Halo Reach map packs, how do they work?

#1 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Alright, so I'm going to be buying Halo Reach as I just finally re-bought an Xbox, and I'm wondering how the maps packs work... As far as I could tell in Halo 3/ODST, to play certain (several) of the modes in online matchmaking, you had to have all the DLC maps that had been released. Is it still like this? Will half of the modes in matchmaking be locked out until I buy the maps? If I buy Halo CE Anniversary, does it come with all of the maps, or just the newest map pack?

#2 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Halo CE A only comes with the newest maps. You can still play almost all of the playlists without having any of the maps.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Like magnets?

#4 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass: Awesome, this is great news. I hated that I had to buy all the map packs to play with my friends in Halo 3. Thanks a lot!

#5 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: That's what I was going for :P

#6 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Only playlist you need to have specific maps to play in now is the Anniversary playlist. They removed the DLC specific playlist in the latest playlist update.

#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Rawrz said:

Only playlist you need to have specific maps to play in now is the Anniversary playlist. They removed the DLC specific playlist in the latest playlist update.

Even better news! Thanks a bunch, dude!

#8 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

@xobballox: Haha yeah no problem. Reach has probably handled the whole DLC stuff the best and now supposedly those who have the maps get matched with others who do more frequently so the whole premium playlist stuff got taken out.

#9 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1553 posts) -

As someone who still plays Reach on a consistent basis, the way that Reach now handles DLC maps is kind of terrible. There is an entire section dedicated to the Anniversary maps, so you're covered there. But in regards to the Noble and Defiant map packs, you're basically going to run into these maps once out of 20-30 games on the regular playlists. The removal of the Premium DLC playlist has removed the only way to guarantee you'll play on DLC maps and as there are now "Defiant Achievements" that require you to be on Defiant maps to complete, it's nigh impossible to get them as your chances of getting in a game on those maps and then actually completing that task are near impossible.

#10 Posted by mac_n_nina (272 posts) -

They need to make map packs required because the way the handle the playlists for DLC makes the DLC pretty much worthless.

#11 Posted by davidinwrofy (71 posts) -

@Captain_Felafel: I can confirm this. It is very annoying because I paid 1600 points in total for Defiant and Noble and I hardly ever get to play them. They're doing a much better job with Anniversary but what they need is a playlist that requires all DLC, like Halo 3 had towards the end. Some DLC discounts would go a long way to ensuring everyone has them.

#12 Posted by CanadianWoodcock (6 posts) -

Don't buy the Defiant or Noble map packs; they're useless. If you like old Halo maps, go ahead and buy the Anniversary map pack, because it really is quite good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.