With Halo Reach comes a new wave of online jerks.

• 0 results
#1 Edited by TimesHero (677 posts) -

So earlier this evening, I was playing some invasion.  We enter the voting lobby and there are a couple of choices available, Invasion on Boneyard and Invasion Slayer on Boneyard.  One person out of the 12 starts saying "Go for invasion, Invasion slayer sucks."  Now, in my time playing Halo: Reach as well as the Beta, I became fairly familiar with how invasion and invasion slayer worked.  So I politely asked "Hey, do you know how to play it?" and without even letting me finish starts talking loudly into the microphone. "Who the fuck was that?  TimesHero?  Was that you?" to which I replied "Yeah, there are alot of people who don't know how to play invasion slayer so I was-" "Oh yeah you shit talking pansy ass little bitch?  You going to shit talk me?  That's it, you're getting reported! Oh?  What's this?  File complain't?  'A' button. "  so I said, "Buddy, what's you're problem?" and then the game started.  Luckily he was on the other team.  To make a long story short, my team ended up winning.  In the post game lobby, I took the opportunity before everyone left to say "I win." and then I backed out of there. 

Honestly, I've encountered my fair share of internet douche bags in my day, but nothing like that.   Do you have any stories like this?  I'd like to hear them! 

EDIT: The game in question.  I totally forget who it was.  Now I didn't do so hot this round because I decided to be more of a distraction.
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Who says they are new? 

#3 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4672 posts) -
PROTIP: set your "tone" preference to polite. 

Seriously, it works.
#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

aaaawwwwwww.....I prefer firefight because people seem way more reasonable, like you can actually talk to them. The internet is the asshole highway these things you should know

#5 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

I think you are confusing a new wave of online jerks with the same people.

#6 Posted by adoggz (2062 posts) -

i cant wait til the new weed references... I mean cod game comes out and gets rid of a bunch of these jackasses.

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

That sounds like something I would do. 

I should start doing that.

#8 Posted by Potter9156 (941 posts) -

To be fair, Invasion Slayer is dumb. I wouldn't say it sucks, but eeeehhh. I'm no internet asshole(or I.A), but when people vote for crappy games(SWAT again? Seriously?) even I go apeshit. Not into a mic though. I'm a classy internet asshole(or C.I.A), which is a completely different thing.

#9 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

How is this new? Sounds like the regular online douches. Your first mistake was to be playing with your mic on. I only use my mic when I'm in party chat.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21477 posts) -

I've never had anything quite like that happen before in any of my multiplayer experiences. Then again I've never played a Halo game, or CoD which is known to share a similar community.

#11 Posted by TimesHero (677 posts) -
@Fullmetal216 said:
" I think you are confusing a new wave of online jerks with the same people. "
Naw bro, in my nealy 2500 games of halo 3 in the past 3 years, I have never encountered anyone like THAT before.  
#12 Posted by Noodles (539 posts) -
@TimesHero said:
" @Fullmetal216 said:
" I think you are confusing a new wave of online jerks with the same people. "
Naw bro, in my nealy 2500 games of halo 3 in the past 3 years, I have never encountered anyone like THAT before.   "
I don't think you're playing on the same Xbox Live as everyone else.
#13 Posted by kariyanine (216 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" PROTIP: set your "tone" preference to polite.  Seriously, it works. "
It really does, the only problem I've run into is when I'm playing in a friend's party with different preferences.
#14 Posted by RedAuerbach (38 posts) -

Profile > Mute > Problem solved

#15 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -
@TimesHero: Interesting, because I've run into some particularly nasty people during my online Halo experiences. Maybe you're just lucky?
#16 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

You're on Xbox Live...

#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -
@kariyanine said:
" @KingWilly said:
It really does, the only problem I've run into is when I'm playing in a friend's party with different preferences. "
The preference settings don't make Matchmaking run any slower for you?
#18 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

In my time with Halo 3 I found the best way to avoid online jerks, but it may not be ideal for you. Aside from about 5 or 6 games, I didn't really play any Halo 3 multiplayer until 2010. Seriously. As a result, there were very few jerks. The kinds of people who tell you that you're playing wrong or take the game so seriously that they scream into the mic when things don't go their way don't get matched up with me because they're so much farther into the game. It's much more relaxed and few people even use mics. Most people are newer or just don't play very often.

It was a real shock when I played the Reach beta and was thrown in with the crazy people. I was reporting people for racist language every 4th game or so, people were screaming at everyone else to play differently, there were very vocal people trying to influence map selection, etc. I'm a little worried about playing Reach when my copy finally gets here tomorrow. Hopefully the filters work well enough.

#19 Posted by kariyanine (216 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok: it did on Tuesday when it launched but since then I haven't had any problems with delay getting into games.
#20 Posted by Milkman (16619 posts) -

WOAH WOAH WOAH! Wait just a doggone minute here! You're telling me that people on Xbox Live, on Halo even, are being dicks? Well, never in all my days have I heard such an accusation. I'll be sure to write to my local Congressman about this. 

#21 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

The psychological profile thingy really works. I thought it didn't because every game I was dumped in with complete assholes, but I noticed somehow my setting was changed to "Rowdy", so I flipped it back and I haven't heard a racist slur since!  

I've encountered way worse in Halo 3 and Gears of War though, so this is far from a new wave. 

#22 Posted by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
this. Didn't even set it to competitive or whatever but now people either talk about their life (if they're in a party with someone they know), just call-out or communicate about the game, or don't say anything.
#23 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

thats the worst person youve met online? Ive personally said meaner shit than that before. :P

#24 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

This comes with any super popular online shooter. Nothing new.

#25 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -
@Potter9156 said:
" To be fair, Invasion Slayer is dumb. I wouldn't say it sucks, but eeeehhh. I'm no internet asshole(or I.A), but when people vote for crappy games(SWAT again? Seriously?) even I go apeshit. Not into a mic though. I'm a classy internet asshole(or C.I.A), which is a completely different thing. "
lmfao CIA i like that. 

yeah i wanted to play some CTF on blood gulch (hemohrage) the other day because of nostalgia but everyone kept voting for that stupid map that i cant remember the name of.  i raged 
but i didnt have a mic.
#26 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@KingWilly: @KingWilly said:
YES. THIS. 

I changed those settings expecting them to do pretty much nothing and, lo and behold, everyone I've played with since has been really cool.
#27 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -
I hate going into matchmaking because I know everyone is going to pick the "pro" gametypes every-time guaranteed, it gets even worse ingame once my teammates decide this isn't fun too and quit. I never really had this problem with Halo 3  these pro  
Fatal1ty brand gametypes never showed up in playlists until months after it's launch. The psych profile  should include gametype preferences.
#28 Posted by natetodamax (19190 posts) -

Welcome to Xbox LIVE!

#29 Posted by eillothebadger (82 posts) -

There's only so many 10yr old manc kids singing one person can take. Just switch off the chat, I've never discussed the history of the world and theology with some random XBL gamer anyway.

#30 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

I wasn't totally sure if you meant in the game, or on message boards :P

#31 Posted by carlthenimrod (1593 posts) -

There's lots of crazies on XBL. My advice is to not even bother interacting with them and just mute.

#32 Posted by punk_beatzUK (29 posts) -

Unless I'm playing with a mate I don't even bother putting my headset on. Frankly, I don't see the point in conversing with people I don't know unless I'd actually like to get to know them :)

#33 Posted by MrMuscle (446 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
"PROTIP: set your "tone" preference to polite.  Seriously, it works. "

This! ive done the same and ive actually gotten quite a few new friends from multiplayer allready.
#34 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

One tip, don't talk to people who scream "This map/gametype sucks", it's like approaching a crackjunk to ask him if he knows how to use it and what the side effects are.

Funny note, did Team Slayers and at the vote screen one guy went mental screaming: NOT ELITE SLAYER NO NO NO and when it got picked he went WHY GODDAMNIT ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME OH MY FUCKING GOD.

I cried with laughter xD
Also, party chat ftw!

#35 Posted by Stackboy (489 posts) -

Same jerks, different game.

#36 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Make gaming friends through other friends XBL parties, avoid game chat at ALL costs.

#37 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

And with a new game comes new babies to cry about everything

#38 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@TimesHero: What xbox live are you on? Cause the one im on has little kids screaming and people who like to talk shit over the internet.
#39 Posted by Fattony12000 (7270 posts) -

L3G4L153D4HKU5H

#40 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Welcome to online gaming, buddy.

#41 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" How is this new? Sounds like the regular online douches. Your first mistake was to be playing with your mic on. I only use my mic when I'm in party chat. "
This. Party chat or no chat.
#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

I just set my shit over to polite, and it works perfectly. 

Hahah once, 15 people picked Headhunter in a big team battle, and I hear the one guy say "So... I guess we're playing headhunter" in the most pissed off way possible. 

#43 Posted by ROBdaMOB (174 posts) -

Thats why you got to party up make some good friends 

#44 Posted by TimesHero (677 posts) -
@ROBdaMOB said:
"  Thats why you got to party up make some good friends  "
Can't unless you talk to people online first.
#45 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -

Saturday afternoon.  My first game of the day that I was getting warmed up on. This
kid told me that I should return the game for a full refund because I sucked so bad
at it.

#46 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

You see, that's why I don't play my 360 online. Because I know it's full of ass holes that abuse the "Report" button. That's why I stick with PC. A lot of mature people on there. Sometimes I'll play my PS3 also. A lot of my friends are migrating to that system because they're tired of getting reported for winning at a game they're good at.

#47 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" You see, that's why I don't play my 360 online. Because I know it's full of ass holes that abuse the "Report" button. That's why I stick with PC. A lot of mature people on there. Sometimes I'll play my PS3 also. A lot of my friends are migrating to that system because they're tired of getting reported for winning at a game they're good at. "
What? You can't get banned if someone reports you and you haven't done anything other than beating them in the game.
#48 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@louiedog said:
" @ch13696 said:
" You see, that's why I don't play my 360 online. Because I know it's full of ass holes that abuse the "Report" button. That's why I stick with PC. A lot of mature people on there. Sometimes I'll play my PS3 also. A lot of my friends are migrating to that system because they're tired of getting reported for winning at a game they're good at. "
What? You can't get banned if someone reports you and you haven't done anything other than beating them in the game. "
Being banned isn't the worry. It's the fact that most of the people are annoying.
#49 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @louiedog said:
" @ch13696 said:
What? You can't get banned if someone reports you and you haven't done anything other than beating them in the game. "
Being banned isn't the worry. It's the fact that most of the people are annoying. "
Then what does it matter if they report you? You brought it up twice. Who cares? Nothing will happen.
#50 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

Welcome to playing videogames on the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.