Halo: Reach Co-Op Requires A 360 Hard Drive To Play

• 89 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

You'd figure Microsoft's continued refusal to make hard drives a standard element in all Xbox 360s would mean that no disc-based game could require physical storage. That's been proven untrue before, and the latest outlier to require storage might be the biggest one yet. Halo: Reach, according to the game's FAQ page, requires a hard drive for several online aspects, including the game's co-op component, one of Reach's sharpest and most entertaining features. 

Nukezilla was first to point out the flaw and display Microsoft's official FAQ, which confirms the fact that this content in the game is locked out for those without HDDs:

Question: The error "One or more players do not have an Xbox 360 Hard Drive. An Xbox 360 Hard Drive is required to play co-op on Xbox LIVE or system link" occurs when I try to play. Why?

Answer: One or more players do not have a certified Xbox 360 hard drive attached to their Xbox 360 console. Some multiplayer aspects of Halo: Reach require an Xbox 360 certified hard drive.

As Nukezilla points out, this news is a huge bummer for anyone who might have just purchased a new 4GB Xbox 360 S (which has no hard drive). Reach can't access that scant amount of onboard memory, nor a large USB stick or other external device. It seems the only way out of this particular jam fast is to purchase one of Microsoft's newly announced $130 250GB slim hard drives. But it's important to note that Microsoft is aware of this limitation and is working on some sort of fix. "We are aware of the issue and are quickly working to resolve it," Microsoft said in a recent statement given to Eurogamer.     
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

You'd figure Microsoft's continued refusal to make hard drives a standard element in all Xbox 360s would mean that no disc-based game could require physical storage. That's been proven untrue before, and the latest outlier to require storage might be the biggest one yet. Halo: Reach, according to the game's FAQ page, requires a hard drive for several online aspects, including the game's co-op component, one of Reach's sharpest and most entertaining features. 

Nukezilla was first to point out the flaw and display Microsoft's official FAQ, which confirms the fact that this content in the game is locked out for those without HDDs:

Question: The error "One or more players do not have an Xbox 360 Hard Drive. An Xbox 360 Hard Drive is required to play co-op on Xbox LIVE or system link" occurs when I try to play. Why?

Answer: One or more players do not have a certified Xbox 360 hard drive attached to their Xbox 360 console. Some multiplayer aspects of Halo: Reach require an Xbox 360 certified hard drive.

As Nukezilla points out, this news is a huge bummer for anyone who might have just purchased a new 4GB Xbox 360 S (which has no hard drive). Reach can't access that scant amount of onboard memory, nor a large USB stick or other external device. It seems the only way out of this particular jam fast is to purchase one of Microsoft's newly announced $130 250GB slim hard drives. But it's important to note that Microsoft is aware of this limitation and is working on some sort of fix. "We are aware of the issue and are quickly working to resolve it," Microsoft said in a recent statement given to Eurogamer.     
#2 Posted by Xichro (11 posts) -

Win!

#3 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

wow

#4 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

It should be illegal to charge that much for a 250 GB hard drive.

#5 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I was JUST about to post on the forum about this.

#6 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

Shouldn't this be on the back of the box or something? I thought they straight up told you in colour coating that a hard drive would be required for certain aspects of a game.

#7 Posted by Koobz (380 posts) -
@Blueman said:
" It should be illegal to charge that much for a 250 GB hard drive. "
Yo, seriously.  That's the most outrageous part about this whole article.  I just bought a new pocket-size 1TB drive from a name-brand manufacturer for $110.
#8 Edited by heathkidd@gmail.com (3 posts) -

WHy ... could some one please tell me WHy 

why does the game have to use a HDD for coop? 

the only reason i can think is that it needs to uncompress some of the disk image and dump it to HDD... but then what the hell? why doesn't that effect 1 player campaign as well.. ??/ hmmm hmmm

i can kinda understand this for multiplayer as the maps might be super compressed and you have to uncompress it abit and dump it some where.. but seriously? 

so if your HDD is full you cant play halo reach? or does the xbox automatically create its own page file or some thing.. regardless of HDD size/ fullness. 

You know what.. .. this is it.. not perchaing Reach because of this.. im sick of them sqweezing the juice out of these machines and making them install and stuff... console gaming has so many limitations already.. to have this kinda Media limitation.. is just over the line for me.. 

im going to go Find a Halo1 CDkey instead.... the macintosh version..

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Hey dude who just bought a new 360 S 4gig.  Oh, you like Halo: Reach co-op?  Here, buy this 250gig $130 hard drive!

#10 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

This is the mess that the whole needing a Hard Drive to use Xbox Live thing has devolved into. Yay. Isn't the only size you can get for that 360 250GB?

#11 Posted by Milkman (16647 posts) -

Seriously, if you don't have a hard drive, what the hell are you doing?

#12 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Well, that's a bullshit move.

#13 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

So no floppy disks?

#14 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

I feel bad for those people, but at the same time, an Xbox 360 without a hard drive is really, really bad.

#15 Posted by killer_meatballs (460 posts) -

That sucks.

#16 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@Milkman said:

"Seriously, if you don't have a hard drive, what the hell are you doing? "

Wait for the fix, which hopefuly doesn't resort to buying that 130 Dollars HDD of a ripoff.

Maybe as the development of the game went on they found out that this is the only way to make Co-Op playble. Stupid move from Bungie.
#17 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -

at least they may allow people to not use hds. but idk if microsoft would wanna miss out on potential sales.

#18 Posted by Gringor (13 posts) -

nice

#19 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -
@Milkman said:

" Seriously, if you don't have a hard drive, what the hell are you doing? "

If Microsoft is going to sell a 360 sku without a hard drive, then they need to make it 100% clear on the retail box when a game requires a hard drive to utilize certain features of any given game, especially when it's a 1st party title like a Halo game.

In other news, if you don't have a hard drive, you're obviously buying an XBox 360 (ok, or a Wii).
#20 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

MS got them balls of steel.

#21 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

The ironic part is people who bought the 4gb model and wanna play Reach online will have to pay 30 bucks more than if they had just bought the 250gb slim model from the start.

#22 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

slow news day?

#23 Posted by RageofUtah (9 posts) -

That's awful!

#24 Posted by LoggerRythm (190 posts) -

One minute you can't use Halo on a HD, the next you can't use some functionality without one. 
Damn you Microsoft, you're making my head 'splode!

#25 Posted by MachoFantastico (4613 posts) -

That sucks but probably makes sense when considering the game. But if your looking to play Halo: Reach surely you'd have an HDD?

#26 Posted by RageofUtah (9 posts) -

Micro$oft

#27 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Burnout needed a harddrive as well. 

Stop bitching about Halo. 

Microsoft already said its not suppose to be like this and are tyring to fix it. 

#28 Posted by Zaapp1 (658 posts) -

Well played Microsoft.  Well played indeed.

#29 Posted by OldManLight (839 posts) -

Haha! Microsoft just no scoped their own foot.

#30 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:  This "problem" has existed since ODST. I doubt Microsoft will fix anything.

Upping the drama ante: Class-action lawsuit? 

It means we'll get a settlement of eight dollars twelve years from now!
#31 Posted by TheMartino (136 posts) -
@fedorajay But technically, the 4th model HAS a hard drive. It's just not big enough.
#32 Posted by subrandom (117 posts) -

Im sorta ashamed this is on giantbomb and that it is also omitting the fact that halo 3 and ODST had the same requirement.

#33 Posted by Sergotron (483 posts) -

I remember people worrying back when the 360 first launched that this might happen, Microsoft said it would never come down to that. Even though the game does technically run, this is a huge bummer for people who just want to play games online. There are a lot of people out there who just want to play Halo online. They don't care about downloading stuff. Especially this being such a huge profiled title. This is messed up.

#34 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -
@Blueman said:
" It should be illegal to charge that much for a 250 GB hard drive. "
considering 60gb hdds used to cost like 200$ for the pre-slim models this is a deal
#35 Posted by Radar (887 posts) -

Good. If developers code for the HDDless skus it'll do nothing but limit them.. giving everyone a inferior product. 

#36 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@jim_dandy said:
" @Jeffsekai:  This "problem" has existed since ODST. I doubt Microsoft will fix anything.  Upping the drama ante: Class-action lawsuit?   It means we'll get a settlement of eight dollars twelve years from now! "
Which means Hard Drives are required.  

I don't see a problem.
#37 Posted by Aaron_G (1612 posts) -

That is why you always get a hard drive with your Xbox 360. It saves you some troubles down the road. 

#38 Posted by DryvBy (249 posts) -

Lol. Welcome to M$.

#39 Posted by xyzygy (9944 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Seriously, if you don't have a hard drive, what the hell are you doing? "
Lol, this. 
#40 Posted by MichaelBach (879 posts) -

Bummer :(  I feel for the guys who have to dish out 130 bucks extra to play some co-op.

#41 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -
@Jeffsekai:  You're being deliberately obtuse.

EIther way, it's mentioned nowhere on the box that a HDD is required, and it doesn't make sense that a large enough flash drive wouldn't be able to work. 
#42 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@jim_dandy said:
" @Jeffsekai:  You're being deliberately obtuse.  EIther way, it's mentioned nowhere on the box that a HDD is required, and it doesn't make sense that a large enough flash drive wouldn't be able to work.  "
Because its flash memory.
#43 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

Is it me, or is this news kinda f*cked up?

#44 Edited by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

Dammit, I've been trolled. XD

@Jeffsekai: u got me

#45 Posted by Vaancor (247 posts) -

And they just NOW get around to announcing this? Kinda lame man.

#46 Posted by Donos (1194 posts) -

According to the back of the Reach box, "Xbox 360 requires up to 256 MB for system updates". Huh. Well.

#47 Posted by MacGoesZoom (75 posts) -

I bought the slim arcade and was planning on having a co-op party this saturday. Hopefully it will be fixed by then... but probably not.
#48 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Why would the game require a HDD?

#49 Posted by thaijedi (139 posts) -
@maskedarcstrike: 
Friend and I had this problem when trying to play Reach. His house got borken into the day before and the only xbox they had in the store was the 4gb Slim so naturally he bought it and now we can't coop!
#50 Posted by dangeruss04@hotmail.com (21 posts) -

how is this a story wasn't this the case with halo 3 as well

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.