Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Seriously considering bumping this game from Normal to Easy.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Now, I dont like admitting that I play alot of my games on easy, mainly because I gamefly my games and I kinda want to get done with them as soon as I can alot of times and go onto the next thing. Although, when I do play them on Normal, I usualy do fine. But this game is very very frustrating even on normal. Too many cheap deaths, gangups and different kind of things like that. Its almost  not fun anymore, and thats is no beuno in a video game. I dont know, maybe playing on easy so much has made me soft, but is this just me? am I just getting soft? or is this game abnormaly tough on normal?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

If Brad and Jeff are recommending Heroic, then you're soft.  :P

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

If you're not having fun with Normal mode, then bump it down to Easy. No sense playing a game if you're not having any fun. That's why they call them games.  

Personally, I don't ever play Halo games on Legendary, because it just seems like a waste of time. You slog through the campaign just for some measily achievement points? Give me a break. 

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mikeeegeee

I love what they did to the difficulty in this game. This thread makes me smile.

But seriously, try easy. If Normal is too hard, you simply need to get better. Not to be a dick. It's just... reality.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree

A pro-tip is to never go out on your own.  Stick with your team and fight along with them.  If you are by yourself then you will get gang-raped.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Consider the stock of people who would look down on your for this.  
    See? It doesn't matter what level you play at. You purchased the thing yourself, play it how you want.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz

Persevere! I was getting my ass beat at times in Normal, and it was frustrating the shit out of me. However, I pushed through, and beating the game felt much more satisfying than it would have on easy.

...Plus, achievements!

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword
    @JJWeatherman:

Pretty sure Vinny said hes bumping down to normal due to Heroics diffculty. why do people look down on other people for playing on easy anyway?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword
    @punkxblaze:

yeah, you dont get a acheivment for beating it on easy.
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By BunkerBuster

Don't play it like Call of Duty you can't rush and you have to be more methodical because of the way the enemies work. It's also good to know that Plasma destroys shields and Bullets destroy flesh. Use weapons accordingly and you should have no trouble.
    Also the overcharged plasma pistol will always knock out vehicles and will auto-kill banshees in the air, so that's good too.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword

ugh, ill keep trying it I guess.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @JJWeatherman: Pretty sure Vinny said hes bumping down to normal due to Heroics diffculty. why do people look down on other people for playing on easy anyway? "
    Because they're so hardcore, and therefore, better than you. They don't play games to have fun. They play games on the hardest difficulty setting so they can tell their imaginary friends that they beat the game on the hardest difficulty setting.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By carlthenimrod

It's your money. Play the game how you want to play it and only how you want to play it.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By NickLott
    @Raven_Sword: Whatevers fun, dude. It's a game, not a job.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Teran
    @Raven_Sword:   The cheap deaths are probably a result of carelessness on your part.  I don't say this in an elitist way, I considered switching myself but I had to stop running and gunning so much and approach situations with a little more thought... I was also a terrible shot at the time.  I don't know how far into the game you are, but for me I got used to things right around the space ship level and the game felt challenging but not cheap and was a very rewarding experience.

I'd discourage you from switching, but ultimately it's about fun.  If you're having fun experiencing the story, change the difficulty, but if you're enjoying the game mechanics as well as the story you should probably tough it through a little longer.
    OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OdinsThunder

Don't mean to brag, but I'm finding heroic pretty easy most of the time. Am I cool or what? Eh? Eh?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

Play whatever difficulty your think you'll have fun with. You want the memories to be good, not of annoyance.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bhhawks78
    @OdinsThunder said:
    " Don't mean to brag, but I'm finding heroic pretty easy most of the time. Am I cool or what? Eh? Eh? "
    My beef is that heroic is mostly easy then random things will one shot you.  A fuel rod will oen shot me but if I hit a jackal it just blows up his shield...wtf?  That should happen on Legendary+1 not heroic.  Besides that and the concussive elite rifle somehow being godly for them but useless for me have been my only struggles.
    Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Feser

I'm legitmatelty too proud to play any game on easy difficulty. I'd probably have  beaten Forza by now if I didn't have all the assists turned off. And yes, I know this is a stupid problem.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ryanwho said:
    " Consider the stock of people who would look down on your for this.  See? It doesn't matter what level you play at. You purchased the thing yourself, play it how you want. "
    Haha. Actually, yeah. This is probably the best answer. 

Play to have fun, duder. If that means playing on Easy until you warm up to the difficulty--and, mind you, this is the steepest of the Halo games, in terms of difficulty--then whatever, you know?
    Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feser
    @Teran:
    It's possible to run and gun, but you just have to be super aggressive and mantain superiourity.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " @OdinsThunder said:
    " Don't mean to brag, but I'm finding heroic pretty easy most of the time. Am I cool or what? Eh? Eh? "
    My beef is that heroic is mostly easy then random things will one shot you.  A fuel rod will oen shot me but if I hit a jackal it just blows up his shield...wtf?  That should happen on Legendary+1 not heroic.  Besides that and the concussive elite rifle somehow being godly for them but useless for me have been my only struggles. "
    This bugs me too. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By rjayb89

The plasma pistol can make taking down big enemies easier. That damn Fuel Rod-using dude in Chapter VII deserved it.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrPockets000
    @rjayb89 said:
    " The plasma pistol can make taking down big enemies easier. That damn Fuel Rod-using dude in Chapter VII deserved it. "
    This.  The plasma pistol is absolutely invaluable, especially against Elites.  A fully charged plasma pistol shot to the head + 3-5 rounds from Magnum = dead Elite.  I used this combo in the final segment of Nightfall on Legendary.
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By SpudBug

Whatever lets you enjoy the game, dude.

But i think the AI and the way it flanks and surprises you is one of the best parts of the single player game and turning them into easy targets would ruin a lot of what makes this game great. But that's my opinion.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thebatmobile

I jumped right into Legendary, because I'm awesome.

Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kutkh

Play whichever way makes the game most enjoyable for you. At the same time, I think Brad said in the podcast that if you're dying repeatedly on a section it might be worth trying something totally different: I know I get locked in to a particular "best approach" that isn't actually a best approach at all. 

It might sound weird but I treat Halo difficulty like Guitar Hero/Rock Band difficulty: for a while, Hard and Expert (Heroic/Legendary) look completely insurmountable - but after a while you start to develop the patterns and techniques that allow you to push through. That's where the real enjoyment of the game comes from, for me, but there's certainly no shame in having to build up to that point.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I very nearly did the same thing. But powered through. Made use of Jeff's "run past everything" tactic near the end.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Abnormally tough on normal? I don't think so. There are been a number of occasions where I feel like I've been killed but something I just could not have seen coming but overall I've found the difficulty pretty standard and if I am having trouble at a certain point I'll go back in with a different strategy. I'm just speaking for me though, if you want to drop the difficulty down to easy then go for it.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog

It's not "bumping" if you actually lower the difficulty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Raven_Sword: I play 90% of my games on easy, or normal mainly for the story shooters tend to be normal while action adventure rpgs easy. I played reach on heroic because every other halo game I played normal, and everyone says heroic is the standard for halo games. Holy shit did I want to cry the entire length of the game. Now I have to go back and play legendary :( for the achieve.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaneDev

Play in easy if you want but if its like Halo 3 then that might be a little too easy in that game you could stand on a scarab as it blows up and be fine. Also the game doesn't keep track of you stats if you play on easy at least from what I can see.

Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Prolix

You expect to much from a dead studio, only interesting in reselling their name. 

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mowgers

Use plasma weapons to kill shields on the elites, shoot jackals in the weapon hand then in the head to get round their shield, make sure you have a precision weapon nearby (DMR, Needle Rifle) to quick headshot a lot of the cannon fodder enemies. You definitely have to think a bit more with this game than I expected, but its do-able. And shit, if you wanna bump it to easy, bump it to easy. Just don't deny yourself the challenge just to beat it. My friend, crazy bastard that he is, has done it solo on legendary already, but I don't think I ever will... Halo has a very specific feel and play style these days and people can deal with it to different degrees.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By MichaelBach

I play on Heroic and I find that the challenging is part of the fun, I think on easy you will run thru it in no time but would it then feel satisfying? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
    deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I started the game on heroic, and then bumped it down to normal after three or four missions. I was trying to enjoy the story but the five or six reloads of a checkpoint before moving a hundred yards was really putting a damper on that. Now that I have finished the campaign, I will probably play through on legendary on my own and possibly with some friends in co-op.  

Play the game on the difficulty that feels right for you, that is why there is the choice.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By DoctorWelch

Idk dude, I flew by it on Heroic. Then again, I have beaten Halo 1, 2, and 3 on Legendary by myself.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Patriarch

Play at the difficulty that is the most fun for you. Simple.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NikoAlexander57

Try co-op. I'm playing co-op on heroic and it's great. Solo heroic sucks ass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.