Why I am slowly disliking Reach.

Posted by krystians (402 posts) -

First I want to say that I am in no way a fanboy of any game. But the things that are pissing me off right now with reach is the fact that I work hard to get Cr, and some snot nosed punk gets a higher rank then me and I do more work, and play much harder.

I really feel like in this game I am not really working towards anything. Like I wanna know that the guys I am playing who are captains and such are really good, not just some little kid farming for Cr. I fell like I am playing the game and not getting anywhere.

I know that I should still play the game, and enjoy it for what it is, and play it because a game is meant to me played. Unfortunately we live in a time where video games have some sort of reward, and I want that reward. At least that was the case in Halo 3.

I hope that Bungie does some sort or update where there is a separate ranking system, but I have a feeling that it's all but a dream.

I know that some will disagree with me, and start bashing me for being a COD fanboy which I am not. So save your breath and don't bother as I don't hate Halo not do I love COD. This is just my opinion, and I hope some can continue this topic. 

#1 Posted by krystians (402 posts) -

First I want to say that I am in no way a fanboy of any game. But the things that are pissing me off right now with reach is the fact that I work hard to get Cr, and some snot nosed punk gets a higher rank then me and I do more work, and play much harder.

I really feel like in this game I am not really working towards anything. Like I wanna know that the guys I am playing who are captains and such are really good, not just some little kid farming for Cr. I fell like I am playing the game and not getting anywhere.

I know that I should still play the game, and enjoy it for what it is, and play it because a game is meant to me played. Unfortunately we live in a time where video games have some sort of reward, and I want that reward. At least that was the case in Halo 3.

I hope that Bungie does some sort or update where there is a separate ranking system, but I have a feeling that it's all but a dream.

I know that some will disagree with me, and start bashing me for being a COD fanboy which I am not. So save your breath and don't bother as I don't hate Halo not do I love COD. This is just my opinion, and I hope some can continue this topic. 

#2 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

You're disliking it because you feel the game is being unfair towards you, if you really want to enjoy the game then the only way you can do that is to let go of this feeling that you want to be ranked up as high as all the credit farmers.

#3 Edited by ProfessorEss (7255 posts) -

I'm not gonna bash you or call you a CoD fanboy, but I do think you're being a little petty.
I think it's awesome that no matter what you're in the mood for, anything you do in the game works towards your overall progression.

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I'm already Major Grade 2 and I can assure you there was no insane marathons involved.
I play maybe an hour or two per day if I can find the time and I mostly just play Big Team Battle.

The game itself suffers from a lot of other faults, which are more important then dudes with a high rank.
I rather have em fix some weapons and spawnpoints then focus on those kids who want to look like the Master Chief.

#5 Posted by Peacemaker (1101 posts) -

To be fair it's a game, people try and get somewhere as quickly as possible.  Just think about it this way.  You are actually having fun with the game while they sit there and just play gruntpocalypse or whatever.

#6 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
@krystians said:
"   First I want to say that I am in no way a fanboy of any game. But the things that are pissing me off right now with reach is the fact that I work hard to get Cr, and some snot nosed punk gets a higher rank then me and I do more work, and play much harder. I really feel like in this game I am not really working towards anything. Like I wanna know that the guys I am playing who are captains and such are really good, not just some little kid farming for Cr. I fell like I am playing the game and not getting anywhere. I know that I should still play the game, and enjoy it for what it is, and play it because a game is meant to me played. Unfortunately we live in a time where video games have some sort of reward, and I want that reward. At least that was the case in Halo 3. I hope that Bungie does some sort or update where there is a separate ranking system, but I have a feeling that it's all but a dream. I know that some will disagree with me, and start bashing me for being a COD fanboy which I am not. So save your breath and don't bother as I don't hate Halo not do I love COD. This is just my opinion, and I hope some can continue this topic.  "
WTF does any of that mean? Snot nosed punks with higher ranks than you? What?! How about you learn to not give a shit about everyone else, and just enjoy the actual game. The ranking system means nothing at all. If you care about competitive gameplay then....well, I can't suggest Arena cause that sucks too, but just keep on playing and your trueskill will balance out and you'll start getting into good matches. A multiplayer game should be played for the fucking experience of the actual gameplay, not just for getting a new shiny symbol next to your name that nobody else gives a shit about. The 'reward' of playing Halo is the fun, it's fucking fun to play. If you aren't getting any fun from it and feel like all you want is to rank up fast and unlock new stuff then wait for Black Ops.  

And then you talk about the Halo 3 ranking system....what!??! I truly don't understand what the point of your post is. Are you saying you want something similar to the thrill of getting to general again? Go play Arena and aim for the top 1% of Onyx if that's what you care about. I think the Arena system sucks balls but it definitely gives you something to work for if you really want to try and prove you're the best. 
#7 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

Fuck rewards. I feel like cod and achievements have ruined many games because people just play for their metascore rather than for fun. As for me, I'm done until mlg comes out with their bitchin settings. Fallout until then.

#8 Posted by withateethuh (726 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" Fuck rewards. I feel like cod and achievements have ruined many games because people just play for their metascore rather than for fun. As for me, I'm done until mlg comes out with their bitchin settings. Fallout until then. "
You're complaining about people not playing for fun, and then you say you're waiting for mlg.  

I'm not sure is this computes.
#9 Posted by Reizarvg (101 posts) -
@krystians said:
" Like I wanna know that the guys I am playing who are captains and such are really good, not just some little kid farming for Cr.  "
The people you're playing with are at roughly the same level as you. The visible rank has absolutely no bearing on skill and is not used to determine who faces who in matchmaking. True skill is still being used for that stuff, you just can't see it anymore.
#10 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

Bungie probably aren't going to change the ranking system, as already stated it's still there. It's basically the numbered ranks you remember from Halo 3, except you don't see that number per playlist, it's hidden, but it's there. It's the first month of the games release, the matchmaking won't be working properly just yet, people need to play enough games to get them into the system properly, it's the same reason why playing more Firefight gets you more games that don't lag. Give it time, it'll even out eventually.

As for getting somewhere with a rank and cR, you wanna aim for a piece of armor you think is really cool, or aim for targets like "I'll get this rank by this time" or ignore what rank you are altogether and just aim for finishing the daily/weekly challenges.

#11 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

HAHAHA you "do more work, and play much harder." 

Guy, it's a video game relax.

#12 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" Fuck rewards. I feel like cod and achievements have ruined many games because people just play for their metascore rather than for fun. As for me, I'm done until mlg comes out with their bitchin settings. Fallout until then. "
While I think MLG is fucking hilarious, I agree 300% with your sentiment.
#13 Posted by Herreno (333 posts) -

Try some more arena, you get a clear indication of how well you do compared to others if you stick with it.

#14 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" @DystopiaX said:
While I think MLG is fucking hilarious, I agree 300% with your sentiment. "
I don't like MLG as much as I thought their settings for H3 were 1000 times better than Bungie's.
#15 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@withateethuh said:
" @DystopiaX said:
You're complaining about people not playing for fun, and then you say you're waiting for mlg.    I'm not sure is this computes. "
I like the settings, I'm not trying to become pro. They just know how to make Halo more fun than Bungie's default settings.
#16 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -

While I agree with most of what's said in the topic post, that's just not how Reach is set up. In Halo 3, the rank was a combination of time spent playing and skill. In Reach, rank is entirely time spent, and the skill side is put into arena. I think most people want to know that they don't need to be a great player in order to make steady, continuous progress. 

I recommend spending more time in arena. The skill ranking you're looking for is already there; It's in the arena. Or just realize rank for what it is in Reach: a measure of time spent playing, and nothing more. Or hey, maybe Reach just isn't for you. I know I enjoyed 2, 3, and ODST a hell of a lot more than Reach.

#17 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @withateethuh said:
" @DystopiaX said:
You're complaining about people not playing for fun, and then you say you're waiting for mlg.    I'm not sure is this computes. "
I like the settings, I'm not trying to become pro. They just know how to make Halo more fun than Bungie's default settings. "
It totally makes sense. You can enjoy MLG playlists without needing to play for any kind of metascore or achievement.
#18 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@krystians: Agree with you to a certain point, all bungie have to do is display your Trueskill beside your name then everybody will be happy like in halo 3.
#19 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

"work" and "video games" are two sets of words that should never be put together in my opinion. Games are for fun, to escape for a few hours, to be stuff you can never be in real life. It's as if you're saying that you don't get enough credits (salary) for the work (job) you put in...that's kinda sad.

****I'm reffering to playing video games and not working as a developer, journalist, PR person, etc....****

#20 Posted by krystians (402 posts) -

After reading the comments, I would like to say that I will just play the game and enjoy it. Thanks for everyones opinions. 

#21 Posted by arch4non (442 posts) -

I play the game to play the game. I enjoy being in the battlefield, making split-second decisions, witnessing those "loose nail in the horseshoe" chain reactions and seeing how they play out. Rankings don't really mean anything, they're just a measurement of how many hours you've put into the game. All credits do is unlock armor pieces which nobody cares about except you, besides that they're equally meaningless. They're two small cogs in a much larger machine and if you're only fixated on those specific cogs then you lose sight of the machine's actual function.

What is that function? It is to barrel down a hill with a loaded up warthog, running someone over while gunning down his friends. It is to kill the enemy flag carrier inches away from scoring with two seconds left on the clock. It is to spend hours in Forge mode making the perfect map, then basking in the glory of creation as your friends enjoy playing a few rounds on it.

If all you get out of Reach is credit farming or all you're interested in is having pieces of armor, then perhaps you should play World of Warcraft instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.