Well it's Halo...

#1 Posted by stunningsteve (15 posts) -

About a month ago I was super excited about Halo: Reach; but now with more and more previews coming in and other games around the corner the Halo shine is starting to fade for me.  This weeks bombcast is really starting to make me question if I should purchase this or not with the guys sentiments being that "it's a Halo game."  Was I expecting too much or are other out there becoming not as excited about this release as they once were?

#2 Posted by MystDragon3k (123 posts) -

Halo has refined FPS controls on a console. It has graphics on par, if not ahead of most big release titles out there. Its got a variety of weapons, abilities, vehicles, and tools readily available to make any encounter with an enemy diffrent and unique. It has a polished, and well crafted campaign. It has a wide variety of gametypes and maps, fully customizable beaten out only by PC gaming. Its fully supported by Microsoft with DLC, tweaks and patches, and strong servers. Its got longevity, a loyal fanbase, and lots of user-freindly tools to craft your personal fun experience.
 
"its a Halo game" ...yeah, your point? A Halo game seems like its worth the money to me.

#3 Posted by DystopiaX (5316 posts) -
 I was looking at the gameplay and I think it may be the best since CE...no dumb starting weapons (pretty much always spawn with a pistol, if not DMR). The AA's are actually useful, a lot of the maps look good, I like the way the game feels and the single-shot weapons' power, as well as the Elite/Spartan balance, etc. The revamped melee system looks awesome as well; nerfing the CQB is a really good move IMO. Firefight is always fun, and FF matchmaking, FF versus, etc. should add to the game's replayability. No one has done the community site stuff better than bungie, and are still among the only ones with a good theater mode. Forge mode is still unique, etc. yeah it's a halo game but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not like it's exactly the same, and they've changed enough and made enough improvements to warrant a purchase IMO.
#4 Posted by mastrbiggy (229 posts) -

Wait wut? Halo Reach is Halo game?  Hold the fucking phone!

#5 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
@MystDragon3k said:
" Halo has refined FPS controls on a console. It has graphics on par, if not ahead of most big release titles out there. Its got a variety of weapons, abilities, vehicles, and tools readily available to make any encounter with an enemy diffrent and unique. It has a polished, and well crafted campaign. It has a wide variety of gametypes and maps, fully customizable beaten out only by PC gaming. Its fully supported by Microsoft with DLC, tweaks and patches, and strong servers. Its got longevity, a loyal fanbase, and lots of user-freindly tools to craft your personal fun experience.  "its a Halo game" ...yeah, your point? A Halo game seems like its worth the money to me. "
God bless America!
 
*sniff*
#6 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

As other have said here their is nothing wrong with it being another Halo game and it seems to the best Halo game yet so wait for the reviews and see if its worth your time.  I am super excited about it and cant wait to play. The Giantbomb guys aren't exactly the biggest fans of Halo, so maybe you should check out what other sites think of the game as well to see what the story is.

#7 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

The game will benefit from its popularity online and the community for the game will be massive...so even if it's shit - at least you can all moan about it at the same time, whilst agreeing that there is in fact nothing better to do.

#8 Posted by I_love_Eva_Braun (481 posts) -

It’s cool to hate Halo but in this instance I have no desire to be cool.I can't wait to play Reach,and I have really high hopes for the game

#9 Posted by Dantekiller (206 posts) -
@mastrbiggy: @mastrbiggy said:
" Wait wut? Halo Reach is Halo game?  Hold the fucking phone! "
is it true OMG lol
#10 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

The Reach beta pretty much nullified all of the preview material out there for me. Given that I've literally played it for 25+ hours, and loved it, I can't see the final game disappointing all that much.
 
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about Reach coverage on Giant Bomb. The crew just isn't really into Halo.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Buy it, don't like it, return it.

#12 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

A Halo game plays like a Halo game? 
 
OMG!

#13 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

I hope they let Drew in on the podcast when it comes out so we can hear what he thinks, because I'm pretty sure he's a Halo fan. Or maybe have him in the TNT that week.

#14 Posted by Vinny_Says (5713 posts) -

do you like halo? then buy it. If you don't like halo. then don't buy it. 
 
@Burns09 said:

" I hope they let Drew in on the podcast when it comes out so we can hear what he thinks, because I'm pretty sure he's a Halo fan. Or maybe have him in the TNT that week. "

yes drew would be ideal to talk about halo reach...just like jeff would be for black ops or vinny for a ratchet & clank
#15 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
" do you like halo? then buy it. If you don't like halo. then don't buy it. 
 
@Burns09 said:
" I hope they let Drew in on the podcast when it comes out so we can hear what he thinks, because I'm pretty sure he's a Halo fan. Or maybe have him in the TNT that week. "
yes drew would be ideal to talk about halo reach...just like jeff would be for black ops or vinny for a ratchet & clank "
Yeah, Drew's the only one who seems to understand that spraying with AR's and melee isn't how your meant to play Halo.  Watch some of the Gamesradar footage, Jeff's on there and that's all he does.
#16 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Why would it not be a halo game? Did you think it was going to be a bioware rpg? Well I can see why you're upset then...

#17 Posted by stunningsteve (15 posts) -

I was not trying to come off as negative as my post sounds.  Yes, I know it is a Halo game but I suppose I was maybe expecting a little too much evolution out of it and was wondering if there was anyone else who was sharing the same thought.  Once again, not trying to just bash on it for no reason and I'm sure I'll be playing it in 2 weeks; just had a thought after listening to the latest Bombcast that I thought I would share.

#18 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Yeah, listening to the Bombcast kinda got to me too, especially when I heard Ryan say "Can I still Rush with the AR and melee?" 
It's not a bad tactic, persay, but there are so many more! I don't think any of them are super into Halo, and ODST brought alot of peoples' expectations down. 
 
Reach is a full game, its gameplay is much like that of CE's, and there are tons of gameplay options to mess with! 
I know I'll be freaking happy, come September 14.
#19 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

I'm not a Halo fan, but from what I've seen it seems like they have done a pretty good job changing the formula just enough to make it feel somewhat new while not enough to anger hardcore Halo fans. In fact, I have more appreciation for Reach after seeing the Black Ops footage from yesterday... That is some Call of Duty ass Call of Duty.

#20 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

Honestly i thought Jeff sounded more positive then i was expecting. He's never struck me as a big Halo fan (i could be totally off) but from the sounds of it he thought it seemed like a really solid game. 
The fact that "it's a halo game" i don't see as negative at all. People love that game because it's got a certain feel to it, if you change that core it's no longer "Halo". 
I loved the beta an I think Reach is gonna deliver big time. Bungie seems to be swinging for the fences on this one. 

#21 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

People are very selective about what they like to see evolve 
 
In one sentence iv'e heard critics slate pokemon and God of War 3 for being basically the same game as its predecessors with a fresh lick of paint - and then praise starcraft 2 and street fighter for 'not changing the formula and being faithful to their predecessors' 
Halo appears to fall into the latter category

#22 Edited by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:

" People are very selective about what they like to see evolve  In one sentence iv'e heard critics slate pokemon and God of War 3 for being basically the same game as its predecessors with a fresh lick of paint - and then praise starcraft 2 and street fighter for 'not changing the formula and being faithful to their predecessors' Halo appears to fall into the latter category "

I can't speak to pokemon as I haven't played any of them.  (They didn't start coming out until I was in my 20s, and I didn't really do handhelds until the DS forced me to).  However, I agree with the critics in your above sentence.  Starcraft 2 and Street Fighter stayed true to their roots without feeling stale by making some smart changes and updates. (i.e. they evolved without killing the core gameplay) Additionally, in the case of Street Fighter, it returned to its roots in a way that brought a lot of people back that didn't like the direction the series had taken over the past 10-15 years.  
 
 In my opinion God of War 3 stayed true to its roots but didn't really make the changes to make it feel fresh and superior to its predecessors.  It essentially felt like the same damn game again but with better graphics.  It was still a good game, but not great.  It didn't help that it came so shortly on the heels of the HD remakes of the two previous games which both did essentially what GoW 3 did, but GoW did it first and GoW 2 did it better.   
 
It will be very interesting to see whether Reach's small changes make it better or if it is simply prettier.  The previews make it seem like they made the type of incremental changes that could both make it feel fresh and (like Street Fighter) make it play in a way that makes players remember why they liked Halo:CE so much in the first place.  There is no way players will no for sure until they play the final product for themselves.
#23 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

if you expected a bungie developed halo game to be anything other then halo, then you are retarded good sir

#24 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Of course a Halo game is going to be a Halo game
They said it from the start
From what I've seen and heard and played (beta) of it so far it looks like a really polished up, well thought out final game
On the contrary, I'm getting more and more hyped about this

#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7459 posts) -

PISTOL PISTOL PISTOL PISTOL PISTOL

#26 Posted by LiquidPrince (15968 posts) -

Halo Reach is a Halo game... What the hell, since when?

#27 Posted by TalonLardner (13 posts) -

There isn't anything wrong with feeling a bit burnt out on Halo. Heck, people feel burnt out on normally good things like chocolate, candies, TV, all sorts of things, and that doesn't mean that the item they burnt out on is bad, it just means that they had their fill of that item for the moment. If anything, you can always pick up Reach when you are ready and willing to play it instead of picking it up at launch.

#28 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

And that's not a bad thing. Every time I play Halo It's just plain fun, and playing it with friends( Split-Screen) is an experience that no other game has ever been able to reproduce for me.

#29 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -

Not only is it a Halo game, it's what a Halo game should have been after Halo: CE.

#30 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@Bigrhyno said:
" I'm not a Halo fan, but from what I've seen it seems like they have done a pretty good job changing the formula just enough to make it feel somewhat new while not enough to anger hardcore Halo fans. In fact, I have more appreciation for Reach after seeing the Black Ops footage from yesterday... That is some Call of Duty ass Call of Duty. "
Wait, wasn't Halo: CE your favorite game of 2001?
#31 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@Jasonofindy said:
" @OmegaPirate said:

" People are very selective about what they like to see evolve  In one sentence iv'e heard critics slate pokemon and God of War 3 for being basically the same game as its predecessors with a fresh lick of paint - and then praise starcraft 2 and street fighter for 'not changing the formula and being faithful to their predecessors' Halo appears to fall into the latter category "

I can't speak to pokemon as I haven't played any of them.  (They didn't start coming out until I was in my 20s, and I didn't really do handhelds until the DS forced me to).  However, I agree with the critics in your above sentence.  Starcraft 2 and Street Fighter stayed true to their roots without feeling stale by making some smart changes and updates. (i.e. they evolved without killing the core gameplay) Additionally, in the case of Street Fighter, it returned to its roots in a way that brought a lot of people back that didn't like the direction the series had taken over the past 10-15 years.    In my opinion God of War 3 stayed true to its roots but didn't really make the changes to make it feel fresh and superior to its predecessors.  It essentially felt like the same damn game again but with better graphics.  It was still a good game, but not great.  It didn't help that it came so shortly on the heels of the HD remakes of the two previous games which both did essentially what GoW 3 did, but GoW did it first and GoW 2 did it better.    It will be very interesting to see whether Reach's small changes make it better or if it is simply prettier.  The previews make it seem like they made the type of incremental changes that could both make it feel fresh and (like Street Fighter) make it play in a way that makes players remember why they liked Halo:CE so much in the first place.  There is no way players will no for sure until they play the final product for themselves. "
Oh i totally agree mate - the refinements made in games such as starcraft 2 and street fighter 4 (hell i even love the additions form street fighter four to super!) totally justify their existence . 
I was talking purely about all the games being based on their predecessors on its own - sorry if i came across as bitching xD
#32 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -
@DoctorOptimist said:
" @Bigrhyno said:
" I'm not a Halo fan, but from what I've seen it seems like they have done a pretty good job changing the formula just enough to make it feel somewhat new while not enough to anger hardcore Halo fans. In fact, I have more appreciation for Reach after seeing the Black Ops footage from yesterday... That is some Call of Duty ass Call of Duty. "
Wait, wasn't Halo: CE your favorite game of 2001? "
I guess I should clarify. I haven't been a Halo fan since the first. Specifically, I don't feel the concept translates well to multiplayer, but if people enjoy it then that's great.
#33 Posted by A_Wet_Shamwow (230 posts) -
@Fjordson said:
" The Reach beta pretty much nullified all of the preview material out there for me. Given that I've literally played it for 25+ hours, and loved it, I can't see the final game disappointing all that much.  Also, I wouldn't worry too much about Reach coverage on Giant Bomb. The crew just isn't really into Halo. "
''
#34 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@Bigrhyno said:
" @DoctorOptimist said:
" @Bigrhyno said:
" I'm not a Halo fan, but from what I've seen it seems like they have done a pretty good job changing the formula just enough to make it feel somewhat new while not enough to anger hardcore Halo fans. In fact, I have more appreciation for Reach after seeing the Black Ops footage from yesterday... That is some Call of Duty ass Call of Duty. "
Wait, wasn't Halo: CE your favorite game of 2001? "
I guess I should clarify. I haven't been a Halo fan since the first. Specifically, I don't feel the concept translates well to multiplayer, but if people enjoy it then that's great. "
Somewhat the same here, but I loved Halo: CE's multi-player on split-screen. The campaign and story has certainly become more lackluster after Combat Evolved. While I did enjoy Halo 2 & 3's multi-player, Bungie certainly dumb downed the mechanics in numerous aspects. With inclusions like: duel-wielding, tighter auto-aim, floaty physics, no fall damage, melee dashes, and removal of health bars. 
 
Halo Reach (Judging from the beta) played a lot like Halo: CE and updated it without dumbing it down, which is fantastic.
#35 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

I was hoping they would push the squad side of it (and the early release stuff kinda gave the impression they would).  Woulda been way more interesting, imo.  
 
Fingers crossed Clint Hocking went to work on Republic Commando 2 I guess.

#36 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -
@DoctorOptimist said:
" @Bigrhyno said:
" @DoctorOptimist said:
" @Bigrhyno said:
" I'm not a Halo fan, but from what I've seen it seems like they have done a pretty good job changing the formula just enough to make it feel somewhat new while not enough to anger hardcore Halo fans. In fact, I have more appreciation for Reach after seeing the Black Ops footage from yesterday... That is some Call of Duty ass Call of Duty. "
Wait, wasn't Halo: CE your favorite game of 2001? "
I guess I should clarify. I haven't been a Halo fan since the first. Specifically, I don't feel the concept translates well to multiplayer, but if people enjoy it then that's great. "
Halo Reach (Judging from the beta) played a lot like Halo: CE and updated it without dumbing it down, which is fantastic. "
That's good to hear (I didn't have any luck getting a code for myself). I'll likely get it day one. Even if I still don't like the multiplayer, I'm sure the single player will be great.
#37 Posted by Warihay (481 posts) -

Considering it's called Halo Reach, I think it's a good thing that it is a Halo game. I don't know what you were expecting from a FPS Halo from Bungie.

#38 Posted by Sander (414 posts) -

Yeah, it's most definitely a Halo game. But the addition of the semi automatic scoped rifle has made a nice difference; it's deadly and very accurate- almost no need for the sniper rifle.

#39 Posted by Mono1213 (17 posts) -
@stunningsteve: 
Jeff's recap was one of the more blah I've heard. There are a few other podcast's that have been much more glowing. Not to say they are right and Jeff is wrong... its a taste thing. But don't get the impression that most previews have been down on it. One thing Jeff said was directly refuted on the weekend confirmed podcast. Jeff said you don't get a sense of being part of a larger battle, but the guys on the other podcast said there is a scene where you look over a ridge and you see an entire battle raging with troops and ground and air support on both sides. It is totally possible that Jeff just didn't look over that ridge.
#40 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

Jeff seems to have come around on the game pretty significantly, which is a pretty big turn seeing as how they were bagging on the game pretty hard for not having RPG elements back when the beta went up.

Online
#41 Posted by DoctorOptimist (502 posts) -
@Mono1213 said:
" @stunningsteve:  Jeff's recap was one of the more blah I've heard. There are a few other podcast's that have been much more glowing. Not to say they are right and Jeff is wrong... its a taste thing. But don't get the impression that most previews have been down on it. One thing Jeff said was directly refuted on the weekend confirmed podcast. Jeff said you don't get a sense of being part of a larger battle, but the guys on the other podcast said there is a scene where you look over a ridge and you see an entire battle raging with troops and ground and air support on both sides. It is totally possible that Jeff just didn't look over that ridge. "
I believe Jeff Gerstmann's credibility is slowly dropping after claiming Modern Warfare 2's as his favorite game of 2009 and the fact he never shuts ups about it in his podcast. I still like Gerstmann, but he does loses some his credibility here and there. 
 
And no, I'm not a anti-COD Halo fanboy. I'm was actually a fan of the COD series. I thought every installment was great (With the exception of the fairly decent 3 and the poorly made 6th generation console version), up until Modern Warfare 2. I hope Treyarch revitalize the series once greatness.
#42 Posted by Mono1213 (17 posts) -
@DoctorOptimist said:
" @Mono1213 said:
" @stunningsteve:  Jeff's recap was one of the more blah I've heard. There are a few other podcast's that have been much more glowing. Not to say they are right and Jeff is wrong... its a taste thing. But don't get the impression that most previews have been down on it. One thing Jeff said was directly refuted on the weekend confirmed podcast. Jeff said you don't get a sense of being part of a larger battle, but the guys on the other podcast said there is a scene where you look over a ridge and you see an entire battle raging with troops and ground and air support on both sides. It is totally possible that Jeff just didn't look over that ridge. "
I believe Jeff Gerstmann's credibility is slowly dropping after claiming Modern Warfare 2's as his favorite game of 2009 and the fact he never shuts ups about it in his podcast. I still like Gerstmann, but he does loses some his credibility here and there.  And no, I'm not a anti-COD Halo fanboy. I'm was actually a fan of the COD series. I thought every installment was great (With the exception of the fairly decent 3 and the poorly made 6th generation console version), up until Modern Warfare 2. I hope Treyarch revitalize the series once greatness. "
That wasn't my point at all. I'm not sure how anyone's gaming preference negatively or positively affects their credibility. I was simply saying some other previewers seemed a bit more upbeat so the OP shouldn't get down on the game.
#43 Posted by rhacer63 (67 posts) -

I'm just the opposite of the OP. I was not ecstatic about Reach (I'm too big of a BFBC2 fan), but I loved much of what I saw in the beta, and I've loved what I've seen in the interim. Bungie's two panels at PAX were hugely entertaining and informative and it was a delight to listen to how excited they are about the game.  The closer we get to the time I get to visit Best Buy and get my copy of the Legendary Edition the more pumped I get.

#44 Posted by big_jon (5734 posts) -

Reach will be a great game I am sure. 
 
2010 is a great year for games.
#45 Posted by flufflogic (289 posts) -

I think "It's a Halo game" is a great summary of it: every Halo game's release has been a Big Deal for me, and I've enjoyed playing through them immensely. If this will do the same, I'm hyped I will be the same for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.