Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo: Reach BETA discussion.

• 57 results
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Alright, so I started this topic as a way for people to discuss their opinions on the Reach BETA. I think it comes out in 1 hour 20 minutes?

I personally am very anxious to see how spartans vs. elites balance out.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

I think it will be a bit of a wait for the beta....  I don't think it will be released at noon.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By themartyr

You are selling me the earliest time I have seen so far for this. Where did you hear it? I cannot wait to play it, and I don't think it's going to work out well given the time it'll be hitting over here in the UK. 
    As for beta-related hopes, I am looking forward to trying out the jetpacks, but then who isn't?

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Kyreo said:
    " I think it will be a bit of a wait for the beta....  I don't think it will be released at noon. "
    I heard it will be released at like 8pm in the UK? Whatever... 

STILL! this thread will be here after the BETA goes live, then we can see all the chit-chat. 
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By themartyr
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    "   STILL! this thread will be here after the BETA goes live, then we can see all the chit-chat.  "
    True story. I'm looking forward to it. Where are you btw? It's 4 hours and 13 minutes until 8pm in the UK.
    nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By nobull6

Yeah, I'm thinking we've got another four hours or so until the beta. Looking forward to some of the objective game types. I wonder when they'll release Invasion, since I don't think it's part of the initial offering.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @themartyr said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    "   STILL! this thread will be here after the BETA goes live, then we can see all the chit-chat.  "
    True story. I'm looking forward to it. Where are you btw? It's 4 hours and 13 minutes until 8pm in the UK. "
    Oh, I did not know that. 

I'm in the eastern United States.
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themartyr
    @nobull6: I think Invasion is out today, it just wasn't in the closed beta last week. 
    @AlwaysAngry: You are a lucky guy. East Coast is good, unless it's Maine...
    J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By J0n3s1

I probably can't play it today because it's coming out so late :( (I live in Finland)

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Revival time! 

Be sure to discuss, I'm downloading it now!!!

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Discuss.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Baillie

I'll discuss when it starts working again.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Sitoxity

The Needle Rifle is my new best friend.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Novyx

Finally getting into a Halo game, so there's that. Liking a lot of it, and finally getting past a lot of my old frustrations. Still getting used to the shields again. Only glaring balance issue is the plasma launcher on Swordbase. Too accurate a lock-on.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainObvious

In the words of Agent York... 

Amazing. Yes.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By evanbrau

Loving it so far and am actually ok at it, which is an achievement for me considering its a Halo game. The armour abilities are pretty cool and none of them are overpowered or unfair. How do you get into these Eltie deatmatch games people have been posting clips and stuff of.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sitoxity
    @evanbrau:  Vote for "Covie Slayer" when you see it in the Voting system.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Sitoxity: That's why the voting system sucks. Everybody just does Team Slayer on Powerhouse.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voting systems always suck. I much prefer the traditional playlist system where you choose what mode you want to play. It ruined Gears 2, I'll be sad if it ruins this.  

So far I have plaed 3 games and it's been pretty fun, it feels like the small changes made have really added a new depth to the old formula.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gunstar

All I seem to see while I'm playing is "gunst4r was killed by grenades"
    Banky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Banky

Loving the beta after a few games. The armor abilities change up the formula just enough to make it feel like a true progression in the series. A few of the abilities and weapon still need to be balanced, but that's why they're running this beta. It's lived up to my expectations and I can't wait to play more tonight.
    gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gunstar

My last response was kind of cynical but I am overall pretty impressed.

One of my favorite moments that I've replicated a few times is I'll be getting double teamed or something and I'll go into armor lock. These mooks always seem to want to stare at me until I come out and my teammates come over and wedgie everyone.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sitoxity

Just finished my first game of Juggernaut in Reach. It's fun and works MUCH better than Halo 3's version. Apart from the one guy saying "Only retards play Halo that's for sure" even though he, himself, is playing Halo.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Covy Slayer is fun, with all them elites jumping around "Ruugh! Ruugh!".

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By danguy

The Beta is great. But the controls are confusing with Halo 3.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nail1080
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Alright, so I started this topic as a way for people to discuss their opinions on the Reach BETA. I think it comes out in 1 hour 20 minutes?  I personally am very anxious to see how spartans vs. elites balance out. "
    well considering you thought FO3 was too hard I have no idea how you cope with online games...
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Seppli

I'm no friend of classic Halo gameplay. Looking forward to testing Invasion though.

• I don't like unnatural maze-like maps. (Halo : Reach - check)
    • I don't like weapon spawn pickups. (Halo : Reach - check)

I just don't get the appeal of arena shooters with weapons spawns. These kind of games require skills like 'learn the layout of the non-sensical maze' and 'know where to pickup the unbalanced weapons' - instead of common sense. It can be fun - certainly. Heck these style of shooters is how online multiplayer shooters started off 15 years back. It just ain't for me anymore. Halo : Reach's current playlist feels outdated and boring. Can't wait for Invasion though. Really looking forward to how it matches up with BF:BC 2's Rush mode. Not that it has any chance of surpassing it obviously (with it's outdated tech, static levels, severely unbalanced weaponry and low playercount), but I'm curious if it brings something worthwhile to the table of objective based team shooters.

Halo : Reach is OG. I'm over it though. Nontheless - Invasion might spark my interest.
    Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raiden36O
    Ive been enjoying it.

However, ive Had quite a few moments where ive felt like people were taking too many bullets to drop, especially when using the assault rifle, but its been awhile since i played a halo game so maybe i just suck.

Also, Sprint and jet pack seem pretty useless, and Ive been using Guard pretty cheaply. You can throw a grenade as soon as you get out of it and kill the guy who almost certainly would have destroyed you. Its been quite amusing for me as ive been able to cheat death alot but i think its unbalanced compared to scout and jet pack (i havent really used stealth too much).
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demyx

Overall I've played like 7 games, friends playing more. I had a lot of fun with it.

ooofafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ooofafa
    @Jiujitsuka:  the elites are so damn funny
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By veektarius

A little bit of a shortage of maps in this beta and I don't care all that much for sword tower - it's a bit spread out for anything other than CTF, though CTF in it is pretty cool.  The problem is the map voting system, which casts everyone's vote for the default map.  A lot of people seem not to understand that they have to exercise their own will to get what they want.   Oh, and grenades, a little too powerful.

Regarding Invasion/Generators, those modes aren't released until later in the beta.  I'm not sure exactly why.  

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scroll

Vote Covy slayer every time it comes up because it is awesome.

Thanks

Lots of love 

Scroll

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By killer_meatballs

I had fun with it.  Sucked at it, but still had fun. New to Halo.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Bones8677

I find it quite insulting that sprinting is its own "class."  You're going to equate sprinting with Jetpacks?   Any other game it's available to everyone. Plus the cooldown seems longer than it is to actually sprint. Really Bungie?

That's a ripoff to choose between the two. If you're going to make sprinting it's own load out, make it an insane amount of speed for a good amount of time. With a smaller cooldown, sprinting doesn't give someone THAT much of an edge. Especially when people have jetpacks, and can just fly away...

Also  I don't like how you don't hold down the button to sprint, again, every game does that. You know how Yahtzee complains when developers mis-use the second analog stick? This is the same thing. "Everyone make's their submarine out of metal, let's make ours out of bread!"

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Bones8677

Also, I never played Oddball before, but having the game announcer say,

Ball dropped
    Ball picked up
    Ball dropped
    Ball picked up
    Ball dropped
    Ball picked up
    over and over and over again...

FOR TEN FREAKIN' MINUTES!!

I don't like it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crunchUK
    @Bones8677 said:
    " I find it quite insulting that sprinting is its own "class."  You're going to equate sprinting with Jetpacks?   Any other game it's available to everyone. Plus the cooldown seems longer than it is to actually sprint. Really Bungie?  That's a ripoff to choose between the two. If you're going to make sprinting it's own load out, make it an insane amount of speed for a good amount of time. With a smaller cooldown, sprinting doesn't give someone THAT much of an edge. Especially when people have jetpacks, and can just fly away...  Also  I don't like how you don't hold down the button to sprint, again, every game does that. You know how Yahtzee complains when developers mis-use the second analog stick? This is the same thing. "Everyone make's their submarine out of metal, let's make ours out of bread!" "
    And yet, sprinting is easily the most viable option in the vast majority of objective games?
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dylabaloo

I don't know what everyones complaining about sprint is the best armor ability!!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying it pretty thoroughly so far. Am utterly terrible at it, but I'm still enjoying it. Customizing your Spartan is a welcome addition to the Halo formula, and I think the Loadout stuff is handled pretty well.  

Plasma Grenade Launcher is probably the most unbalanced thing in the beta. Plasma Sword and Shotgun are both kind of ridiculous as well, but not to the extent of the Plasma Grenade Launcher. I both love and hate the reticle for the DMR and the Needle Rifle. It's a fine idea on paper, but snaring headshots with either weapon is a tricky, inconsistent business. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust

I played for a bit today.  I think I visited 3 maps (not sure how many there are) and I liked the open one with the water the best of them.  Also, I hate guys who hide in corners with the hammer.  I still suck with sniper rifles but at least this beta there isn't a preset for "shotguns & snipers".  I didn't use the jet pack yet, but I like the cloak.  It won't really cover you, but if someone isn't looking directly at you when you move, you could move by without drawing their attention.  I played team slayer, CTF and the CTF where you run around and pick up all the flags you can find.  I had a reasonably good time.  When I started, I was creamed by everyone however over time, the game realized I suck and so it matched me up against others who suck.  I never did well, and usually there was 1 guy on each team who dominated, but the rest of us hangers-on were able to score some kills or bring home some flags.  And, I also realized I might as well not even have a mic for all the conversation that went on.  I'm not chatty, never have been, but except for a kid who asked "is anyone there?" I didn't hear any talking.  I'm not complaining, but it was a little odd.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am having a little trouble remembering the new button layout.  I know with more practice it will be easier, but I'd have preferred the ability to complete reconfigure it to something more familiar to me.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai

Really enjoying it but grenades are way too good.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Bones8677 said:
    " I find it quite insulting that sprinting is its own "class."  You're going to equate sprinting with Jetpacks?   Any other game it's available to everyone. Plus the cooldown seems longer than it is to actually sprint. Really Bungie?  That's a ripoff to choose between the two. If you're going to make sprinting it's own load out, make it an insane amount of speed for a good amount of time. With a smaller cooldown, sprinting doesn't give someone THAT much of an edge. Especially when people have jetpacks, and can just fly away...  Also  I don't like how you don't hold down the button to sprint, again, every game does that. You know how Yahtzee complains when developers mis-use the second analog stick? This is the same thing. "Everyone make's their submarine out of metal, let's make ours out of bread!" "
    I agree.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I am almost 100% certain that it's using the same engine as Halo 3. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DystopiaX
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" @Bones8677 said:

I agree. "
    Again, I think sprint is better than Jetpack. 
    edit- because Jetpack makes you a huge target, and you can get everywhere without it anyway. Sprint gets you to power weapons first on all maps, as well as helps you leave battles (which jetpack doesn't do, since you're STILL a huge target), and flank people (pop up one way, and run all the way around them when they're still preparing for your second rush).
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Covie slayer. :)

Sprint jumping is a bit too much.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

Fuck Headhunter

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thejamster

i absolutely love the beta and any problems i have had i took to the bungie site to tell them about it

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Burns09

Liking the beta so far, all except for the plasma launcher. They need to remove the lock-on from that weapon, or at least nerf it. Other than that no real complaints with the game, although there are a few things I wish they would have done differently in this game but at this point in development theirs no chance.

Wickstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wickstrom

I am extremely impressed with the beta. I've always bought previous Halo games, but could never keep interest in the multiplayer for long. Online quickly became repetitive and boring. So far this beta is awesome! 

The graphical improvement from ODST to Reach is outstanding, and the gameplay is much improved. I love how the beatdowns are much less powerful than in the past, and I think the addition of the new special abilities such as sprint, cloak, and jetpack add a new, fun element to the game. The maps in the beta are very well laid out as well. 

I love everything about the beta, and can't wait until reach finally comes out later this year!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I'm not liking it.
    too samey, and grenades as allways with a bungie product are insanely overpowered at first they will gimp them later I can't figure out why they don't get it right from the start.
    I'm not liking the health mechanic at all.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Fosssil
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " I'm not liking it. too samey, and grenades as allways with a bungie product are insanely overpowered at first they will gimp them later I can't figure out why they don't get it right from the start. I'm not liking the health mechanic at all. "
    Grenades haven't been this strong since Halo 1. Halo 2 grenades were like water balloons until the 1.1 patch, and the grenades in Halo 3 are not much better than pre-patch H2. The problem isn't that the grenades are powerful, it's that they arm on the first bounce and Spartans move incredibly slowly when not sprinting. The strength of the grenades is fine; the lack of player options to evade them is the real problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.