I'm loosing my Halo interest... i really don't kow.

Posted by LimblessPoet (33 posts) -

I think  i hit a wall or lost my mojo for halo. I purchased Reach on release day and played for a couple of hours and have not touched it since.  I have just no desire to continue, i liked what i played so far so that's not the problem. I just purchased the Onslaught  pack for Bad Company 2 and I'm playing it as soon as i finish writting this. Again i ask myself when will i play Reach again?

#1 Posted by LimblessPoet (33 posts) -

I think  i hit a wall or lost my mojo for halo. I purchased Reach on release day and played for a couple of hours and have not touched it since.  I have just no desire to continue, i liked what i played so far so that's not the problem. I just purchased the Onslaught  pack for Bad Company 2 and I'm playing it as soon as i finish writting this. Again i ask myself when will i play Reach again?

#2 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -

I'm with ya. Haven't played it since the first week and I don't even want to. My friends haven't even bothered with it. I really should just sell it.

#3 Posted by mwng (956 posts) -

When the map pack releases at the end of November? Can't wait for another invasion map!

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

I haven't stopped playing it since its release actually.

Maybe you outgrew Halo and prefer the modern war scenarios/gameplay?
Give me science fiction, aliens, laser swords and super soldiers any day over what I can see on CNN. ;)

#5 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Maybe it's because your not a casual gamer rather a hardcore gamer, so you can't maintain interest.

#6 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

I've kind of lost interest too though I'm pretty confident it'll come back. Same thing with Starcraft 2. I just don't have the time to play all these games online regularly.

#7 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

M'eh I do this with a lot of games. I start to worry about whether I wasted my money or not but then the mood hits me and BANG I'm in - in deep.

DragonAge is a perfect example, I bought it on release and still have barely scratched the surface but I'm confident the mood will hit me some day. Mass Effect 2 is another, I know it's gonna be awesome just can't get into it for some reason. It took like two years for Mass Effect 1 to "hook me", and almost four for Dead Rising.

(*PS: I didn't do with with Reach tho, I've been loving it since it's release. Unfortunately, it's taking a backseat to New Vegas as of today)

#8 Posted by ShadowofIntent (288 posts) -

I stopped playing it after a month and haven't been able to go back.  I think the thing for me is that Reach finally made me realize that no multiplayer will ever be as fun or addictive as Halo 2.  I played that game consistently  from the day it was released until Halo 3 came out.  It literally did not leave my xbox until about a year after i bought it.  I don't know what it is about Reach, it could be that the maps are absolutely horrendous, or maybe even that melee and grenades are overpowered.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

It's just time for a change. I'm losing interest as well, and no $10 shitty map pack is going to restore my interest. It's time for something new.

#10 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" It's just time for a change. I'm losing interest as well, and no $10 shitty map pack is going to restore my interest. It's time for something new. "
Yeah, those screenshots of the new maps just looked like the maps that were already in the game. Didn't peak my interest. And I'm scared they're going to be required for certain playlists like they did with 3. So I'll have to pay $10 to play Big Team Battle.
#11 Posted by Fish_Face_McGee (476 posts) -

I'm really glad to see I'm not alone in this.  I played Reach for about a week, and my interest has dropped off immediately.  It's not a case of liking modern warfare shooters more, since I don't.  Something I'm curious about, though, is how much this is due to me not having a group of people to play with regularly.  When I played Halo 2, friends from school and I would hop on LIVE just about every day and so when I played I was almost always shooting the shit with them while I was shooting shit with them.  Most of those guys either have already fallen out of interest with Halo or don't have an Xbox anymore.

#12 Posted by Little_Socrates (5715 posts) -

I'm still interested enough that I'm playing every two or three days, but the problem is that this is the third of these games that's really hooked me, and it really doesn't play THAT differently from the previous ones. Basically, this game operates like Assassin's Creed II or Mass Effect 2; the original game was filled with flaws that many people ignored (those people LOVED the original) and others couldn't get past. The sequel fixes most of those problems which, while a fix of game-breaking issues for detractors of the original, were not really even that big a deal for fans of the original, and so it is simply a continuation of a great franchise. 

Halo Reach "fixes" Halo for a lot of my friends who weren't huge fans to begin with. But as someone who's been following the series since I got Halo 2 in mid-2005, Reach really hasn't changed that much, and after five years, it finally starts to get kind of tired. I still really enjoy it; I've been playing Reach since it came out, with at most a few days in between sessions. But I just can't get addicted to it AGAIN the same way I did with Halo 2 or 3, when this game was still sort of fresh. Halo Reach has the best gameplay in the franchise, but after five years, it's just not ENOUGH better for me. 

That said, Halo Reach is still not perfect to begin with (map design has got to be the least interesting in the series so far, for example), so Reach's game time has run over a month so far. It's slowing down, for certain, and my biggest games for the year are coming out in a week or two, but even still, that's longer than a lot of other excellent games this year managed to hold my interest.

#13 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Maybe you're just finally burned out on Halo.

#14 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I havent even completed the campaign, i just got bored of it.

#15 Posted by iKANNIBAL (595 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Maybe it's because your not a casual gamer rather a hardcore gamer, so you can't maintain interest. "
Mass Effect is a casual RPG you know?  

Anyway i'm not tired of it, tired of slayer? yes, which is why i never play slayer but i love Team Objective, ive only taken a break from Reach to play Dead Rising 2 (which i just beat and reached level 50 on) and i'll probably take even more of a break from it to play Arcania: Gothic 4 & Fable III.
#16 Posted by SubwayD (556 posts) -

I, on the other hand, have totally had a shot of Halo mojo. Gone years without giving much of a toot about the franchise then, over these past couple of weeks, I've suddenly gotten hardcore into it. 

#17 Posted by christ0phe (946 posts) -

Ya, I wrote about this exact thing a day or two ago

#18 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@iKANNIBAL: bullshit. If it was, it would of sold more, however it's too difficult for a casual gamer to use a menu system like that. A casual gamer is like my brother, who only plays racing, sport, modern warfare 2 and halo reach. He would never play mass effect games in a trillion years because he plays casual games and wouldn't understand it. It has no appeal to casual gamers, they aren't familiar with mass effect, however they sure know halo.
#19 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@LimblessPoet: Halo is a generic first person shooter. It seems you're finally craving something unique... and challenging. Give an old PC game a spin.
#20 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Axxol said:
" It's just time for a change. I'm losing interest as well, and no $10 shitty map pack is going to restore my interest. It's time for something new. "
Yeah, those screenshots of the new maps just looked like the maps that were already in the game. Didn't peak my interest. And I'm scared they're going to be required for certain playlists like they did with 3. So I'll have to pay $10 to play Big Team Battle. "
There are far too many awesome games coming up for me to stick with Halo. For me, Halo's time to shine has come and gone.
#21 Edited by iKANNIBAL (595 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @iKANNIBAL: bullshit. If it was, it would of sold more, however it's too difficult for a casual gamer to use a menu system like that. A casual gamer is like my brother, who only plays racing, sport and modern warfare 2 and halo reach. He would never play mass effect games in a trillion years because he plays casual games and wouldn't understand it. "

Mass Effect was streamlined for the console audience, Just like Dragon Age 2 will be now that they've basicaly made it a Hack n slash game, and just like Alpha Protocal was, they are casual compared to older PC RPG's hence people that don't like the older RPG's such as Planescape can easily get into Mass Effect but find other non-casual RPG's boring. Mass Effect is indeed Bioware's most casual game to date and not only caused by its TPS like structure, but because of its limited amount of choices, pickups, & customization compared to their other titles. 

I love Mass Effect, its one of my favorite games, but it is streamlined.
#22 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

I'm mostly playing Score Attack. Maybe you should play that some? I'm not happy with the matchmaking maps besides Boardwalk, but Gruntpocalypse on Courtyard is awesome and usually counts for a challenge or two.

#23 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@iKANNIBAL: trust me, my brother doesn't know how to play rpg games and he doesn't even know what mass effect is. It's only casual because you can shoot things like gears of war, however for casual gamers, he doesn't know how to mine for minerals, or buy upgrades for weapons or prototypes. However he knows how to shoot guns in halo like most casual gamers screaming profanities during multiplayer who doesn't play other fps games. Halo is totally casual, also he doens't even know how to use the radial menu for mass effect to change weapons.  

Maybe you can bring up your point how it's casual by showing me how many units mass effect games sold to the causal market, which isn't that much. Look your seeing things differently than me, you give casual gamers too much credit, they don't post on forums and don't play videogames as much as we do. So what if it's bioware's most casual rpg, it doesn't mean it will appeal to casual gamers. They sold 2 million and of all the casual gamers, they aren't buying it only hardcore gamers.
#24 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@iKANNIBAL said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @iKANNIBAL: bullshit. If it was, it would of sold more, however it's too difficult for a casual gamer to use a menu system like that. A casual gamer is like my brother, who only plays racing, sport and modern warfare 2 and halo reach. He would never play mass effect games in a trillion years because he plays casual games and wouldn't understand it. "

Mass Effect was streamlined for the console audience, Just like Dragon Age 2 will be now that they've basicaly made it a Hack n slash game, and just like Alpha Protocal was, they are casual compared to older PC RPG's hence people that don't like the older RPG's such as Planescape can easily get into Mass Effect but find other non-casual RPG's boring. Mass Effect is indeed Bioware's most casual game to date and not only caused by its TPS like structure, but because of its limited amount of choices, pickups, & customization compared to their other titles.   I love Mass Effect, its one of my favorite games, but it is streamlined. "
This is fact. However, I do think Dragon Age 2 will surpass Mass Effect 2 is the streamline department.
#25 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @iKANNIBAL: trust me, my brother doesn't know how to play rpg games and he doesn't even know what mass effect is. It's only casual because you can shoot things like gears of war, however for casual gamers, he doesn't know how to mine for minerals, or buy upgrades for weapons or prototypes. However he knows how to shoot guns in halo like most casual gamers screaming profanities during multiplayer who doesn't play other fps games. Halo is totally casual, also he doens't even know how to use the radial menu for mass effect to change weapons.   Maybe you can bring up your point how it's casual by showing me how many units mass effect games sold to the causal market, which isn't that much. Look your seeing things differently than me, you give casual gamers too much credit, they don't post on forums and don't play videogames as much as we do. So what if it's bioware's most casual rpg, it doesn't mean it will appeal to casual gamers. "
Maybe your brothers just an idiot?
#26 Posted by iKANNIBAL (595 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" @iKANNIBAL said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:

Mass Effect was streamlined for the console audience, Just like Dragon Age 2 will be now that they've basicaly made it a Hack n slash game, and just like Alpha Protocal was, they are casual compared to older PC RPG's hence people that don't like the older RPG's such as Planescape can easily get into Mass Effect but find other non-casual RPG's boring. Mass Effect is indeed Bioware's most casual game to date and not only caused by its TPS like structure, but because of its limited amount of choices, pickups, & customization compared to their other titles.   I love Mass Effect, its one of my favorite games, but it is streamlined. "
This is fact. However, I do think Dragon Age 2 will surpass Mass Effect 2 is the streamline department. "
I heard somewhere that the gameplay showed for Dragon Age 2 is supposed to be something similiar to a dream sequence where the guy telling the story is overrating the main characters abilities thus you can hack n slash on that part but supposedly the rest of the game is the same as the original DA. I doubt this, but i hope to god its true! or i'm gonna be pissed.
#27 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -

I sense a derailment of this thread in the force.
I love Reach but I do think it's good Bungie is moving on to something new.
I think Reach is pretty much the definitive Halo title an its time for something new.
I hope the next Halo game 343 makes is pretty different.
But again, I'm loving Reach.

#28 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Pie: maybe, I was arguing with him all the time about his casual gaming habits. I was really angry at him, however I later figured alot of the games he liked has stuff that he understands in real life. For example he's good at driving, so he's good at driving games. He's great a basketball too, also he's like superior at c.s source so he's good at all fps games because he understands it. He likes gta because it's like a simulation game, since he used to hang around in gangs. However I found for things like final fantasy XIII, or mass effect 2, anything that gets to unrealistic and fantasy, he tends to hate the learning curve or simply avoids those kind of games. His other drug dealing friends all play casual games like modern warfare 2 and halo reach too. He has a life and he works alot, also has a girlfriend so he doesn't have time for gaming. He has a life I suppose, however I was suprised to find out he actually bought halo reach. I mean it's a total casual game in every way because hardcore gamers will find it's overated.
#29 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47
I don't know if you can generalize it by saying all harcore (hate that term but for the purpose of the discussion..)will find it overrated.
Its certainly easier to pick up then an rpg but that's just the nature of a shooter. I thi k there's a difference between casual game and a game with mass appeal.
That being said I'd agree its played by a lot of people who could be considered casual. They only play that, CoD and Madden for example.
#31 Posted by JaredA (832 posts) -

I beat single player on Heroic, played it's multi-player for a little, and then I just went back to MW2... I find that pretty strange because I played Halo 3's multi-player for an ungodly amount time, yet I have no wish to play Reach's... Weird...

#32 Edited by AURON570 (1677 posts) -

oh please, i lost my Halo interest when by parents wouldn't let me buy Combat Evolved for the PC because it was M-rated. The same thing happened with Call Of Duty 4. God life sucks...

#33 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -
@audiosnag said:
" I sense a derailment of this thread in the force. I love Reach but I do think it's good Bungie is moving on to something new. I think Reach is pretty much the definitive Halo title an its time for something new. I hope the next Halo game 343 makes is pretty different. But again, I'm loving Reach. "
Well said. My sentiments exactly.
#34 Posted by Alexander (1724 posts) -

I'm in a similar boat. It hasn't kept my interest. Back to Bad Company 2 and MW2.

#35 Posted by Phog_of_War (215 posts) -

It just means that you are getting older and are becoming a bit more refined in your gaming choices.  You are no longer a twichy 14 year old.
#36 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -
@Phog_of_War said:
" It just means that you are getting older and are becoming a bit more refined in your gaming choices.  You are no longer a twichy 14 year old. "
/facepalm
#37 Posted by EightBitShik (1342 posts) -

I'm sorry bro, I love playing it and I can't stop.... if I get bored with one mode I play another then I'm like oh shit I want to play that previous mode.

#38 Edited by wubb (270 posts) -

I haven't lost interest yet.  So far, most of the time the daily challenges interest me enough to give me an hour+ of playtime just towards them.  Then I might play a few matches of multiplayer, work on a forge map, etc. and that's about all the gaming time I have in a day.

My guess is I'll play it religiously until I'm away from my 360 for a few days over Thanksgiving.  Sometimes after a 3-4 day break from a game I find I have little desire to pick it back up, so I suppose I'll see then.

Also is "loosing" a giantbomb meme or something?  Noticed two Reach threads use that.

#39 Posted by J0n3s1 (289 posts) -

That happened to me too.. I bought it played couple of weaks and then I just got bored. I don't have any intrest in multiplayer gaming anymore.

#40 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@LimblessPoet: i agree as well. the game is just... boring.
#41 Posted by Phog_of_War (215 posts) -

@audiosnag said:

" @Phog_of_War said:
" It just means that you are getting older and are becoming a bit more refined in your gaming choices.  You are no longer a twichy 14 year old. "
/facepalm "

Why the facepalm?  Its most likley the truth.  Personally, I hate the Halo games, the storyline is great but the gameplay leaves something to be desired.  Just my 2 cents.
#42 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

The same things happening to me, but the only thing(s) I can figure out about it is that, have played so much Halo, we need to take a vacation, try some other titles. The internet complaining about all the changes certainley didn't help my mood with that either.  

Oh, and there are a quite a few games coming up, so try coming back to it after Black Ops, you might feel more into it then.
#43 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -
@Phog_of_War

@audiosnag said:

" @Phog_of_War said:
/facepalm "

Why the facepalm?  Its most likley the truth.  Personally, I hate the Halo games, the storyline is great but the gameplay leaves something to be desired.  Just my 2 cents.
Hey if you don't like the game that's cool but I'm tired of the whole "halo is for immature teenagers crap"
I'm closer to 30 then 20 and I like Halo. It has nothing to do with refined tastes, its preference.
#44 Posted by Jackel2072 (2279 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: its funny i completely got off the halo train when COD4 came out. now i have not been able to stop playing reach and could really care less about black ops.
#45 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I think that i'm done with Reach, I have some serious burnout.

#46 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -
@Jackel2072: 
I was talking to the OP :P
But that's good to hear, I prefer the tactical nature of Halo way more then the run and gun style of most shooters =)
Reach is gonna keep me happy for a long time!
#47 Posted by Shadow71 (194 posts) -

I felt this way with the third game in the series, just no desire to play online or anything after playing a massive amount of Halo 2. But I really did sink a decent amount of time into Reach, and it feels new/fresh enough to warrant some more attention for me. I especially like the Armour customization.

#48 Posted by Hector (3378 posts) -

Yeah I'm getting bored, went back to playing MNC.

#49 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I purchased Halo: Reach on launch day as well, and I'm regretting it big time. I played it for about 2 weeks and haven't really felt like playing it since, maybe I'm just burned out on Halo now. 

So yeah...I'm done with Reach.

#50 Edited by countinhallways (630 posts) -

I could never really get into a Halo (multiplayer) game in the first place to be honest. I have owned them all and completed the singleplayer elements of all but Reach. With Reach I was determined to play the multiplayer from day one to see what all the fuss was about. I played it on and off for like three days, but just could not get interested or invested in it.  

I have since gone back and played a handful of games here and there but in the interim I picked up Bad Company 2 and shit, that game I can enjoy online. From the first game of BC2 I played it just clicked, something Halo has unfortunately never done for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.