Quest Your Way To Early Halo: Reach Beta Access

Posted by Brad (3334 posts) -

So, we've launched a new quest today that the Halo fans among you might want to take a look at. I'll just leave this here and give you a minute...

That's right: finish this quest set by Thursday, April 29 at 12pm PDT and you'll be automatically entered into a random drawing for an early-access code to Bungie's upcoming Halo: Reach beta. Actually, for you, it will no longer be "upcoming" at that point; it will be "now." Mere mortals (read: ODST owners) will have to wait till May 3 to get the beta, but winners of this quest contest will be able to pop in their code and play as soon as we send it to you on Thursday afternoon.

Just to get you started, I've (poorly) hidden a couple of the quest steps around this very news item, so perhaps you would like to get clicking and make sure you're included in the drawing? Let me also include our new Ask Me Anything™ preview of the Reach beta right here, since a little birdie told me that watching it might be useful in completing the quest.

Again, make sure to check back here Thursday afternoon to see if you won a code, and hit your PM inbox to snag it and start teaba... er, blasting your opponents online right away. As always, don't post the solutions to the quest anywhere on the site or face the wrath of the moderators. It ain't that hard anyway -- figure it out for yourself!  
#1 Posted by Brad (3334 posts) -

So, we've launched a new quest today that the Halo fans among you might want to take a look at. I'll just leave this here and give you a minute...

That's right: finish this quest set by Thursday, April 29 at 12pm PDT and you'll be automatically entered into a random drawing for an early-access code to Bungie's upcoming Halo: Reach beta. Actually, for you, it will no longer be "upcoming" at that point; it will be "now." Mere mortals (read: ODST owners) will have to wait till May 3 to get the beta, but winners of this quest contest will be able to pop in their code and play as soon as we send it to you on Thursday afternoon.

Just to get you started, I've (poorly) hidden a couple of the quest steps around this very news item, so perhaps you would like to get clicking and make sure you're included in the drawing? Let me also include our new Ask Me Anything™ preview of the Reach beta right here, since a little birdie told me that watching it might be useful in completing the quest.

Again, make sure to check back here Thursday afternoon to see if you won a code, and hit your PM inbox to snag it and start teaba... er, blasting your opponents online right away. As always, don't post the solutions to the quest anywhere on the site or face the wrath of the moderators. It ain't that hard anyway -- figure it out for yourself!  
#2 Edited by Sil3n7 (1199 posts) -

Reach...for the sky.

#3 Posted by DarkFury (372 posts) -

Oh!

#4 Edited by theMuse (211 posts) -

Though I probably won't end up getting it, I'm still def interested in trying it out.

#5 Edited by masterpaperlink (1874 posts) -

Sounds great but quests are haaard

edit: actually this is easy but i already watched that 35 min halo video!

#6 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

That's dope! Hope I win an early code. Super excited to play Reach.

#7 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

Haha pretty awesome reward! I'm liking this quest system more and more.

#8 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

i hoped it would be first come first serve :(

fairer this way though!

#9 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

@Brad:

Way ahead of you Brad sir ^_^ Awesome quest set! and the ask me anything vid was totally worth watching twice!

#10 Edited by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

I hope I get picked!

#11 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -

Good job with the SPOILERS, Brad. Now we know two of the Halo games.

#12 Posted by Milkman (17328 posts) -

The set is extremely easy. No excuse for  not entering for anyone who cares about Halo: Reach.

#13 Posted by JTHomeslice (244 posts) -

Way to include a subtle hint, Brad.

#14 Posted by Seraphim84 (415 posts) -

I just did the quests for quest's sake.  If I win, there's gonna be a happy random giantbomber I PM with the key.

#15 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Oh damn.

#16 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -

Finished it. Here's hoping I can snag a code :( Reach looks way to awesome. 

#17 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@natetodamax:  

Well i've already got an ODST disc Nate - and probably wont get a chance to hit the Beta before that goes live anyway - so if I get a code i'll sling it your way- i know how much you've been salivating for this xD 
#18 Posted by l4wd0g (2016 posts) -

if anyone wants any help pm me.
#19 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -

Fine, i'll watch the video again. You should time the quest a bit closer to the video next time.

#20 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

Hmm, it it weird that I finished this quest before I read this?

#21 Posted by Lanceuppercut (133 posts) -

Sweet finished this quest this afternoon.

#22 Edited by ZmillA (2287 posts) -

hopefully the "random" drawing won't choose anyone with ODST on tied to their account :D

#23 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
THIS is where the Quest system prevails!  :)
#24 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -
@ZmillA said:

" hopefully the "random" drawing won't choose anyone with ODST on tied to their account :D "

Ssshhhhttt! I only rented it.  Keeping an eye out for deals though. Currently $42 on Amazon.ca.
And you must've missed the note about getting access 4 days early. That's a campaign's worth of experience and pwnage in Halo time.
#25 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

I finished #360.. That's gotta be worth something :P

#26 Posted by pa21ris (150 posts) -

Awesome idea Giantbomb! Though the random drawing I don't like.

#27 Posted by TheAdmin (715 posts) -
@Droop said:
" I finished #360.. That's gotta be worth something :P "
haha that's awesome! You should win it on principle. 
#28 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

God damn it I already watched the video before you put up the quest!

#29 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I think the random drawing should filter out people who don't have gamertags linked to their accounts.

#30 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

So being #86 to finish it ensures me absolutely nothing? Arg! Guess I better rent ODST anyway, just in case.

#31 Posted by theswoosh (162 posts) -

are you seriously wanting me to sit through that 35 minute video of Halo 3: reach all over again.

I'm not doing it!!!!

#32 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Waiting 'til the draw is over. Then I'm buying ODST.

#33 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

random drawings make me rage

#34 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Crap. I rewinded the video or watched it already before the quest was posted up.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'll just mute it and leave it running I guess.

#35 Posted by MB (13135 posts) -
If for some reason I get "randomly" selected, I'll give my key to someone who completed the quest on time but didn't get their name pulled out of the hat.
#36 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

Anybody who wins will be subsequently banned for getting to play Halo: Reach earlier than me.

#37 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@CitizenKane: So technically if someone were to really hate another user, they could win the code, gift it to them - and then watch you ban them?! 

Interesting - *strokes beard*
#38 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1270 posts) -

This quest set was extremely easy.

#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Do embedded videos even work for quests?

#40 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

I already have ODST but questing is so addicting that I have to do it or at least try!

#41 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -

Completed it right before i saw the article. Can't wait to see if i win.

#42 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Would be pretty fun if, instead of just a drawing, you have a system where you, when you start the competition, say "ok the guys that ends up on #30-#60, #90-#100, #930-#990 wins and gets a code". 
Would make it a bit random but could be fun to see how many would actually sit and wait for the counter to reach that number before completing the last required quest.. Also it would be a more direct way for a person to know if he or she won. :P

#43 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Finished.  In you face Brad!  I don't know why I'm trash talking you, but take that!

#44 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -
@CitizenKane said:
" Anybody who wins will be subsequently banned for getting to play Halo: Reach earlier than me. "
It automatically sends me a PM from you when I get banned right?

POINTS!
#45 Posted by SlimDogg95 (80 posts) -

Finished. But still won't get in...LoL

#46 Posted by Imensae (142 posts) -

How many codes are they giving out?
Also I've now watched that Halo Reach: Ask Me Anything 3 times.

#47 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay:  lol but it would never get to thirty since people would be waiting for each other to complete it...
#48 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1044 posts) -

So much better than running around following twitter accounts and liking facebook pages. So much better.

#49 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Finished! Here's hoping I get in.

#50 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
@Lies said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" Anybody who wins will be subsequently banned for getting to play Halo: Reach earlier than me. "
It automatically sends me a PM from you when I get banned right?  POINTS! "
Automated messages don't count.

MUAHAHAHA!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.