Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Holy crap, Firefight

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

Today's update included a major overhaul for Firefight. Instead of just one round lasting 6-7 minutes, you play an entire set of 3 rounds + a bonus round. A single game can take over 20 minutes now. I was playing it earlier today and it was exhausting! But I got 4000 credits, with over 1000 credits from working towards Commendations. Seems like this might be a pretty good way to level up, even though it takes a while. Anyone else try it out? What do you think?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Nice! I saw it on Bungie's site but I haven't tested it yet. Going to try it after I get some sleep, it's 01:47 o'clock in the morning here. :)

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By fripplebubby

That's nothing. The achievements in ODST took me about 2 hours a map.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By EightBitShik
    @natetodamax:  Wow! I did not know that I"ll have to tell my roommate when he gets home so we can play. I have been doing Legendary Campaign ever since I got home so I haven't seen the update. Thanks.  

If you ever want to run anything let me know I"m going to send you a friend request. I prefer to play with Bombers then strangers.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By ReyGitano

I feel like this is how firefight in matchmaking should have been from the start. Maybe they started them shorter to help ease people into it? 
    Either way, I couldn't be happier.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @SlashseveN303 said:
    " I feel like this is how firefight in matchmaking should have been from the start. Maybe they started them shorter to help ease people into it? Either way, I couldn't be happier. "
    Firefight Matchmaking was insanely laggy for a short while after the game came out. It's probably a good thing the matches were short.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I had no idea about the update. I thought Matchmaking was broken and taking me to custom games.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
    @Axxol said:
    " I had no idea about the update. I thought Matchmaking was broken and taking me to custom games. "
    It was a hidden update so that's understandable.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By pweidman

Wow!  Awesome news tc.  I had no idea they were changing Firefight.  It needed it bad, so that type of change sounds very nice for me.  I just couldn't believe they set it up to be so short and too easy as it took away the awesome tension of surviving each wave, round, and set from the ODST FF set-up, which I loved, especially the achieves for @ lvl for hitting 200k.  A step in the right direction, and now Bungie needs to allow more credits to be earned when people play classic, and any custom match anyone sets up.  I just don't get Bungie's obcessive concern for credits earned...it could have been managed so much better by simply extending ranks, and/or  credits needed to get to each one, instead of setting daily limits and excluding custom match credit earning, in FF especially.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano
    @natetodamax: I forgot about that early lag, but I didn't get a lot of it. There was just one game were I noticed something was wrong, so I just pressed forward on my stick, only to see my character move forward a few seconds later... yeah.
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EightBitShik

Well it must of been how they planned to do it because did you ever noticed when you finished a firefight it said par 50,000 now way in hell you could do that before. 

*** But how are you supposed to beat it without dying now O_o

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Fosssil

I played a match of Sniperfight with some friends today to get the daily challenge for Firefight kills, and it is much more fun to play a full set even if it is more time consuming. Though, my bonus round was nothing but Hunters, so that part was lame. I'm more interested in playing today's other new addition, Team Snipers, but I might jump into Firefight more often now that they've made it more tolerable.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By natetodamax
    @Fosssil said:
    " I played a match of Sniperfight with some friends today to get the daily challenge for Firefight kills, and it is much more fun to play a full set even if it is more time consuming. Though, my bonus round was nothing but Hunters, so that part was lame. I'm more interested in playing today's other new addition, Team Snipers, but I might jump into Firefight more often now that they've made it more tolerable. "
    My first match in the new Firefight was Sniperfight too and it was blast, mostly because two people quit so I was able to get a ton of kills. I kinda wish regular Firefight had unlimited ammo like Sniperfight and Rocketfight because I like being able to blast dudes infinitely without worrying about running dry. 

And yeah, the bonus round was retarded. I was in the open and every time I turned around there were literally five hunters. Got killed instantly.
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EightBitShik
    @natetodamax:  After 11 minutes the two guys that I was with left too :( I think this might be a common trend :(
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @EightBitShik: But whatever, that means more kills for you! I actually left the second firefight match I did today halfway through because I was getting major combat fatigue.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Bouke
    @natetodamax:
    Do these changes only apply to online firefight? Me and my girlfriend play firefight together (splitscreen) but you hardly get any money from it which is a big bummer.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I played firefight anyways as it was good XP and alot of fun. This should be one hell of alot better :D Idk why but Ive been putting off going on Reach for some reason :/ Too excited for Fable 3 and Fallout: NV
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By NTM
    @natetodamax:
    After I had gone through the campaign on legendary I was done with the game as decent as the game was. I may have to try and get in to firefight.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shadow

I'm so glad they finally fixed the firefight stuff.  I don't think I'll be playing score attack anymore now that the bullshit betrayal booting stuff has been taken out.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sitoxity

Holy crap! I'd love to try it out, but all the fuckers I get matched with pick Rocketfight and don't pick anything until it shows up. 

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arker101

It sounds like they're doing thier best to ween people off of score attack, and this sounds much more enjoyable. 
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Jackel2072

i have yet to play a full round yet. it just sits at the matchmaking screen for 10 mins and then tells me to go play another game type.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sitoxity

After finally playing a couple of "real" Firefight gametypes, it is indeed very awesome. Never got as much as 4000 cR though, but then again never unlocked a new Commendation anyway. 

I got the exact same awesome feeling playing Campaign Co-Op, it's truely awesome. I can see myself playing both Firefight and Campaign matchmaking a lot of the time, if I keep getting games that NEVER lag.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.