Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Potential Title Update changes

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DharmaBum

The competitive Halo community rejoiced this week as 343i unveiled gameplay on Damnation, one of the classic remakes shipping with Anniversary this November:

Normally this type of footage would only excite people for nostalgia reasons, but something is different this time around. At the 4:15 mark notice that the DMR reticle no longer has bloom, allowing the player to fire rapidly without any loss of accuracy. Bloom has seemingly been the most divisive alteration to the Halo formula in Reach, often rewarding less-skilled players for spamming their trigger as fast as possible. There also appears to be melee bleed-through similar to previous Halo games. We can assume all of these subtle changes will be included in the Title Update coming out later this year as 343 has hinted at allowing fans to play Halo with a more classic feel in time for Anniversary, whether it be in custom games or a devoted playlist.

So, what do you think? Is this the type of change you've been waiting for to play Reach again? Personally, I'm skeptical as to how the lack of bloom will affect gameplay. The DMR in its current form is already deadly in the right hands - bloom is simply an excuse to shoot slower and give one's opponent more time to react to being shot. Without bloom it might start to feel like Halo 2 again (i.e. having a dominant long-range hitscan weapon). I'm fairly certain the bloom removal was primarily in response to all the complaints from the MLG community. Reach has underperformed compared to previous Halo games on the circuit and risks not appearing in next year's lineup.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

This worries me, I think it will be a playlist specific thing though.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Gargantuan

Looks great!

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Winger

Well Halo to me was always about everyone being on an even playing field, so what do they do?

Allow everyone to spawn with different powers and weapons, unleveling the playing field.

It didn't feel right, and it wasn't fun to me. This certainly still isn't what I wanted from Bungies last Halo game, and even making the DMR more consistent might not be enough for me, it is practically the only weapon to suffer from bloom in the first place.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Lebensbaum: Bloom was bad? How...? And it let people spam shots? o.o Maybe that second bit I didn't read right, but I feel like the DRM feels fine. It requires a bit more thought and skill and timing to use.

Kermity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Kermity

I really doubt they would be so drastic as to change the game that much entirely, I bet it's just confined to an Anniversary gameplay type.  Looks like the DMR is taking the place of the first game's pistol.  The AR in the gameplay shown seems to be tweaked also to more match the one in Halo:Combat Evolved, being much more effective at range. 
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By buft

I really dont want a return of shield bleed through

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DharmaBum

@MordeaniisChaos: It's bad in a competitive sense as the game randomizes whether or not the shots hit (when the bloom is fully expanded). The most commonly referenced 1v1 situation is one player hammering on the trigger as fast as possible while the other paces his/her shots and doesn't even have time to pull off the fifth shot before being killed. You're right to say that it requires more thought/skill in theory but in reality the more frantic player has a good chance to come out on top. It's an even larger problem when connecting over XBL (playing on LAN is an entirely different game and yet MLG still demands more balance).

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaneDev

Worst thing they could do to the game in my opinion. It about basic skill to know when to spam and when to not. If these are real changes that go through I hope it will only be in one playlist or just options for these maps. I think Bungie sticking to there guns about everything in Halo 3 and Reach was really important to the success of those games and not just making them Halo 2 again. Changing bloom now just opens it up to everyone wanting everything changed. This is probably just for these maps though so I am not too worried.

I also wish they would clarify how the Halo HD multiplayer will interface with Reachs. I know its only tweaked Reach multiplayer but does it come with all the Reach maps? Do I have to switch disks if I want to play normal Reach instead of  these 7 maps?

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DharmaBum

@ShaneDev said:

I know its only tweaked Reach multiplayer but does it come with all the Reach maps? Do I have to switch disks if I want to play normal Reach instead of these 7 maps?

Playing the Halo: CEA disc will only grant you access to the 7 new maps. You will have to download them to your hard drive (for free if you purchased CEA) to play them through Reach itself.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueduck

The Halo remake coming without halo 1 multiplayer is the worst thing I've ever heard.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaneDev
    @Lebensbaum said:

@ShaneDev said:

I know its only tweaked Reach multiplayer but does it come with all the Reach maps? Do I have to switch disks if I want to play normal Reach instead of these 7 maps?

Playing the Halo: CEA disc will only grant you access to the 7 new maps. You will have to download them to your hard drive (for free if you purchased CEA) to play them through Reach itself.

Oh right that make sense. So I just download the maps from the marketplace and run them on the regular Halo Reach disk. I was just unsure how that was going to work.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By MEATBALL

People were actively avoiding Halo Reach because of DMR bloom? Man, people are fucking nuts.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By big_jon
    @Lebensbaum
    n00b!!!!
    DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DharmaBum

@big_jon: no u bk!1!

... I think I did that right.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By big_jon
    @Lebensbaum
    And then I'm all like. "Go buy yourself a 50 ya try hard"
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iDarktread

THANK YOU GOD.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Pie

Reach multiplayer never caught me due to it seeming to lack big good Big team battle maps with lots of vehicle play. Stuff like the desert map with the elephants, avalanche, satellite map and so on from Halo 3. Also whenever I do hop on and try it out again the only maps appear to be community made maps that all take place in that same forge world setting with the same assets. The only map I remember really liking in Reach was the spire one. "Fixing" bloom and the physics on grenades won't draw me in 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.