Let's talk Bloom

#1 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -

So now that most of you have gotten accustomed to bloom, how do you like the way bloom changes the game? do you like it? would it be better if there was no bloom? Given how accurate and consistent the DMR can be, would you want to see a DMR with no bloom? I personally would love an option in custom games to disable that bloom? if for nothing else just to try it? Because that was the way the BR was originally designed (Halo 2 E3 trailer).

#2 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -

What the hell do you mean by Bloom?!!?!?

#3 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -
@Computerplayer1 said:
" What the hell do you mean by Bloom?!!?!? "
Reticule bloom, that thing where the targeting reticule gets bigger as you fire/the longer you fire, making weapons inaccurate during sustained firing.
#4 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Computerplayer1 said:

When the aiming reticle expands while firing your weapon.
#5 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

My kingdom for the Halo 2 battle rifle. 

#6 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Alright!  BLOOM!  HERE COME THE BLOOM! READY OR NOT, HERE COMES THE BO- oh.. nevermind.

#7 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

It's a change i don't even think about.

#8 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

I dont really mind it. 

#9 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

It's okay. It rewards people who take their time with shots, but sometimes the other guy can get lucky by just spamming shots which is why most people complain about it. I think it could use a little tweak but I'm kinda happy with how it is now

#10 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

I find in a general medium range (i.e. across the bowl in powerhouse) the beat of "Staying Alive" is a good one to fire to.

#11 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

Bloom is alright despite lowering the skill level difference. However for some reason Halo Reach has been a disappointment to me and I have quit playing it. It's just not as compelling as the previous Halos. Also the maps are mehh to say the least and AA's were an unneeded addition.

#12 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Computerplayer1 said:

When the aiming reticle expands while firing your weapon. "
Oh shit I thought he meant lighting bloom. 

...I still don't really care.
#13 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

Heeee's the one who likes all the pretty sounds and he likes to sing along and he likes to shoot his gun....

oh THAT bloom, nevermind. I think it's stupid and way too random. You can lose to a spammer while you're timing your shots yet you can spam yet die by somebody taking his time

#14 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I hardly pay attention to it.

#15 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

I don't really like it, causes problem when you're just trading shots with another player and they're getting lucky and getting the headshots while you're not.

#16 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I think the DMR becomes much more powerful than other weapons if you remove the bloom. I think it's fine as it is.

#17 Posted by Fosssil (627 posts) -

I hate it. Normally I'm not opposed to bloom in shooting games, but Bungie really did a poor job of implementing it in Reach. The only purpose it serves is to limit the effectiveness of the utility headshot weapons (Magnum, DMR, Needle Rifle) at long range. In close to mid-range fights, it adds an element of randomness. The game would be much better if they would just cap the max ROF for all weapons and eliminate the bloom altogether.

#18 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -
@Deusoma: 

Ah, ok well that makes sense in the name of it I suppose haha. 

It's ok but sometimes it screws you out of kills that should definitely have been yours. 
#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

I remember the crap some people kicked up about it in the beta but I like it, it adds a level of depth to a lot of the weapons that wouldn't otherwise be there, especially with stuff like the Needle Rifle and DMR.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

If the DMR didn't have bloom it would be way too overpowered. I like it how it is.

#21 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

What a fortunate timing. I just played a game of SWAT Magnums and bloom really came to its full use. I fired just once or twice while letting the bloom reset while my enemies just mashed their triggers. I completely destroyed them all. Bloom is great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.