Halo: Reach: Final Verdict

Posted by RAmpersaND (107 posts) -

The Good: New weapons, like the Needle Rifle and the Focus Rifle, kick ass. New armor abilities, like the Jet Pack and Armor Lock, kick even more ass. Reach's multi-player offers engaging maps, varied gametypes, and an addictive, challenge-fueled ranking system. Plus, even I have to admit that single-player's Mission V and Mission X (the midpoint and endpoint of the game's campaign, respectively) are entirely memorable.

The Bad: The rest of the single-player campaign is completely forgettable. In short, a half-dozen helmeted soldiers identifiable only by the colors of their uniforms and the diversity of their accents stage a contest in the midst of an alien invasion to see who can die the most laughable death. It's five hours of been-here-done-this padded with (or "punctuated by", if you're feeling generous) a few random vehicle segments like a bare-bones dogfight in space. Mercifully, though, Reach's multi-player has only a few minor flaws, such as the occasional failed host migration and a match-selection voting system that could use a couple of tweaks.

The Stand-out Moment: Soaring into the sky with the aid of a Jet Pack for the first time.

The Final Verdict: 9.0 (out of 10)

#1 Posted by RAmpersaND (107 posts) -

The Good: New weapons, like the Needle Rifle and the Focus Rifle, kick ass. New armor abilities, like the Jet Pack and Armor Lock, kick even more ass. Reach's multi-player offers engaging maps, varied gametypes, and an addictive, challenge-fueled ranking system. Plus, even I have to admit that single-player's Mission V and Mission X (the midpoint and endpoint of the game's campaign, respectively) are entirely memorable.

The Bad: The rest of the single-player campaign is completely forgettable. In short, a half-dozen helmeted soldiers identifiable only by the colors of their uniforms and the diversity of their accents stage a contest in the midst of an alien invasion to see who can die the most laughable death. It's five hours of been-here-done-this padded with (or "punctuated by", if you're feeling generous) a few random vehicle segments like a bare-bones dogfight in space. Mercifully, though, Reach's multi-player has only a few minor flaws, such as the occasional failed host migration and a match-selection voting system that could use a couple of tweaks.

The Stand-out Moment: Soaring into the sky with the aid of a Jet Pack for the first time.

The Final Verdict: 9.0 (out of 10)

#2 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Final Verdict 7/10.

#3 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Disagree with most of that.
#4 Edited by RAmpersaND (107 posts) -
@big_jon: Care to elaborate?
#5 Posted by cuevas (45 posts) -
@RAmpersaND said:
" The Good: New weapons, like the Needle Rifle and the Focus Rifle, kick ass. New armor abilities, like the Jet Pack and Armor Lock, kick even more ass. Reach's multi-player offers engaging maps, varied gametypes, and an addictive, challenge-fueled ranking system. Plus, even I have to admit that single-player's Mission V and Mission X (the midpoint and endpoint of the game's campaign, respectively) are entirely memorable. The Bad: The rest of the single-player campaign is completely forgettable. In short, a half-dozen helmeted soldiers identifiable only by the colors of their uniforms and the diversity of their accents stage a contest in the midst of an alien invasion to see who can die the most laughable death. It's five hours of been-here-done-this padded with (or "punctuated by", if you're feeling generous) a few random vehicle segments like a bare-bones dogfight in space. Mercifully, though, Reach's multi-player has only a few minor flaws, such as the occasional failed host migration and a match-selection voting system that could use a couple of tweaks.  The Stand-out Moment: Soaring into the sky with the aid of a Jet Pack for the first time.  The Final Verdict: 9.0 (out of 10) "
What difficulty did you play it that made it 5 hours long?
#6 Posted by Rockdalf (1275 posts) -
@cuevas said:
" @RAmpersaND said:
" The Good: New weapons, like the Needle Rifle and the Focus Rifle, kick ass. New armor abilities, like the Jet Pack and Armor Lock, kick even more ass. Reach's multi-player offers engaging maps, varied gametypes, and an addictive, challenge-fueled ranking system. Plus, even I have to admit that single-player's Mission V and Mission X (the midpoint and endpoint of the game's campaign, respectively) are entirely memorable. The Bad: The rest of the single-player campaign is completely forgettable. In short, a half-dozen helmeted soldiers identifiable only by the colors of their uniforms and the diversity of their accents stage a contest in the midst of an alien invasion to see who can die the most laughable death. It's five hours of been-here-done-this padded with (or "punctuated by", if you're feeling generous) a few random vehicle segments like a bare-bones dogfight in space. Mercifully, though, Reach's multi-player has only a few minor flaws, such as the occasional failed host migration and a match-selection voting system that could use a couple of tweaks.  The Stand-out Moment: Soaring into the sky with the aid of a Jet Pack for the first time.  The Final Verdict: 9.0 (out of 10) "
What difficulty did you play it that made it 5 hours long? "
To be fair though, higher difficulty just means that you'll be hiding behind cover more often than less.  It doesn't really change the context of the campaign.  I thought it was a little dry myself, but then again, I care about the multiplayer more. 
#7 Edited by RAmpersaND (107 posts) -
@cuevas: Normal.

@Rockdalf: Exactly. The true fun and the true challenge are both located online!
#8 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@RAmpersaND said:

@Rockdalf: Exactly. The true fun and the true challenge are both located online! "
I respectfully disagree.
#9 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Final veredict 9/10..   still after 10 years of Halo im done with it, i haven´t touch it the last couple of weeks 

tyred of the same old basic game mechanics, you can´t change that.. nothing wrong with the game Im just burn of it. 

#10 Posted by RAmpersaND (107 posts) -
@DonPixel: Bungie shook up the playlists a couple of days ago, so the game might be worth one more shot!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.