass as always and I can't wait for it to drop.

#26 Posted by Rawrz (598 posts) -
@laser56: The DMR was great. Its pretty much the BR but single shot instead of burst which I found better. The bloom effect on the weapon was cool since it prevented you from just spamming the trigger and learn to pace your shots.
#27 Posted by laser56 (54 posts) -
@KyleDaniels: cool thanks man :)
#28 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

How do the armor abilities affect the gameplay of Halo? I've never really enjoyed Halo's multiplayer. I don't like the floatiness and slow movement, but do things like sprint and jetpacks feel like it gives the characters more mobility?

#29 Posted by Rawrz (598 posts) -
@Bigrhyno:  Armor abilities add a lot and adds a new depth to the gameplay. Sprint was useful at well getting places faster as well as escaping danger since if you accidentally came across multiple enemies instead of just being screwed you can turn and run and actually stand a chance of escaping. Jetpacks were useful for getting to higher places faster as well as making a quick power weapon rush at the beginning of the match. Armor lock was good at protecting from grenades and deflecting rockets. Also that floatiness you dont like has been reduced a bit.
#30 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
Yeah they did. 

OT: I though it was excellent, grenades have been fixed, Stockpile has been fixed.  Hopefully they moved the stockpile position on Swordbase, because it was pretty imbalanced. 
#31 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -
@KyleDaniels: But they were overpowered, as bungie found out that #1,#2 Tools of Destruction for the entirety of the beta were Melee, and Grenades.
#32 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling: Girl in ur Profile? Who is she?
#33 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

Grenades worked in the beta, they weren't as OP as everyone complained, they just weren't underpowered anymore.
 I never had trouble with the AR, but if they beefed it up, I'm all for it.

I seem to have the opposite opinion of most of the thread. I really enjoyed the beta, and I really preferred the changes, mostly. I didn't like the look of the grenades, seemed a bit silly being so big, but I loved that they were actually useful. I found myself saving them, rather than throwing them madly through the air.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.