The ending of this game.

#1 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

I knew what happened with Reach and everything beforehand, but it was a hell of a lot more than I was anticipating. Contrary to what I'd previously been expecting, it was actually really powerful, even if the way they did it wasn't especially fresh. Made me feel all funny inside, though, especially the very last scene.

Great way for Bungie to end their last Halo game, I think.

#2 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -

It felt somewhat brief, but it was definitely an awesome, if sombering sight to see the Pillar of Autumn flying away and knowing where its going.

Thought it wasn't quite as good of an ending until the extra scene that sorta fully closed up the plot.

#3 Posted by cire147258369 (62 posts) -

I agree love the ending

#4 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (846 posts) -

I wasn't too happy with it.  It goes obviously against the canon novel, which I found irritating.  I get that you're just one guy in a squad on a mission, but the whole campaign didn't leave me with a sense of accomplishment.

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5632 posts) -

The elites at the end who kill noble six are like CoD killing the last of a breed ( a Halo style FPS)

naw' what I mean?

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Ending is ace, especially the very last mission.

#7 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

I think even more powerful than the ending itself was the credits. 

Having followed Bungie and Halo over the years, there was something so touching about watching the Pillar of Autumn somberly float through space, slowly panning around to reveal Halo. It was such a bittersweet moment that Noble Team's story had come to an end, and yet that shot signified that the story fans had come to love over the years was only just beginning. Reach is definitely my favourite Halo game story-wise, I thought it was a great send off for Bungie.

#8 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I really liked the planet being rebuilt in the background while the helmet lays in the field, it was a really great way to end the game. It felt like full closure like the end of Halo 3.

#9 Posted by natetodamax (19140 posts) -

It's hilarious on Legendary because you get wiped out instantly.

#10 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

It was a decent ending, but I feel like they could have done a lot more narratively. There was none of the interesting stuff that I liked in the Fall of Reach novel, like the backstory of the SPARTAN projects. I would have loved playing as a young SPARTAN as a tutorial mission or something.

#11 Posted by libidinous (38 posts) -

There were two parts of the end sequence that really made it pop. When you got hit, that crack in your visor that couldn't heal was the first time in the game that I actually regretted being reckless. The best part, though, was that pinky-purple haze that really pushed the feeling of isolation.

#12 Edited by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

The ending was great and the little note by Bungie was fantastic, but i was shocked when the credits popped up, thinking is that it? 

But then the credits ended and the story was wrapped up perfectly. I felt a sense of accomplishment while the lady was praising my efforts.

#13 Posted by R3Qui4M (409 posts) -
@natetodamax: I let go of my controller cuz there was no hope
#14 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

It was pretty great.
#15 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

the whole "o0oh i wonder how heroic the next one will die?" thing got lame.  

#16 Posted by UltraMagnus (53 posts) -

It was totally awesome.

It was kinda weird though, like there was no reward or benefit for me to stick around and actually try and fight, but I felt really compelled to kill every Covenant motherfucker that killed billions of people and destroyed an entire planet.  I felt sad too, when I saw the camera shot I remembered from the start of the game of Six's helmet, battered and busted, admist a barren and glassed planet-surface.

Great ending, just great.

#17 Posted by majormoe (30 posts) -

One of the greatest video game endings ever! Suck it haters!

#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (13976 posts) -

For all the flak that Bungie get over the narrative in their games it's good to see that the ending of Reach gelled with so many people, I certainly loved the ending, especially the post-credits eulogy and was pleasantly surprised by the way they managed to bring the games full circle.

#19 Posted by Brendan (7522 posts) -

I thought the ending was great, but I agree with the sentiment that the beginning was kind of weak.  It was probably a hard choice to make though:  Did they want to put the player right in the action?  Or fill the beginning with a bunch of backstory?  In the end, maybe they made the right choice.
#20 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@Shinri:  You're right it did retcon a lot of canon lore but to be honest most of these retcons made sense and actually improve the story in the previous games in many ways.

People need to keep in mind that the Reach book was originally written to give a backdrop to the other games.  When it was decided that they were going to make Halo: Reach they probably realized a lot of the things that happen in the book just won't look or feel right in a video game format... like having the planet glassed in a very short period of time rather than weeks.
#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

Indeed

#22 Posted by mikeeegeee (1536 posts) -
@R3Qui4M: You dropped your controller for the very last mission!? I killed a lot of aliens in that part. 

@UltraMagnus: Same. I legitimately played the best Halo I've played at that point.
#23 Posted by Ralnakor (3 posts) -

Given I thought the ending of Halo 3 certainly could have been stronger, I absolutely loved the ending to this game. The chills I got when the objective "Survive" popped up are something I haven't gotten since the first game.

#24 Posted by Cegoraph (148 posts) -

The ending was Reach's only shining moment in it's storyline. It was certainly a great ending, and a great way to end the series. It brilliantly gels storytelling and gameplay, making it emotionally stirring for the player.

#25 Edited by Erik (386 posts) -

I would say that this and CoD 4 represent the two best endings in first person shooter history in my opinion. Considering other FPS's endings and stories it ain't that impressive, but those are two damn good endings.

#26 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1785 posts) -

I feel like the story itself was solid and delivered some of what it was trying to convey, the feeling of accomplishment with your victories against all odds, pushing through while fighting tooth and nail to the last man and the last round, and the invading sense of depression and hopelessness when you realize it still wasn't enough to make a difference. 

That said, it could have been presented in much better fashion; they kind of rushed into the whole Covenant thing expecting you to already know EVERYTHING about Halo and what the implications of a bunch of mean ass alien dudes on Reach means for humanity as a whole. I never really felt the scale and scope of the invasion or the disasters and horrific, brutal acts being forced upon my friends or fellow human beings, the key ones to note being my fellow SPARTANs. There was always something just sort of distancing me from any of the characters and it was sort of awkward when I realized what it was. 

I don't know who any of these characters are. They aren't set up or introduced in any way, they're just "this dude is big and this dude has a phat skull on his helmet" and then you kill some guys and then bad things happen to them and I am supposed to care because the game wants me to.

It was when Jorge died that I just sat back and thought "okay, I see what you're doing here, but you haven't dedicated nearly enough time to character development to make me care."  It isn't the fault of Bungie specifically,  many game developers need to learn that just because you want your video game moment to be sad, does not mean it will be.

The ending level was amazing. I loved it. The post ending scene, however, with Halsey's little speech, was eye rollingly, groan inducingly bad.

#27 Posted by Shadow (4966 posts) -

I loved the whole thing.  It was only the stuff with Cortana that I found to be totally stupid, having read the novels.  That said, it was nice to finally see Dr. Halsey in a game.  Anything's better than the ODST ending though.  Man was that retarded.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -
@Artemesia said:
"It was when Jorge died that I just sat back and thought "okay, I see what you're doing here, but you haven't dedicated nearly enough time to character development to make me care."  It isn't the fault of Bungie specifically,  many game developers need to learn that just because you want your video game moment to be sad, does not mean it will be.   "

I agree with what you're saying here but I thought that at least Kat's death was done really well.  Perhaps it's because hers was so sudden, but it's pretty shocking when it happens and you can really tell how much it affected the rest of the team when it happened, without it just being an over the top "nooooo!" scene.  They kept their cool and continued on as normal, as you should in a battle..  But in the next mission, Carter especially was clearly pretty shaken by it. 

More time spent on character development definitely would have helped a lot though.  Jorge and Kat were really the only ones I felt we knew anything about.
#29 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -
@Shadow:  I thought Dr. Halsey came off as more of a bitch then in the books.
#30 Posted by Shadow (4966 posts) -
@Jack_Daniels said:
" @Shadow:  I thought Dr. Halsey came off as more of a bitch then in the books. "
No, she was just as much of a bitch in the books.  It's just that there, her bitchiness was always accompanied by an inner monologue of why she had to appear tough in front of her soldiers.
#31 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -
@Shinri said:
"I knew what happened with Reach and everything beforehand, but it was a hell of a lot more than I was anticipating. Contrary to what I'd previously been expecting, it was actually really powerful, even if the way they did it wasn't especially fresh. Made me feel all funny inside, though, especially the very last scene. Great way for Bungie to end their last Halo game, I think. "

It hit me pretty hard. Noble made the best the could out of a bad situation and the fact that humans were simply being exterminated was pretty harsh. The loss of many of the characters and ending of the game were quite poweful. Jorge, Kat, Carter and last but not least Noble 6 all went down in pretty well done ways. Kats death hit me the hardest. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.