Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

This Is A Poor Excuse For A Halo: Reach Preview

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By bellmont42
    @MattBodega said:
    " Another Giant Bomb article based on wild speculation, rumor, and half-remembered "things." Remember when Giant Bomb used to post only the meaningful and important articles? Now they're just like everyone else, posting "news" stories that have barely any news at all.

When is the GB crew going to get its act together and drop punk stringers like Jeff that are ruining the site?! "
    Sarcasm at its best.. I'm glad you're still writing articles here.(<- not sarcasm)
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#202  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The implications of this article for me are fairly clear: The single player is still halo.

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#203  Edited By Palaeomerus

Reading this "preview" was both a  disappointment and waste of my time.  I guess the guys trying to snark up a stinging defense for this "preview" enjoyed it and want more just like it or else maybe they think they are doing Giant bomb a favor. Whatevs.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#204  Edited By Floppypants

Funny, but I hope the review isn't just, "I forgot the specifics, but I had fun.  It's like Halo 3 but different."

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#205  Edited By big_jon
    @Floppypants said:
    "Funny, but I hope the review isn't just, "I forgot the specifics, but I had fun.  It's like Halo 3 but different." "

Agreed
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#206  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Good job Jeff, Thats why Your da Boss!

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#207  Edited By Stefan

hmmm can anyone decode this for me I think there is more to it:  " Sometimes my inability to parse and store level names is just my inability to parse and store level names, OK?"

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By stubbleman

Just to put my 2 cents in, when I read the title for this I thought you were calling reach a poor excuse for a Halo game. So when I clicked on it I was thinking "woah, drama." I guess in hind-sight you were just calling it a poor excuse for a preview.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By dvorak

So here's the review everyone wants to see: It's a Halo game. It's got better graphics. The multiplayer has new features.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#211  Edited By TepidShark

Jeff, it seems like the right method (most of the time) for previewing games to me. At this one you must have had all the time in the world to play through, but at something like E3 (where you limited time with each game) it would seem like a pain in the ass to be going between playing & jotting down notes at the same time.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Zereta

Just gonna say this now, since the initial "GB IS AWESOME" fog has faded on this article. 

This was embarrassing on all fronts for the website, I feel. Elaboration has been given throughout this thread but honestly, why go to a review event as a games journalist if you're not doing your job as a games journalist there?  

I hate to even say this but I feel like if we had removed the name Halo: Reach and replaced it with say, Modern Warfare 2, suddenly it would be have been crystal clear in the memory. 

Remembering names isn't rocket science. Remembering names shouldn't be difficult for someone so skilled and is a veteran in this business. Don't ruin rep with shit like this. Don't let your clear indifference towards the series be a barrier, as I feel it has now.    

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#213  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @capthavic: Probably true. It doesn't interest me at all. Although I am glad that it seems like the amount of people caring about Halo has been in steady decline since 2007. Three years ago this game would have been at mega-hype levels right now, but it's not. Even Dead Rising 2 seems to have more people pumped for it right now than Reach.
    WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By WEGGLES
    @cosmic said:
    " Sounds more like he forgot the names of the two levels he can cover, rather than what happened in them, so he just said some general things he likes about the game. "
    Nope. Jeff hates Halo. And The Xbox. And the PS3. And the Wii. And the PC. And games in general and only got into the business to give bad games good ratings and good games bad ratings so people would only play bad games and enjoy gaming as a whole less. 

It's unfortunate that something like this happened for a preview, but I honestly don't think I could name a "level" from a game other than Route Kanal, We Don't Go to Ravenholm and... that's about it.  Obviously I expect a bit more from a reviewer than me, but I don't find it completely unacceptable to not remember the names of levels.

I don't think this article is a snarky remark at Halo, I think it's just a reason why everyone else has a Halo Reach preview and GB doesn't, despite Jeff being at the event.
    capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#215  Edited By capthavic
    @PJ said:
    " @capthavic said:
    " If I had to write a preview/review for Reach it would simply be: "It's Halo. If you like Halo then you'll like this game. If you don't, then it won't change your mind"    I know that's pretty simple but I think it's an honest summation of the game. "
    What if Reach will change the mind of haters? Even though I'm a guy who only plays the campaign and a few matches online(never played more then 10 matches in a single Halo game), I can see that they have done some changes that COULD change the way you play the game significantly.  What I'm saying is that even though its a game in a long running series you should never judge an upcoming game based on the previous one. If that would be the case then Final Fantasy XIII would actually be a good game instead of the horrible piece of... well you get my point. Franky, this is the first time I'm really excited about a Halo game. I played every Halo game but never been all psycho about it. The games are good but nothing I look forward to, except for this one. "
    I understand what you are saying but I'm not talking about the quality of the game. As good as the changes look I don't foresee anything that will convert anyone who didn't like Halo already.
    JohnKiller118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By JohnKiller118

I already knew I'm going to buy Reach. 
    This article is actually better than most other previews.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#217  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @JohnKiller118 said:
    " I already knew I'm going to buy Reach. This article is actually better than most other previews. "
    Yeah I'll take an entertaining read over a redundant one any day :)
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#218  Edited By jeff
    @Zereta: I think you're missing the point. I went to the review event to prepare for a review of the game. Not to preview it. The mindsets for the two types of content are incredibly different, so extracting my casual, less-judgmental thoughts about two of the game's levels without going on to effectively talk about the game as a whole is next to impossible. It's like writing a preview of a review or something. 

So instead I decided to talk a little bit about the process of attending these events and about writing reviews. Sorry if they were too "disrespectful" for you to deal with.
    The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#219  Edited By The_Joker

I've played every halo game to completion and with that said, I can remember maybe 5 level names all together. It's even harder to remember where one picked up and the other ended. Jeff isn't saying Reach is bad. He's saying it's similar to nearly every halo that came before it in that the campaign may have fun and interesting levels but many of them blur together.
    Here is every halo 1-ODST level name I can remember offhand:
    Halo
    Truth and Reconciliation 
    Betrayal (I can't even remember the name of the one before it where you could hijack those banshees and skip the level. That Part was incredibly memorable yet I don't remember the Name)
    Keyes
    343 Guilty Spark (That one had the invisible covenant flood guy)
    The Library (Hardest level on legendary by far)
    I realize that those are all Halo 1... I think Halo 2 had a level called New Mombasa? ... I remember it started with "Oh I know what the ladies like".

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Zereta
    @Jeff: I'm not the expert here, no doubt. That's why I do come here and while I appreciate that with the lack of actual content for the "preview" of the review, you decided to talk about the way you reviewed games and etc. Which is fine, I feel. Its especially nice for me since this is a field I am very much looking to getting into in the near future. 

However though, maybe its just my lack of knowledge in this field that is the problem, but it is weird that other reviewers, who came to the event with similar intentions, did. Maybe its just a greater attention to those kinds of details that contributed to it, but it is sometime shocking for a reader and fan of a site, who in many occasions, is no doubt interested in hearing what journalists like yourself, Jeff, feel about the game. When you guys go out to events like this and get an opportunity to talk about it, I think its only natural for the people reading the site to expect an article talking about the game that it is supposed to be talking about. 

What we ended up getting is awesome, I really do appreciate it. But man, those guys spent 3 years developing the game. That was hours and days of hard work put in. And by asking the  Press to talk about the game, they simply want to get the press's opinions out there because like it or not, the final word on a game from you guys means a lot to a lot of people. In that case, minor details such as mission names, regardless of whether notes were taken or not, seems almost like a no-brainer to be remembered.  

Also, I feel like the entire issue that lead to the article being written the way it was could have been easily rectified by simply asking the developer what missions those were. They want word of their game to go out as well and I am quite sure that the moment the question was asked, they would have jumped on it and answered it because they do want you to talk about their game, not about how you couldn't remember the name and instead gave us an insight (an awesome one at that, very honest) into the game review event process. 

Maybe I've not gone anywhere in this reply. Its cool. I just felt that as a developer, the folks at Bungie could have maybe deserved a bit more of a shout out for their game. Developers, like I mention a lot, really just want people to talk about their game and something, which I feel is easily rectified with some questions, like this shouldn't be an issue. Regardless, I would also like to thank you for being honest and well, letting us know that this was due to the way you reviewed games, which generally is not an issue because the end review is always awesome. 

I appreciate the reply, Jeff. :D
    callmesteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By callmesteam

'Reaching' for headlines?  We're all semi-excited.  I clicked.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By WickedCobra03

Yeah, man, even games I buy, I will not remember names of objects, characters and even maps for weeks after buying and playing the game.  I usually just say "descriptor"-thingy until I get to really learning it.  

I am all for Jeff's up front attitude about it.  It is not that he hates the Halo games or whatever, he just didn't remember enough to write what he thought was a quality enough of a preview, so he gave us this, which I enjoyed much more.  I dunno, I am already pretty sure I was going to buy Halo: Reach anyways, so don't really need any previews to tell me.  I really don't like reading previews anyways just because I hate games being ruined.  I like going into games without consuming every piece of pre-release content out there on the interwebs.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

balls

NikkiButler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By NikkiButler

hmhm

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By allgrinzz

I'm... not sure what to make of this...   "hey.. reach was a pretty game, but i don't remember a damn thing about it.. there was shooting and stuff... so.. whatever"   I like real opinions on games, but.... for the game I'm looking forward too more then anything this year.. kind of a bummer here. :(

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By big_jon
    @allgrinzz said:
    "I'm... not sure what to make of this...   "hey.. reach was a pretty game, but i don't remember a damn thing about it.. there was shooting and stuff... so.. whatever"   I like real opinions on games, but.... for the game I'm looking forward too more then anything this year.. kind of a bummer here. :( "

This is how I felt too.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#227  Edited By FlipperDesert

Well, I guess I was gonna get Reach anyway.

So there are stealthy missions and Warthogs in there, right? Are there, say, stealthy Warthogs to mix things up?

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By TheWesman

Sounds like the Halo games are just like the Madden games to Jeff.  Nothing innovative, nothing to keep his attention.  I'm kinda right there with him.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By ShaneDev

I love how some people are still trying to find some hidden meaning in this thing despite the purpose of this being to show that their was no hidden meaning in what Jeff said and that he liked what he played of it.  

I would have preferred if you just didn't say anything or just said you weren't going to bother with a preview given the games out in a 2 weeks anyway.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @allgrinzz said:
     "hey.. reach was a pretty game, but i don't remember a damn thing about it.. there was shooting and stuff... so.. whatever"
    I didn't get the impression he didn't remember anything, but that he couldn't remember what he was allowed to discuss or not (as per the NDA).
    ELBUMBLERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By ELBUMBLERO

Hey, Jeff, that's all right! I can't remember which Halo game is which anyway.

gegnre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By gegnre

Only Masters can Nobly  march through foreign territory and come out on the other end with a higher kill count and no recollection of what exactly transpired. Kill, Jeff, just kill.  Notes are for grunts. 

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Piranesi

Singleplayer:  

The shiny big metal suited man shoots laser gun thingy at many purple English speaking aliens, something about space, gruff commander person, perky computer AI robot, shiny guys go for a ride in bouncy jeep, more things about space that are bollocks but mean't to be taken dead seriously, quick fan service, use sniper weapon once, choral music so must be entering impressive bit, final bit about space, unsatisfying end sequence, have nice cup of tea. 

Multiplayer:  

Get shot by 8 year old, someone says something racist / homophobic / about your mother, get shot by another 8 year old, repeat. 

JohnKiller118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By JohnKiller118
    @Piranesi:  The Covenant will be speaking their own language in this game...  
    Also, the reason why they speak english in the other games is because the UNSC developed translation technology that allows people to understand what the aliens are saying.
    Those shiny armored suits give a better explanation for regenerating health than "lol im usin ma manliness 2 heel" like in CoD.
    If you know that sci-fi "bollocks" isn't meant to be taken seriously, then why are you bitching about it? 
    Fan service is awesome. Especially since this is Bungie's last Halo game. 
    You haven't played the game yet, so you don't know if the ending will be unsatisfying. From what I heard, it's awesome. 

Stop sucking. 
    Use the "mute" option on players annoy you.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By zombie2011

kind of a bummer reading this. Reach is probably the biggest game coming out this fall and this preview is half assed.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Zereta

Well at least Jeff seems to be playing more of Reach. Seeing him get stabbed in the face in IGN's videos in multiplayer was awesome :D 

Home come GB doesn't get video content like that? I'm assuming that you guys don't bring video capture equipment to review events. Which is respectable I have to say.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeff:  I never really took what you said to be any indication of the game being bad or good, but we appreciate the insight into the review process on your side. I know everyone has a different approach. I look forward to the review proper, which, by the sounds of it, this event was not intended for. Keep up the great work
    Avatar image for shazb0t--defunct
    shazb0t--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't worry, Jeff, you're awesome anyway.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @TheWesman said:
    " Sounds like the Halo games are just like the Madden games to Jeff.  Nothing innovative, nothing to keep his attention.  I'm kinda right there with him. "
    A sequel that doesn't innovate? That describes 95% of sequels ever made. By that logic.  

Halo is not the Madden of video games (That's bulls***), that would be Dynasty Warriors.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#240  Edited By Azteck
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @allgrinzz said:
     "hey.. reach was a pretty game, but i don't remember a damn thing about it.. there was shooting and stuff... so.. whatever"
    I didn't get the impression he didn't remember anything, but that he couldn't remember what he was allowed to discuss or not (as per the NDA). "
    People seem unable to get this. He's never saying that Reach is a bad game, and the comments saying that he does bug me.
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @Azteck said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @allgrinzz said:
    I didn't get the impression he didn't remember anything, but that he couldn't remember what he was allowed to discuss or not (as per the NDA). "
    People seem unable to get this. He's never saying that Reach is a bad game, and the comments saying that he does bug me. "
    b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but halo sux! teh half-life rulez!!!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @DoctorOptimist said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @allgrinzz said:
    People seem unable to get this. He's never saying that Reach is a bad game, and the comments saying that he does bug me. "
    b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but halo sux! teh half-life rulez!!! "
    lol, the funniest part of you're sentiment is that most of the Halo-haters probably aren't even backing a game as solid as HL2. 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By RsistncE

He probably can't remember any of it because Halo is a very far from memorable and much closer to being an unremarkable, mediocre game.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By iKANNIBAL
    @DoctorOptimist said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @allgrinzz said:
    Whatta ya saying? Half-Life does rulez!!! 

It really does though D: truly.
    viper3der

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By viper3der
    @Vager: Way to be fallacious.. o_O
    rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By rapid
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " Should have bought "My Notebook: Carbon". Would have solved your note problem. "
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Claude

Hey Jeff, the word on the street ain't good. People are calling you unprofessional and it's not even Friday.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#248  Edited By recroulette

How did I miss reading this?
    This and the comments made my day.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @DoctorOptimist said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @allgrinzz said:
    lol, the funniest part of you're sentiment is that most of the Halo-haters probably aren't even backing a game as solid as HL2.  "
    Actually, every Valve fanboy is a Halo hater. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Valve fan myself, but the fanboys are some of the worst in the gaming industry. They constantly spew bulls*** about how Half-Life 2 is "de gretst fps evar!!" or "greatest game of all timez". You know, being fanatical over something subjective. Halo fanboys are bad, but the're angels compared to Valve fanboys. IAnd  like the Half-Life series more than the Halo franchise. 

@iKANNIBAL said:
    " @DoctorOptimist said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @allgrinzz said:
    Whatta ya saying? Half-Life does rulez!!!   It really does though D: truly. "
    It does rule, I'm just poking fun at the obnoxious Valve fanboys. Halo fanboys are bad, but Valve fanboys just never shut up. 

@RsistncE
    said:
    " He probably can't remember any of it because Halo is a very far from memorable and much closer to being an unremarkable, mediocre game. "
    Oh for f*** sake! He experiences the same thing with every game he previews, he never implied that it was lame or uninteresting or whatever. Take your Halo hatred spewing someplace else, this forum isn't suitable. Go to the escapistmagazine.com or gametrailers.com's forums if you want to seem "cool" for bashing Halo by all of the brainless Halo haters.

Fun Fact: He scored Halo 3 a 9.5 while he was at GameSpot, and stated in his video review that Halo 2 was a hot game. He also scored Halo 3 ODST 4 stars. Which means he likes the series very much.
    Wes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#250  Edited By Wes

Jeff! This is incredibly unprofessional! You would never make it in the world of, professionals? Professional professional. I'm a professional. I also don't think for myself, all I do is spout off other peoples opinions. Like a professional.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.