What's you're favorite level in Reach?

#1 Edited by Coldwired (17 posts) -

Not only because it's so different from whats come before, but the entire atmosphere and epicness of the thing is just amazing IMO.
 What do you guys (and girls possibly) think?

edit: added spoiler warning. Sorry if I've ruined anything!
#2 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

I don't know yet. This game is surprisingly good though, LOVE the campaign. I have three levels left.

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Oh dear, picking one is pretty hard...
I guess I liked the beginning of the last one, where you can make a huge drop for the achievement. (You and Emile heading for the shipyard mission)
Lots of good combat there, also Sword Base was crazy with all the elites, but the city part in the park was great too!

I can't pick!

#5 Posted by Fattony12000 (7404 posts) -

New Alexandria was epic.

#6 Posted by R3Qui4M (408 posts) -
#7 Edited by dagas (2832 posts) -

Unlike say Halo 1 there was no one level that stood out as much worse or better than the others. I can't think of any level that stood out as being particularly good actually. Not saying it wasn't good, it certainly was, but the quality was a lot more even compared to previous Halo games.

#8 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
That one stood out the most to me, though every level was top quality, if you ask me, so it's hard to pick just one. 
#9 Posted by Vinny_Says (5706 posts) -

the cave reminded me of Assault on the control room from Combat Evolved, when you first see the pillar of Autumn and then Jacob Keys was pretty dope, fucking SPACE, that level was awesome....so many great things about that game!

#10 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

They were all pretty good, none especially stood out all that much to me...I guess the last two. The one near the beginning too where you go into sword base and it's all fine and then you come back later and it's all completely effed up. 

(Didn't bother with spoiler tags because a) I don't know how to use them and b) If you come into this thread you should expect spoilers.)

#11 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

The level after the credits.

#12 Posted by foodmonster (37 posts) -

I found that my anticipation for a massive set piece ending kinda spoiled the last 3rd of the game, but going back and playing I am loving the campaign. Something about the sound, damage, difficulty and everything just makes halo feel fresh.

#13 Posted by gunbladewarrior (14 posts) -

The Covenant Corvette level in the 6th mission. It is cool that the first part of it in zero Gravity.

#14 Posted by gave1 (129 posts) -

about halfway through and I have enjoyed all of the levels.  Except the first one, but that wasn't really a level ;-)

#15 Posted by Bones8677 (3241 posts) -

New Alexandria shows that Bungie artists should really be architects. I want to live in a city designed by them. ^_^

#16 Edited by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

I liked the very last level (after the credits) the most...   

I also really liked New Alexandria. The night-club-esque room with the hunters was awesome. If you looked off in the distance while you were flying the helicopter you could see an area of the place that was burning and getting the fuck lasered out of it. It contrasted nicely with the eerie purple glow of the rest of the level. Really stood out to me for some reason. On that note, I also want to say how fucking awesome the scenery was in that game. There aren't many games that come out where I literally just stop and look off in the distance. It was beautiful.

#17 Posted by Wasara88 (332 posts) -

I love the campaing and as an experience the first level was the best for me,but gameplay wise i would probably say either Exodus (it's the one in New Alexandria) The package (under sword base) or Nightfall. Overall Reach is one of the most best singleplayer campaings i have played. I'm a huge Halo fan but i have honestly felt that after CE the series has gone downhill and now Reach came and redeemed it all.

#18 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Lone Wolf definitely. It brings so much messages not just in the game universe but beyond that.

It's heartbreaking yet it's a necessary close which shouldn't be replaced.

#19 Edited by Teran (877 posts) -

The first 'real' level, Winter Contingency was my favorite because I realized this wasn't going to be just another Halo.  The cutscene on the other side of the youtube link is largely why this level is my favorite.  Minor spoilers, nothing really relevant to the story when watched out of context... unless you're coming into this game thinking the Covenant aren't on Reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvODwcrfeVc

#20 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I think Tip of the Spear and Long Night of Solace together are my favorite. I think those two levels really get across the idea that despite whatever small victories you might achieve, you're fucked. 

I will say that my least favorite level by far was New Alexandria. Unlike the Sabre from Long Night of Solace, the Falcon was really sluggish, the weapon on it wasn't very satisfying to use, and that whole sequence went on wayyy too long. 
#21 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

I thought that the one in the Hornet was pretty fun. Also, the thing after the credits.

#22 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -

Hard too say, there were a lot of good ones.  

I will get back to you on this.
#23 Posted by Tyashki (213 posts) -

Space level, definitely. Made me want some multiplayer space battles.

#24 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -
#25 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -

I have a real affinity for Winter Contingency. Not sure why.  

I think Nightfall's probably my least favorite. Just sort of meh. Was never a fan of the sniper stuff in Halo. 

#26 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Winter Contingency with that sweet cinematic. So badass when Jorge slams the door shut to lock them all in. 

#27 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@Burns09: That whole moment with the Zealot Elites is fucking incredible. Really, really impressive how intense that cutscene is.
#28 Posted by Donos (1195 posts) -

That cinematic was the high point of the entire game for me, I just wish they could've carried over that style more often, instead of making all the other first person bits you doing a face-plant then getting up.

Favourite level was probably the night level in the Falcon, because of the feeling of freedom I guess. Least favourite was near the end, fighting through the broken ships with no ammo against instant kill infinite ammo fuel rod gun elites with quintuple overshield.

#29 Edited by Teran (877 posts) -

@Donos:   I mentioned the cinematic earlier, it is one of the best choreographed fight scenes I've seen.  It practically oozes style showing two teams of elite soldiers going at it and basically ending in a draw, though the elites know they're going to lose.

#30 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

What's the level where you assassinate the elite on the cliff in the very beginning? I'm drawing a blank here. But that would be my favorite. Picking off grunts with a sniper rifle never gets old.

#31 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU: Nightfall. Love your avatar picture, by the way.
#32 Posted by BibleDoctor (698 posts) -
@Burns09 said:
" Winter Contingency with that sweet cinematic. So badass when Jorge slams the door shut to lock them all in.  "
That whole cutscene was awesome, the music helped quite a bit. However my favorite level has to be "Lone Wolf". Seeing your Spartan finally go down was something else.
#33 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

My favorite at least the first time through was the space level when you board the covenant ship and there is no gravity. Throwing grenades was awesome and the design of the ship was great to look at, oh and the ending of that level was one of the best moments in the game.

#34 Edited by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.