How Bungie Has Changed The Controls In Halo: Reach

• 127 results
Posted by Brad (3018 posts) -

At the risk of saturating this website with Halo-related content... When Bungie says it's made significant changes to the control schemes in Reach, I won't pretend to offer any thoughtful analysis (I'm not hardcore enough about Halo for that), but I will let those of you who aren't in the beta yet take a look and decide for yourselves. 

So, who's serious enough about Halo for this to mean something to you? What are your thoughts? And what do you think of the beta, if you started playing it already? 
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (3018 posts) -

At the risk of saturating this website with Halo-related content... When Bungie says it's made significant changes to the control schemes in Reach, I won't pretend to offer any thoughtful analysis (I'm not hardcore enough about Halo for that), but I will let those of you who aren't in the beta yet take a look and decide for yourselves. 

So, who's serious enough about Halo for this to mean something to you? What are your thoughts? And what do you think of the beta, if you started playing it already? 
Staff
#2 Posted by KRNG (29 posts) -

sounds cool

#3 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

Wait, night vision? When did this happen? Is it just like in ODST? 

#4 Posted by ptys (1961 posts) -

Great! I've only ever played Halo 3, didn't understand a thing and finished the game. But this shouldn't be a problem cause I can't remember the controls anyway. Couldn't be more excited about Reach though!

#5 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Bumper Jumper remains unchanged.

Great success.

(though it's tough to jetpack and fire using Bumper Jumper. The jetpack is mostly for maneuvering around though, so no big loss)

#6 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

Changes don't seem too drastic, but I am only looking at pictures of a controller, not using one. Bumper Jumper all the way.

#7 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

Dude, on default controls B switches grenades. 

B switches grenades

#8 Posted by Novyx (479 posts) -

Nice. The Halo 3 controls always frustrate me, and the new default looks like a pleasant setup.

#9 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

Recon looks like the way to go for me. I was never a bumper-jumper in Halo 3, never even tried. 

I hope there is a normal Halo 3 controls scheme, even though the only difference is two buttons. 

AND OMG NIGHT VISION FNREIFJRWEIOFMEWKDMEWIM!!!

#10 Posted by FlipperDesert (2088 posts) -

Melee attack on the right bumper? This changes everything.

Sucks you can't do the bumper reload anymore though, that was cool.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

NO WAY, THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

BUNGIE IS SELLING OUT

i can't believe they did that to me

#12 Posted by Korrupt (31 posts) -

Bumper Jumper is looking pretty good for Reach.  Having melee moved to the right bumper as standard is pretty key too.
#13 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

wait......night vision?!

#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Default is much more comfortable with Reach. Especially since using armor abilities is so important now while jumping is not.

#15 Posted by MrJared (398 posts) -

As I said on my Twitter yesterday, "Melee" and "Switch Grenades" swapping buttons, along with the decreased emphasis on melee in Reach means that I'm now a Default player as opposed to Green Thumb.

In Halo 3, melee was so strong and encouraged that I played Green Thumb, which places Melee on the right thumbstick and weapon zoom on B. With the new changes, I no longer have to to choose between moving my thumb for either melee or zoom. I get both.

Bumper Jumper, the go-to control scheme for the super hardcore Halo 3 players, sees a decrease in effectiveness since now those players will have to move their thumb for the absolutely vital equipment button. Not moving your thumbs for mobility is the entire point behind Bumper Jumper, so having to do so to say, activate your jet pack or sprint sort of defeats that purpose. 

#16 Posted by Coleslaw893 (409 posts) -

YAY night vision!

#17 Posted by PFighter (37 posts) -

Night Vision, that new to me 

#18 Posted by PFighter (37 posts) -
@Laketown: What are you talking about?
#19 Posted by Grixxel (766 posts) -

Recon man myself, woot~

#20 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Why is the menu on a tilt?

#21 Posted by Cloneslayer (1629 posts) -

I will probably stick with default even though recon looks more what I'm use to. I always planned to get use to bumper jumper because I can see the atvantage in not having to take your hand off the buttons when you jump but I've never gotten around to relearning it.

#22 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

Doesn't seem like all that big a deal, aside from NVG's. Unless I'm totally forgetting how Halo plays..

#23 Posted by libidinous (38 posts) -

I've always disliked how they don't do custom controls. Actually, all games should have custom controls. As a southpaw, I'd like to have a way to switch grenades with equipment if I want. It was bad enough jumping to dodge before bumper jumper came out, now it'll be harder to run or fly or use any of the other armor abilities (evasions). Oh well, like a sucker I'll play it anyway.

#24 Posted by SolidEyeSystem (76 posts) -

Used bumper jumper in Halo 3, and right now I'm using the default controls in the beta.  LB for the abilities feels right for me.

#25 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

No Hug Button = No Preorder
#26 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

I will always use boxer.  

Always. 

#27 Posted by KingHippp0 (113 posts) -

I use greenthumb since Halo 2. It's actually much better in the beta with the zoom on the right shoulder instead of the B button on Halo 3/Halo2. 

I played splitscreen with a friend last night. I used the jetpack and the sprint the most, I really disliked armor lock. Whenever either of us used stealth it made all audio muffled, not just his. Covies is pretty fun. And somehow the plasma rifle might be my favorite gun, even over the DMR.  Can't wait for Monday.

#28 Posted by Tuckertime (45 posts) -

right d-pad is unmapped? WHAT THE EFFFFF

#29 Posted by SilenceUK (329 posts) -

Love that i can finaly use melee and keep both thumbs on the sticks so those stupid crab controller holders dont have an advantage for being so uncomfortable 
#30 Edited by raikoh05 (416 posts) -

I want to manually remap the buttons, why cant I do that? 
green thumb is closest to what I want, but im not satisfied with it

#31 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (656 posts) -

Who cares about the new button layout. There's NIGHTVISION.

#32 Posted by DukesT3 (1917 posts) -

Hm.. wait wut? Does the right trigger still shoot death particles? Oh ok. Then were good. 

#33 Posted by GoodKn1ght (491 posts) -

RB defult melee? thats interesting but eh whatev

#34 Posted by ThePhilatron (257 posts) -

Yes!

#35 Posted by Milkman (16811 posts) -

"Boxer" seems like an interesting way to play.

#36 Posted by RavenShade83 (58 posts) -
@MrJared said:
" As I said on my Twitter yesterday, "Melee" and "Switch Grenades" swapping buttons, along with the decreased emphasis on melee in Reach means that I'm now a Default player as opposed to Green Thumb.  In Halo 3, melee was so strong and encouraged that I played Green Thumb, which places Melee on the right thumbstick and weapon zoom on B. With the new changes, I no longer have to to choose between moving my thumb for either melee or zoom. I get both.  Bumper Jumper, the go-to control scheme for the super hardcore Halo 3 players, sees a decrease in effectiveness since now those players will have to move their thumb for the absolutely vital equipment button. Not moving your thumbs for mobility is the entire point behind Bumper Jumper, so having to do so to say, activate your jet pack or sprint sort of defeats that purpose.  "
Definite 10-4 on that. Loved bumper jumper, but with the new gameplay mechanics I can see myself making a comfortable transition to default without too much confusion. Haven't played halo in a while anyway, so I should be fine. Just happy Bungie made me excited to play halo again.
#37 Posted by megamonki (22 posts) -

I'm just glad there are multiple options, couldnt imagine using RB for melee

#38 Posted by ryonosuke (34 posts) -

apparently, as a friend revealed to me, I use the "claw grip" when I hold a controller and so i am extremely used to B being melee, thankfully though I see there is one controller layout that still keeps that layout. Looks like I'll be using the recon set up, otherwise I don't see any problems with the new layouts

#39 Posted by adoggz (2068 posts) -

yep bumper jumper is where it's at.

#40 Edited by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -

I can't get a key :(
Edit: Also I hate the lack of custom controls. I don't think it's that hard to make custom controls an option.

#41 Posted by ZAD (4 posts) -

I've always been a default guy but I can see Green Thumb being nice.  Either Green Thumb or Default.  It really doesn't make any sense to me why they won't allow fully customizable controls though.

#42 Edited by Deusoma (3011 posts) -

Recon is the only one I would even consider playing, as it's the only one with pistol whipping on B.

EDIT: Alright, after going and holding a controller in my hands, I grudgingly admit that RB could be a good spot for punching, it's just weird that they're only changing this five games in.

#43 Posted by Liam_mk (290 posts) -

Bumper Jumper is for MEN.

#44 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" "Boxer" seems like an interesting way to play. "
It's the only way to play! 
#45 Posted by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -

No x-reload b-melee option? Fail  Just make them configurable for god's sake damn!

#46 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
@RavenShade83 said:
" @MrJared said:
" As I said on my Twitter yesterday, "Melee" and "Switch Grenades" swapping buttons, along with the decreased emphasis on melee in Reach means that I'm now a Default player as opposed to Green Thumb.  In Halo 3, melee was so strong and encouraged that I played Green Thumb, which places Melee on the right thumbstick and weapon zoom on B. With the new changes, I no longer have to to choose between moving my thumb for either melee or zoom. I get both.  Bumper Jumper, the go-to control scheme for the super hardcore Halo 3 players, sees a decrease in effectiveness since now those players will have to move their thumb for the absolutely vital equipment button. Not moving your thumbs for mobility is the entire point behind Bumper Jumper, so having to do so to say, activate your jet pack or sprint sort of defeats that purpose.  "
Definite 10-4 on that. Loved bumper jumper, but with the new gameplay mechanics I can see myself making a comfortable transition to default without too much confusion. Haven't played halo in a while anyway, so I should be fine. Just happy Bungie made me excited to play halo again. "
Only reason you'll want to switch form Bumper Jumper is if you plan on doing a lot of jetpacking. Armor Lock, Sprint, Evade, and Camo all work on X without any significant loss, and you can keep your jump accessible. Using X to jetpack is a bit troublesome, but it works great for everything else. I've stuck with BJ and not regretted it
#47 Posted by Nasar7 (2690 posts) -

It's all about Boxer.

#48 Posted by twelve1784 (114 posts) -

Southpaw Sticks
Y-Axis inverted
Bumper Jumper

When my friends pick up my controller to jump into a game their heads damn near explode.

#49 Posted by twelve1784 (114 posts) -
@Ryodu:  I use the claw grip too.  It feels so right but it freaks me out when I actually look at my hands.

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/files/upload/plazmaz_claw101_3.jpg
#50 Posted by danjbailey (37 posts) -

Huh greenthumb sounds cool since I've gotten used to COD but that sounds like it would the assassinations a pain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.