Reach Players: I need your help.

#1 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

So today I decided to pop in Halo: Reach after taking a hiatus from it for about a month. It loaded up as normal but when I started playing the frame rate was just terrible. My friend was noticing this as well. 

If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if some of you could go on Reach and play a round of matchmaking and see if the frame rate is bad for you as well. Just want to make sure it's not a connection issue for just me.

#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

I played a match like an hour ago and it was fine for me.

#3 Posted by Winger (151 posts) -

You been playing higher framerate games? Reach doesn't have a very consistent 30 fps in the first place. 

When I went from playing high end pc games back to 360 it took time for me to adjust.

#4 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -
@Winger: I have been playing a lot of Black Ops lately. Even so, I don't remember the frame rate ever being this choppy. 
#5 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

Really multiplayer matchmaking is much better then campaign for framerates. It's a lot more consistant with fewer drops. Saying that after playing on a decent PC for a while it will look pretty bad.

#6 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -

I haven't had frame rate problems in matchmaking, so your problem is kind of odd.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I'mma say the standard thing of 'clear your cache'.

Beyond that, I dunno, its working fine for me earlier today, both offline and online.

#8 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

I must have been playing to much Black Ops then. Everywhere I go, Matchmaking Forge, Custom games, the animation just seems really wonky. 

My hardrive is also insanely low on memory, I'll try clearing it up a bit later.

#9 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Reach in general does not have the smoothest framerate, and it gets noticeably worse when you're playing on Forge World maps. Going from the 60 fps of Black Ops to the sub 30 Reach frequently hits is probably just making it seem worse than it actually is

#10 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Yeah, as other have said, it's just your eyes being used to the 60 fps of Black Ops.

#11 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

Much like going from HDTV back to Standard Definition, it's jarring to go from 60fps back down to 30. You'll get used to it the more you play.

#12 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

If you want to really drive yourself crazy, try this. Play a game like TF2 on a decent PC, getting the framerate in the hundreds. Keep at it for a while, so it becomes your norm, and then watch anything shot on film. You'll swear you can see each still individually.

#13 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

So today I decided to pop in Halo: Reach after taking a hiatus from it for about a month. It loaded up as normal but when I started playing the frame rate was just terrible. My friend was noticing this as well. If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if some of you could go on Reach and play a round of matchmaking and see if the frame rate is bad for you as well. Just want to make sure it's not a connection issue for just me.

Reach has terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible framerates if you play local MP. Is was your friend a guest? MP was generally fine for me, but what map? I know some maps were a lot worse. Not as bad as some of the firefight maps like glacier, but worse than others for sure.

#14 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

Haven't noticed any framerate issues... Even on a hectic firefight map, the framerate rarely gets anywhere near unplayable.

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

You need to give the xbox a reach around.

#16 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

Firefight gets really bad at points sometimes. But general matchmaking shouldn't be problematic.

#17 Edited by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

A lot of Forge World maps suffer from terrible frame rate drop. Most annoyingly is that Asylum one of the most played maps in the game and easily the most played in Squad Slayer, suffers from a huge frame rate drop when you look down the sniper scope from one side of the map to the other. It may be just you switching back from Black Ops since its fairly normal for it to drop. 

Also just humorously is that although Halo Reach looks really good the developer commentary is filled with moments were they straight out said the engine was a chore to work with for pretty much every single thing. 

#18 Posted by Lukeweizer (2639 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

So today I decided to pop in Halo: Reach after taking a hiatus from it for about a month. It loaded up as normal but when I started playing the frame rate was just terrible. My friend was noticing this as well. If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if some of you could go on Reach and play a round of matchmaking and see if the frame rate is bad for you as well. Just want to make sure it's not a connection issue for just me.

Were you playing online Firefight? Cause if you are, it's just lag. Firefight matchmaking has terrible lag.

#19 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I have noticed this during Firefight Arcade mode. Not had any problems with competitive multiplayer though!

#20 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos: No, it was online custom games.
@Lukeweizer: No, Custom games and multiplayer matchmaking. I've never cared for firefight.
@ShaneDev: That's what I reckon it must be. Just weird how my friend noticed it too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.