Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Is legendary suppossed to be like, hard?

• 59 results
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug

Cause I played through over half of it currently on in about two days and it seems to be very similar to heroic, if not the same. At least after playing through once to learn all the enemy types and how each encounter works.

I for sure die more quickly but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference so far from heroic. Does it get much more difficult near the end?

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By management

Legendray isn`t that hard if you got the right weapon for the right situation.

But you will meet some difficulty spikes later on.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By fjordson

I find it quite hard.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpudBug

The plasma pistol/DMR combo seems to just destroy everything, otherwise it's just headshots to grunts and jackals. 

I suppose

will be a problem what with them absorbing head shots like they're bits of popcorn being offered to their ready jowels.

Even the hunters seemed pretty easy.
    Durakh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Durakh

i have played through reach on heroic and found that quite hard. legendary is not quite the step up in difficulty i expected (or feared) but is damn hard nonetheless.

8kirby078

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By 8kirby078

Try four player legendary, there are SO many enemies at a time it get's a little ridiculous. We barely scraped through Tip of The Spear after slogging through what musta been about 30 elites at every AA gun, each capable of killing you in less than a second.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

TheOther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheOther

I found the best strategy for brutes to be plasma pistol/needle rifle. It takes 3 needle rifle shots to supercombine on an unshielded target. With the brutes who have shields you just get their shields off with the plasma pistol and then shoot them three times with the needle rifle.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By faustyn

it's pretty damn easy. i actually thought that heroic was much more challenging. but it's probably because i forgot how to play halo when i first started the campaign. second playthrough on legendary was easy and i really enjoyed it. 
    plasma + dmr is the way to go.  

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By wunder_

I don't play Halo. :(

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Legendary is fun, not hard.

If you run out in the open you're toast, as you should be.
    If you use cover and maybe a bit of stealth/tactics you can overcome most battles.

That, or let your AI friends take the attention while you shoot them in the back.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

trying playing legendary on your first play through.

25 hours, 2463 kills or so and 288 deaths. Legendary on reach was the hardest halo legendary so far, and quite frankly it pissed me off, When a game is so difficult it becomes a chore to keep going knowing if you don't do things perfect you'll often die. I want a challenge, but when I go into a room with 2 elites and they manage to take down my shields and health before I can get theres and because they recharge by the time I come back they are back at full health. 

I'm sure the game will be far easier on my 2nd play through even on legendary but the first time it was murder.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Raymayne

>Taken 2 days to get halfway through 
    > Dies more quickly 
    ...Yes it's hard. Also effing LOL @ the guy who managed to die 288 times on a playthrough. No offence dude but you suck.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By fattony12000

You have yet to try and play through on Solo Mythic then...

Iron Skull 
    Co-Op reverts to previous checkpoint on player death. Single player death restarts entire mission.   

Black Eye Skull 
    Shields don’t recharge except from melee attacking enemies.   

Tough Luck Skull 
    Enemies always make every saving throw, always berserk, always give, never flee.  

Catch Skull 
    Enemies are grenade happy – 2x as often and 2x as fast.  

Cloud Skull 
    Disables Motion Tracker.

Famine Skull 
    Weapons drop 50% less ammo.  

Thunderstorm Skull 
    Major upgrade to all enemies.  

Tilt Skull 
    Damage tables are modified, bullets do no damage and plasma only does half damage.

Mythic Skull 
    Double enemy health.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wasara88
    @Fattony12000: That seems a bit of an overkill for me. Is this actually doable?
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

The difficulty on Legendary kicks up in the second half of the game, but overall it's nothing too ridiculous.

Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nedemis
    How could the Brutes possibly give so many of you so much trouble?  3-4 shots to the dome with a DMR takes them out quickly.  (and yes I am talking about on Legendary)
    Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nedemis
    @SpudBug said:
    " Cause I played through over half of it currently on in about two days and it seems to be very similar to heroic, if not the same. At least after playing through once to learn all the enemy types and how each encounter works.  I for sure die more quickly but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference so far from heroic. Does it get much more difficult near the end? "
    and in those two days,  just how many hours have you invested into the campaign?
    Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MightyMayorMike
    @SpudBug: The needler takes care of brutes really easily. No shields to guard against the super combine!
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpudBug

Yeah the needle rifle was really useful in the campaign. I was dropping the DMR for it quite frequently.

I haven't played a lot in those two days. Maybe an hour or two each day.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60

I read the title of this topic in the voice of a bratty teenage girl for some reason. 

But anyways. I found it difficult at the start, but it got easier.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CitizenKane said:
    " The difficulty on Legendary kicks up in the second half of the game, but overall it's nothing too ridiculous. "
    Depends on what you are used to playing though. I wasn't very good at shooters during the Halo and Halo 2 era so I always played Normal, so playing Reach on Heroic is definitely a jarring transition for me, I can't even fathom playing on Legendary.
    babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By babblinmule

I didnt have a great deal of trouble with legendary minus the shades on mission 3. And that was whilst avoiding using the plasma pistol at all costs until the very last fight of the game. 

Theres no sport in such a weapon.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Baillie
    @SpudBug said:
    " Yeah the needle rifle was really useful in the campaign. I was dropping the DMR for it quite frequently.  I haven't played a lot in those two days. Maybe an hour or two each day. "
    So, you're have way through the game on legendary in a few hours?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
    @Baillie said:
    " @SpudBug said:
    " Yeah the needle rifle was really useful in the campaign. I was dropping the DMR for it quite frequently.  I haven't played a lot in those two days. Maybe an hour or two each day. "
    So, you're have way through the game on legendary in a few hours? "
    I was wondering the same thing. Each mission takes between 40 minutes to an hour. So that doesn't add up.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @SpudBug said:
    " Cause I played through over half of it currently on in about two days and it seems to be very similar to heroic, if not the same. At least after playing through once to learn all the enemy types and how each encounter works.  I for sure die more quickly but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference so far from heroic. Does it get much more difficult near the end? "
    Playing on Heroic helps a lot. I'm only half way through on Legendary. Not looking forward to a couple of the bigger battles, but most of it's manageable with a Plasma Pistol and a DMR/ Magnum. Hunters are a hassle though.
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MayorFeedback

I played 3 and ODST on Normal, but I jumped into Reach on Heroic and it was tough, but fun. Now going through solo Legendary, and it doesn't feel all that different, functionally, from Heroic. I'm having a much easier time the second time through, moving much faster, killing enemies more efficiently. You learn pretty quick not to rush into anywhere, for any reason, so just hanging behind cover, using the checkpoint system to your advantage, and letting your teammates do a little work for you (at least as distractions) are all it really takes. Patience is the key in either mode. 

Sections that took me 30 minutes or more before (like the first time encountering Hunters on the second level) I'm making it through now without even dying. It's fun, Heroic definitely prepares you for Legendary. So, yeah, I'd say Legendary is not as tough as I've heard some people say, especially if you've played through on Heroic already and/or are willing to take your time and methodically pick off enemies one by one from a distance.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpudBug

maybe closer to 5 hours. Bungie.net says I've put 20 hours total into the campaign so If I say heroic took 15 hours of that, that leaves 5 hours for legendary. It' dooesn't unfortunately break it up so evenly between playthroughs.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cap123

I am currently on the last stand mission in the snow, where you are defending the doctor. It is much easier than expected, and i'm doing it on my own. I was suprised by the difficulty of heroic, but this is only a baby step up from that.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
    @drhans said:
    "...take your time and methodically pick off enemies one by one from a distance. "
    That's the key right there.

Plasma Pistol + DMR/Needle Rifle helps, too. And NEVER use the Assault Rifle or Shotgun on tougher enemies. You will not survive the encounter.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By nukesniper
    @Wasara88 said:
    " @Fattony12000: That seems a bit of an overkill for me. Is this actually doable? "
    Its extreme, but I know people who have committed to it because they like to juice value out of games. Similar guy had all the skulls in Halo 2 to do a Mythic run, and recently got 1000/1000 in SFIV and Ninja Gaiden 2 (Imagine playing NG2 on every difficulty and also beating the game with every weapon, and ONLY the one weapon you are working with for 5gs each.) 

So some people will put themselves through that. I'm 2 levels into solo legendary, and have died a bit, but I might stick through it for the 275gs I'll get at the end of it all.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I did my first run through on Hardcore (? which ever one is just below Legendary) and based on that the spots I see the most trouble are: 

• The Corvet assault w/ Jorge - specifically defending the Saber
    • Falcon Level - a few points where you land and have to deal with some seriously crowded buildings.
    • That bit where Emilie is in the big gun and you're clearing an LZ for Keyes.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chrissedoff
    @SpudBug: you're just so pros that you make legendary look super easy that's all *worships*
    PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PJ

Heroic was much harder this time around compared to Halo 3 and ODST. Haven't gone into Legendary yet but am planing to. What I've played of legendary on firefight you seem to die alot faster then on Heroic, other then that its not much different. 

Also, I found Bruits to be the easiest ("big")enemy to kill on Heroic since all you need to do is pop off 2-3 headshots with the DMR(my fav Halo weapon of all time, hopefully it will make a return in Halo 4) and they're done.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MayorFeedback
    @Aragorn123 said:
    " @drhans said:
    "...take your time and methodically pick off enemies one by one from a distance. "
    That's the key right there. Plasma Pistol + DMR/Needle Rifle helps, too. And NEVER use the Assault Rifle or Shotgun on tougher enemies. You will not survive the encounter. "
    Seriously. As someone previously only really used to Normal difficulty, I was surprised how completely useless the Assault Rifle is on Heroic and Legendary. I never carry one anymore.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60
    @CitizenKane said:
    " The difficulty on Legendary kicks up in the second half of the game, but overall it's nothing too ridiculous. "
    I thought the opposite. I thought it got much easier in the second half. Maybe I was just getting better though, I dunno.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#37  Edited By citizenkane
    @CL60 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    I thought the opposite. I thought it got much easier in the second half. Maybe I was just getting better though, I dunno. "
    Well, it could have been that I was playing with 3 friends at 2 am in the morning and ended up sometime fucking around in a lot of parts and made it seem more difficult than it really was.
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wasara88
    @drhans:
    The AR has always been completely useless in heroic or legendary. Thats why i think Reach is easier on Legendary than other halo games because you are constantly given ammo for the DMR or for the Needler rifle, so there won't be an ammo shortage like in Halo 2 for an example. If you were out of battlerifle rounds you were pretty much boned. I recently played all Halo games on Legendary again and i had forgotten how tough CE was. The elites are relentless in it. Hunters and the flood are a joke though.
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SpudBug

yeah I remember taking months to finish CE on legendary. But that was when the game was new to me too.

Not trying to brag or anything in this topic I just have seen so many "OMG Legendary is impossible" threads that I was sort of disappointed. Was hoping it would take a long ass time to finish on legendary like CE did. Maybe it's just people who've played these games a ton having less of a problem, because I see a lot more similar responses that legendary wasn't really a huge increase in difficulty from heroic.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#40  Edited By Mystyr_E

Elites - Plasma pistol and DMR/Needle Rifle/Magnum combo
    Grunts / Jackals: all headshots
    Brutes: Needle rifle or needler
    Wraiths: take out turret user, pistol charge it to stun, get close, melee
    Hunters: Any rocket launcher nearby

just follow tips and boom, game over

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CptChiken

Seems to me that all legendary is is less health for you and more health for enemies.  
    Maybe a few more elieis thrown your way but not that many. 
    Legendary is all about plasma pistol DMR combo and patience.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tomance
    @CptChiken said:
    " Seems to me that all legendary is is less health for you and more health for enemies.  Maybe a few more elieis thrown your way but not that many. Legendary is all about plasma pistol DMR combo and patience. "
    This holds true for any mode really.  Too bad I didn't figure out about it until I was done with heroic. I'm not sure about legendary but one headshot with the dmr after a plasma burst and they're dead.   

I'm going to go for that legendary achievement.  That will probably be the only one keeping me from 1000/1000 if I decide to go for it.  I'll probably start off legenday on the last level.  Then I'll do that covenant ship part with jorge.  I figure get the really hard stuff out of the way first.  
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ShaneDev

Heroic for me was kinda hard Legendary was very similar but I got through it faster. The hardest part for me on Legendary was the ending of Exodus.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CptChiken
    @Peacemaker said:
    " @CptChiken said:
    " Seems to me that all legendary is is less health for you and more health for enemies.  Maybe a few more elieis thrown your way but not that many. Legendary is all about plasma pistol DMR combo and patience. "
    This holds true for any mode really.  Too bad I didn't figure out about it until I was done with heroic. I'm not sure about legendary but one headshot with the dmr after a plasma burst and they're dead.    I'm going to go for that legendary achievement.  That will probably be the only one keeping me from 1000/1000 if I decide to go for it.  I'll probably start off legenday on the last level.  Then I'll do that covenant ship part with jorge.  I figure get the really hard stuff out of the way first.   "
    That part on the ship with jorge wasn't THAT hard really, you'll be surprised. I found it to be very much like COD4 on the one from hardest setting i found that sniper hold out level really hard nigh on impossible, then i tried it on veteran and did it first time easy. I guess its because you know the layout etc.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By niamahai

i...can't pass sword base (the 2nd mission)...

the parts where you have to drive to the 2 separate location..

those 2 are the 2010 definition of motherfucking hard levels...

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By flufflogic

Where the chuffing hell is the checkpoint on Sword Base? There's that many sodding enemies at the start it's getting silly...

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Immuniity
    @niamahai said:

" i...can't pass sword base (the 2nd mission)...  the parts where you have to drive to the 2 separate location..  those 2 are the 2010 definition of motherfucking hard levels... "

For the right path (i.e. where you have to turn on the AA) i just drove around while my random marine in the back made shots with the gun. Kat was around...somewhere, but not in the warthog.

For the left path i took it EXTREMELY slow. I ran out of ammo here (because i suck) and ended up using needle rifles to take down everything. The big issue here is that revenant (or whatever the new thingo is). For him i ended up  shocking him with a powered up pistol shot and lobbing grenades. Worked gingerly.

PS- Enjoy the next bit with hunters. It takes bloody ages to take them down.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By niamahai
    @Immuniity
    @niamahai said:
    " i...can't pass sword base (the 2nd mission)...  the parts where you have to drive to the 2 separate location..  those 2 are the 2010 definition of motherfucking hard levels... "
    For the right path (i.e. where you have to turn on the AA) i just drove around while my random marine in the back made shots with the gun. Kat was around...somewhere but not in the warthog.

For the left path i took it EXTREMELY slow. I ran out of ammo here (because i suck) and ended up using needle rifles to take down everything. The big issue here is that revenant (or whatever the new thingo is). For him i ended up picking shocking him with a powered up pistol shot and lobbing grenades. Worked gingerly.

PS- Enjoy the next bit with hunters. It takes bloody ages to take them down.
    Thx for the tip wi try to refrain from controller tossing this time
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By vager

My first play through was on Legendary and it took me about 11 hours to beat. 
    The area where I had the hardest time was the final elite encounter on the 10th mission. 
    Other than that encounter, I didn't get stuck dieing over and over again throughout the campaign.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Stealthoneill

As long as you aren't going to get frustrated by retrying different situations with different weapons then you'll be fine. I am piling through on Legendary and, a part from getting stuck in some spots, haven't had too much trouble!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.