I think I just hit my Halo Reach 'wall'...

#1 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1414 posts) -

The day the new maps got released I kind of stopped playing Reach. I was having a blast in BTB and I'll probably go back to playing more but right now. Halo break. Being in the middle of finals week doesn't exactly help to much. Actually I got the Age of Empires 3 for ten cents deal on Microsoft's, "Games for Windows Live" system. That game is actually really fun and balanced. My friends and I started playing and haven't really looked back.

#2 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I never even completed halo reach... i just didnt care enough.

#3 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I love playing Halo Reach, but I hate the matchmaking so much. If it could find a game in five second like Bad Company or Modern Warfare can, (~5 seconds) then I would play it all the time.

#4 Posted by krystians (403 posts) -

I like reach, and I think you just need a break, then come back to it.

#5 Posted by themartyr (691 posts) -

I finished the campaign in co-op and then played it for around a week and haven't looked at it again. I intend to go back, but there's nothing pulling me.

#6 Posted by Kermity (75 posts) -

I'm starting to feel it too, I feel like the map pack really underperformed.  After downloading and playing the three maps, it felt like the EXACT same experience I could have had without paying the 10 dollars.  But oh well, I think a small break is exactly what I need.  I found Halo 3 matchmaking to be just as fun coming back to after a time off.
#7 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

I love Halo but a while ago I stopped playing it, left it for few weeks, and now I'm back playing it on and off. It's not a game I'm going to play constantly but I still get a great deal of satisfaction from jumping into the multiplayer now and then.

#8 Posted by wubb (277 posts) -

I played it nearly every day from release until the last day of November, and now haven't popped it in one time since.  I think it's a combination of the fact that I tend to play one game 100% until I finish it (played Splinter Cell: Conviction, then Red Dead Redemption, and now Mass Effect 2) and I needed a break.

#9 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@CptChiken said:
" I never even completed halo reach... i just didnt care enough. "
Do you often buy $60 items you don't care about?
#10 Posted by carlthenimrod (1594 posts) -

I played a solid week after it came out then stopped playing. But came back couple of weeks ago and after getting my ass kicked for a couple of days, having a ton of fun. Just like any game, it helps to take a break and come back in a month or 2.

#11 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I haven't played it since like two weeks after it came out. So many games that it's hard to stick with just one. 

#12 Edited by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

I was really good until I upgraded from my standard definition, bubble ass TV to this high definition TV. Can't hit shit anymore for some reason. 
apparently I was good enough to match semi-consistently with pros in team slayer, which may or may not say something depending on how accurate trueskill is. I was hella excited though.

#13 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Teran said:
" @CptChiken said:
" I never even completed halo reach... i just didnt care enough. "
Do you often buy $60 items you don't care about? "
No, i thought i'd love halo because i did all the others ( except ODST) this was just more of the same and i couldnt be bothered. 

Also i never by $60 items. Halo cost me £35.
#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Man, I'm a big Halo fan, but I still haven't even finished Reach. I almost feel disappointed in myself, but really... I just don't think the game is all that great. I can't seem to develop any sort of emotional attachment to it. I want to love it and be blown away, but I feel like I'm just kind of drudging through the levels without being able to appreciate them.

#15 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@CptChiken:  You make a good point, $55 is a lot less than $60.  Seriously.

Actually I'd like to know what mind altering drugs you're on.  You liked Halo 1-3, then disliked ODST... by far the most unique of all the Halo games, and then dislike Halo Reach because it is both "more of the same" and "not similar enough to Halo 1-3"?

Where do you live, Candyland, USA?  Err my apologies, Candyland, UK?
#16 Posted by drcocktopus (60 posts) -

Everyone needs a bit of a Reach break every now and then...my blood pressure can't take long hours on it

#17 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Teran said:
" @CptChiken:  You make a good point, $55 is a lot less than $60.  Seriously.  Actually I'd like to know what mind altering drugs you're on.  You liked Halo 1-3, then disliked ODST... by far the most unique of all the Halo games, and then dislike Halo Reach because it is both "more of the same" and "not similar enough to Halo 1-3"?  Where do you live, Candyland, USA?  Err my apologies, Candyland, UK? "
Im not on mind altering drugs, I liked the formula the first three had, but ODST was just a bit dull. Im now just burnt out on halo. There is such a thing as changing ones opinion. Theres no need to be so offensive about it.
#18 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@CptChiken:   I'm not sure I understand what formula you're talking about.  The first three games would have been high quality but forgettable games if they had not been released on consoles.  ODST and Reach are the games where actual creativity happened.

If you don't play games on the PC, and don't have perspective on video gaming history outside of consoles I can understand your position, but pc gamers had been playing story lite fps games for years before Halo landed on the Xbox.  With ODST we see Bungie change things up a little and try to create a game driven more by the story... a story less reliant on deus ex machina and sudden plot twists... a story where it actually takes more than overloading the engine of a space ship to solve the problem like you did in Halo 1 and 2, and would have done in Halo 3 if the Elite fleet hadn't instead just glassed Africa for you.
#19 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

Halo Reach is an infuriating game, just like Halo3.

So I went back to play Halo1 PC.

@TheGreatGuero said:

" Man, I'm a big Halo fan, but I still haven't even finished Reach. I almost feel disappointed in myself, but really... I just don't think the game is all that great. I can't seem to develop any sort of emotional attachment to it. I want to love it and be blown away, but I feel like I'm just kind of drudging through the levels without being able to appreciate them. "

Same fucking here.
#20 Posted by Stackboy (502 posts) -

Go play other games, come back later OR NEVER AGAIN.

It's ok man, go play other games.

#21 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Teran said:
" @CptChiken:   I'm not sure I understand what formula you're talking about.  The first three games would have been high quality but forgettable games if they had not been released on consoles.  ODST and Reach are the games where actual creativity happened.  If you don't play games on the PC, and don't have perspective on video gaming history outside of consoles I can understand your position, but pc gamers had been playing story lite fps games for years before Halo landed on the Xbox.  With ODST we see Bungie change things up a little and try to create a game driven more by the story... a story less reliant on deus ex machina and sudden plot twists... a story where it actually takes more than overloading the engine of a space ship to solve the problem like you did in Halo 1 and 2, and would have done in Halo 3 if the Elite fleet hadn't instead just glassed Africa for you. "
What the hell are you on about "my position" are you one of those people thats going to call me a casual gamer and hate on me because i liked halo because guess what... IT WAS FUN. i didnt like halo reach and i didnt like halo ODST big deal. After the trilogy the games just felt unnecessary to me and i moved on.   
People are allowed to have their own opinions on things that may differ to yours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.