Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

This Is A Poor Excuse For A Halo: Reach Preview

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided
    So here's something you might not know about me. I typically don't take notes while reviewing games. The usual exceptions would be, like, if a specific line of dialogue jumps out at me and I want to make sure that I'm quoting it correctly or something like that. But I tend to go with the "if I can't remember it, chances are it doesn't necessarily make enough of an impact to be a point in the review" approach. It's served me pretty well over the years. In fact, the only times when this approach does me wrong is in cases like the one I'm currently facing.

I played Halo: Reach today. Before doing so, I signed a big ol' non-disclosure agreement, which covers things like not spoiling the story twists and not using footage of specific areas, and so on. It's nothing fancy and it comes with the territory. Some folks are quick to jump at moments like this as if it's some sort of shady dealing, but it's a standard part of doing business. When companies give you early access to their marquee releases, they want some legal backup to keep you from going hog-wild and posting video of the entire game online or something, and the agreements never encroach on a reviewer's ability to do his or her job. At least, none of the ones I've signed have been that way.

But that's beside the point. The difference with today's play session and subsequent legal agreement is that there are a couple of levels in the Halo: Reach campaign that I can freely talk about right now. Right this second, I could be typing it up instead of writing this nonsense. That is... if I could remember what those two levels entailed.

== TEASER ==It's tempting to go and find some other outlet's writeup of the two levels and skim them, if only to get a quick refresher course. But that'd be cheating! Gah, but it'd probably only take a sentence like "and then Noble Six cracks a dude in the skull on a bridge" to jog my memory. Wait... maybe I can't talk about the skull cracking or the bridge.

I guess it speaks to the different mentalities of the previewer versus the reviewer. I'm interested in taking the entire game in as a whole when I'm working on a review. Don't take this as me saying "most parts of a game aren't important" or anything like that. The individual moments are important when they're happening, but they're quickly culled down to a general feeling along with a few specific sequences to support points made in the text or accompanying video. Usually, by the time I've finished playing a game, many of my thoughts are organized well enough to begin writing almost immediately, though some games require a bit more thought for one reason or another.

Man, I should have just taken some effting notes instead of being all high and mighty, like I'm mister "bringing a notepad just slows me down." So here are a couple of things I can say about these two levels--whichever two they actually are--in Halo: Reach.

• Spartans have cool armor.
    • I still enjoy the guns-followed-by-melee approach that has served the Halo series so well for all these years.
    • The armor abilities make for an interesting addition to the standard Halo gameplay... in these two levels, of course.
    • I should really go play those two levels again and take notes instead of being a total jackass.

As an aside, I threw up the following post on Twitter before starting on this little not-write-up:

NOTE: TAKE THE ABOVE AT FACE VALUE 
    That was immediately met with people trying to find hidden meaning in the message, as if this was some sly missive with loads to say about the quality of the Reach campaign. I swear, sometimes I think you guys at home are getting just as big on the misquotes and the art of the "scandalous" headline as some games writers are. Gross! Not everything has a double meaning. Sometimes my inability to parse and store level names is just my inability to parse and store level names, OK? 

Wait! One is the sort of... stealthy mission, and the other opens with all those Warthogs going balls out, right? Jeez, hope I'm right...
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided
    So here's something you might not know about me. I typically don't take notes while reviewing games. The usual exceptions would be, like, if a specific line of dialogue jumps out at me and I want to make sure that I'm quoting it correctly or something like that. But I tend to go with the "if I can't remember it, chances are it doesn't necessarily make enough of an impact to be a point in the review" approach. It's served me pretty well over the years. In fact, the only times when this approach does me wrong is in cases like the one I'm currently facing.

I played Halo: Reach today. Before doing so, I signed a big ol' non-disclosure agreement, which covers things like not spoiling the story twists and not using footage of specific areas, and so on. It's nothing fancy and it comes with the territory. Some folks are quick to jump at moments like this as if it's some sort of shady dealing, but it's a standard part of doing business. When companies give you early access to their marquee releases, they want some legal backup to keep you from going hog-wild and posting video of the entire game online or something, and the agreements never encroach on a reviewer's ability to do his or her job. At least, none of the ones I've signed have been that way.

But that's beside the point. The difference with today's play session and subsequent legal agreement is that there are a couple of levels in the Halo: Reach campaign that I can freely talk about right now. Right this second, I could be typing it up instead of writing this nonsense. That is... if I could remember what those two levels entailed.

== TEASER ==It's tempting to go and find some other outlet's writeup of the two levels and skim them, if only to get a quick refresher course. But that'd be cheating! Gah, but it'd probably only take a sentence like "and then Noble Six cracks a dude in the skull on a bridge" to jog my memory. Wait... maybe I can't talk about the skull cracking or the bridge.

I guess it speaks to the different mentalities of the previewer versus the reviewer. I'm interested in taking the entire game in as a whole when I'm working on a review. Don't take this as me saying "most parts of a game aren't important" or anything like that. The individual moments are important when they're happening, but they're quickly culled down to a general feeling along with a few specific sequences to support points made in the text or accompanying video. Usually, by the time I've finished playing a game, many of my thoughts are organized well enough to begin writing almost immediately, though some games require a bit more thought for one reason or another.

Man, I should have just taken some effting notes instead of being all high and mighty, like I'm mister "bringing a notepad just slows me down." So here are a couple of things I can say about these two levels--whichever two they actually are--in Halo: Reach.

• Spartans have cool armor.
    • I still enjoy the guns-followed-by-melee approach that has served the Halo series so well for all these years.
    • The armor abilities make for an interesting addition to the standard Halo gameplay... in these two levels, of course.
    • I should really go play those two levels again and take notes instead of being a total jackass.

As an aside, I threw up the following post on Twitter before starting on this little not-write-up:

That was immediately met with people trying to find hidden meaning in the message, as if this was some sly missive with loads to say about the quality of the Reach campaign. I swear, sometimes I think you guys at home are getting just as big on the misquotes and the art of the "scandalous" headline as some games writers are. Gross! Not everything has a double meaning. Sometimes my inability to parse and store level names is just my inability to parse and store level names, OK? 

Wait! One is the sort of... stealthy mission, and the other opens with all those Warthogs going balls out, right? Jeez, hope I'm right...
    Nyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nyro

Halo

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Curses! I'm #2! Well Jeff, we hope you go back with a notepad. Well, kinda. I actually think I'd just want to play the game and find myself. But I'm totally cool with hearing about Warthogs going balls out. Who isn't?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeff
    @Nyro said:
    " Halo "
    Thank you for your insightful contribution.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Super excited for this game.

Nyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nyro
    @Jeff: welcome!
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

I smell a smoke screen, Gerstmann.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ChristianCastillo

damn Jeff, get your act together 

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mazik765

That is one remarkable preview. 

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@Jeff
    said:
    " @Nyro said:
    " Halo "
    Thank you for your insightful contribution. "

It's even more ironic how after reading your article, Nyro basically foreshadowed 95% of the upcoming replies.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By vager

Halo: Reach. It's a Game. Preview Done.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@Jeff said:
    " @Nyro said:
    " Halo "
    Thank you for your insightful contribution. "
    I second this.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vaiz

It's okay, Jeff. We all appreciate the effort anyway.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

It's ok Jeff, it happens 

And any in-depth preview into Reach's levels would have only served as a huge tease for a game I have already decided to purchase.  

Oh, and I hope someone sends Giantbomb 775 tiny notepads. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Red12b

it's your fault that people just say "Halo" for the quest instead of actually discussing the topic,  

Anyway, cheers for the inside look at how you do that voodoo you do somewhat well sometimes... 

Good Stuff
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Heartagram

Haha...This is why i love Giant Bomb.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By sagesebas
    @Jeff: YA know sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Lukeweizer

Doesn't matter Jeff, Reach falls anyway.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @punkxblaze said:
    " It's okay, Jeff. We all appreciate the effort anyway. "
    Halo: Reach; The Game: The Movie: The Novelization: The Review: The Notes: The lie??
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vaiz
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " @punkxblaze said:
    Halo: Reach; The Game: The Movie: The Novelization: The Review: The Notes: The lie?? "
    The Audio Drama. Narrated by Ryan Davis.
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @punkxblaze said:
    " @MordeaniisChaos said:
    " @punkxblaze said:
    Halo: Reach; The Game: The Movie: The Novelization: The Review: The Notes: The lie?? "
    The Audio Drama. Narrated by Ryan Davis. "
    Pre-ordering on amazon as we speak. SO excited :3
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hatking

This has been one of my favorite reads on the site in a long time.  Jeff you're a clever man. : )
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Red12b

@Lukeweizer Said: 

Doesn't matter Jeff, Reach falls anyway.      

Because you've played the game right? You wouldn't say this unless you've played the game, how else would you know?! I bet you don't make assumptions, you wouldn't do that would you, Nope never!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

This is simultaneously the worst and best preview of Halo:  Reach I've read so far.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Shit happened.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By BunkerBuster

If it makes you fell better Jeff, I can't remember what happened in any of the Halo games. I even played the first game four times through.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm so pumped for Reach now.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By DoctorWelch

I really dont think anyone cares about a Halo Reach preview because I bet most of the people that would care already got their own personal preview by playing the beta. I think Reach is just one of those games that everyone knows whether or not they are going to get it months before hand, and no preview, trailer, or even review, is going to effect that decision.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mikeeegeee

I don't get it. Were you drunk?

twosided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By twosided

Well it seems that Reach is in fact a Halo game.  The fact that nothing else about it stands out is a little disappointing, but I suppose not surprising.  Iterative sequels put money in the bank - I guess we should be thankful if one or two a year end up breaking new ground.

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DerekDanahy

Awesome.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Serious question incoming: 

When you play secret game covered in NDA sauce, do you have to do it with the lights off and the curtains down? Let's say your non-NDA friend just innocuously walks by your desk and sees you doing your thing. Could you get in trouble?
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BionicMonster

Who seriously expects people to pay attention to the level names in an FPS anyway? The only FPS level names I can remember are from (ironically) Halo:Eombat Evolved, which are 343 Guilty Spark(probly because of the cinematic),The Library(because that level was NUTS),and Halo(because I played that level ALOT). I also remember "No Russian" from MW2, mostly because people keep pasting different heads on the guys in the elevator.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ajamafalous

Oh man, Jeff calling out the dude trying to get the first post is great. On one hand, if there was no quest rewarding that, it'd be totally ok, and I'm pretty sure the staff used to call people out on that kind of stuff, too. But now that there's a quest encouraging it, you can't help but feel for the guy.

@Jeff: Anyway, I always enjoyed the blog-type write-ups that you do from time to time. Would definitely enjoy seeing more of them.

Zeninnnnnnnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zeninnnnnnnn

I always wondered if things like this would happen. It seems like they do. I guess I kind of fall into the same camp as you, in that I do not take notes for things I might need to remember. Unless it's a super super minute detail that I thought was pretty interesting, notes are pretty much something I don't do.

Razputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Razputin

Hidden meaning: those two levels were nothing special. 
    Weee!

glanesb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37  Edited By glanesb

Again....your my hero

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I glanced at something regarding writing Halo and a quest. 

Umm... that screen shot was pretty cool.  I just noticed the "rstm" in gerstmann.  That's pretty cool too. 

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Curufinwe

Halo, god only only knows.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Vinny_Says

yeah dude so like you totally don't like this game cause you obviously don't care cause you don't remember the level names!!

Yeah halo CE is one of my favorite games (don't bash me Jeff) but I sure don't remember the name of the level where you storm a beach. Library? Flood? no? FUCK!!

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bellmont42

So basically what you're saying is... you try to enjoy games while you play them and let them try to have their intended impact on you instead of making it super serious business?? I have no issues with that.

Nyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nyro
    @ajamafalous: To be honest, this is the first time I've ever done that. I refreshed after I read it and saw no one posted, so I figured why the hell not. *shrug* I didn't even it get it so yeah...  
     *sad face?*
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By delta_ass
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " yeah dude so like you totally don't like this game cause you obviously don't care cause you don't remember the level names!!  Yeah halo CE is one of my favorite games (don't bash me Jeff) but I sure don't remember the name of the level where you storm a beach. Library? Flood? no? FUCK!! "
    I think you'd remember the Library level. It was awful.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vaiz
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " yeah dude so like you totally don't like this game cause you obviously don't care cause you don't remember the level names!!  Yeah halo CE is one of my favorite games (don't bash me Jeff) but I sure don't remember the name of the level where you storm a beach. Library? Flood? no? FUCK!! "
    Silent Cartographer.

BAM.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @punkxblaze: thank you I was actually wondering, I almost put Halo into my 360 just to find out :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this preview, seriously it was sublime.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By yoshimitz707

The hidden meaning here is that taking note is for losers!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheHT

Dude... Duuuuuuude.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vaiz
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @punkxblaze: thank you I was actually wondering, I almost put Halo into my 360 just to find out :) "
    I live to serve, comrade.
    GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GoodKn1ght
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:
    I think you'd remember the Library level. It was awful. "
    Worst level i ever played...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.